• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GSA
1 1

56 posts in this topic

I've been saving some money back and not touching it for nothing. And finally with the stimulus check and what money I had saved I finally got one. Been dreaming of owning a CC ever since I started collecting. I really wanted one from the GSA hoard also. I had to settle for one of the more common date CCs but that's fine with me. I'm not picky. Whoever pre owned it took really good care of it. The box and card doesn't have a spot or crinkled corner or nothing. The holder doesn't have a scratch on it nowhere. It was all in mint condition.  It is an 1883 ms64.  My question is what are the lines of metal around the stars and letters? Kinda favors a die crack. It's on both sides of the coin. And goes most the distance around the coin. Hard to tell by my pics. You can really see it above STATES on the reverse. Polish_20210320_122836456.thumb.jpg.062235612b0b26872e65d179f4bc1f45.jpgPolish_20210320_122739778.thumb.jpg.63a16d0646a78ecd9ba76293fcee3245.jpgWhatever it is I'm still honored to own it. Been dreaming of owning one of these for a very long time. I'm so happy I finally got to add a CC GSA to the collection. Took me a little over 2 years but finally got her.  

1 minute ago, zadok said:

the E Pluribus n the States Of lines r die cracks....

That's pretty neat. They go almost all the way around. That makes it even better. 

1 minute ago, zadok said:

by cracky i agree with u....

Thank you my good friend. Whoever owned this before must have had it put up somewhere and never had it out. The packaging is in excellent shape. Was it 1972 when the hoard was discovered?  The card has that date at the bottom. 

2 minutes ago, zadok said:

ur eye better?....almost spring time, be coin striking time before u know it.....

It's doing really good.  We been doing some planning. Probably start working on the dies next weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you my good friend. Whoever owned this before must have had it put up somewhere and never had it out. The packaging is in excellent shape. Was it 1972 when the hoard was discovered?  The card has that date at the bottom. 

The hoard was discovered in the early-1960's.  The GSA started selling them in 1972 for a few years and the final sale was 1980 or 1981. 

I'm plumb tickled right now. Like a little kid on Christmas morning. I made myself a promise I was gonna own one. I've been hiding money in a rat hole for 2 years and not touching it for nothing. And took a bit out of that stimulus check and got her.  I really wanted to get an 1880 or one with a lower mintage but it would have been 3 more years of saving for one. So I figured I'd just go with a more common one. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

I'm plumb tickled right now. Like a little kid on Christmas morning. I made myself a promise I was gonna own one. I've been hiding money in a rat hole for 2 years and not touching it for nothing. And took a bit out of that stimulus check and got her.  I really wanted to get an 1880 or one with a lower mintage but it would have been 3 more years of saving for one. So I figured I'd just go with a more common one. 

Bingo......I see 66+ for $900 and I saw a 67+ for $16,000.....best to get one today and enjoy it and if Lady Luck smiles down on you in a few years, then upscale it.  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Nice !!  Enjoy !!  Check out the auctions for GSA MSDs over at GC or HA sometime...even if you don't bid, it's instructive and you learn.

I love watching those GC auctions. I've bought a few off of them. Got a few decent coins at excellent prices. Got a couple where I was the only bidder. 

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I love watching those GC auctions. I've bought a few off of them. Got a few decent coins at excellent prices. Got a couple where I was the only bidder. 

The HA auctions are fun because you see the items go by in real-time, whereas GC has them all end (or most of them) at the same time.  Plus you can see the actual final bidding on HA as the item comes up for sale AND you hear the automated voice and the "dummy" auctioneer in the upper right.

Heritage is fun and even an internet idiott like me was able to maneuver around and learn.  Check it out, lotsa fun.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

From Heritage:  1883-CC $1 GSA MS66+ NGC. A plentiful date among Carson City Morgan dollars. The vast majority of coins that the GSA distributed in the 1970s were 1882-CC, 1883-CC, and 1884-CC dollars. More than 2.3 million examples of those three issues were distributed, representing 80% of the total distribution. This Premium Gem is exquisite, displaying satin luster on its brilliant and untoned silver surfaces.

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

The HA auctions are fun because you see the items go by in real-time, whereas GC has them all end (or most of them) at the same time.  Plus you can see the actual final bidding on HA as the item comes up for sale AND you hear the automated voice and the "dummy" auctioneer in the upper right.

Heritage is fun and even an internet insufficiently_thoughtful_person like me was able to maneuver around and learn.  Check it out, lotsa fun.(thumbsu

I'll have to check them out. Love listening to those auctioneers work their magic. When I was a kid we lived beside an auction house. It totally amazed me watching. They done it every Tuesday and Saturday night. You could hear them from our yard. I used to ride my bike over and watch. 

I'll have to check them out. Love listening to those auctioneers work their magic. When I was a kid we lived beside an auction house. It totally amazed me watching. They done it every Tuesday and Saturday night. You could hear them from our yard. I used to ride my bike over and watch. 

I was at the FUN 2020 auction and in the audience when the bidding for the 1927-D Saint hit $2 MM+. (thumbsu

I had my camera over my head...my friends said I better be careful, raise them anymore and I'd be bidding for the coin !!!! xD

For Heritage, it's now only phone and internet bidding but before Covid they'd be at various locales (or their Dallas hdqtr) so you'd have 3 different bid sources coming in.  But I'd say 95% of the winners except the really big stuff was from the internet. 

I've won a few coins and lots of bills via HA.  

4 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I was at the FUN 2020 auction and in the audience when the bidding for the 1927-D Saint hit $2 MM+. (thumbsu

I had my camera over my head...my friends said I better be careful, raise them anymore and I'd be bidding for the coin !!!! xD

For Heritage, it's now only phone and internet bidding but before Covid they'd be at various locales (or their Dallas hdqtr) so you'd have 3 different bid sources coming in.  But I'd say 95% of the winners except the really big stuff was from the internet. 

I've won a few coins and lots of bills via HA.  

My luck I'd scratch my head or something and end up owing them a million :roflmao:. Hopefully all this stuff clears up and they end up getting back to the live stuff.  

Just now, Alex in PA. said:

Bought my GSA CCs a long time ago on EBay.  That will be something to hold on to.  In the long term you will get more than your money back.

I'll probably end up passing it down to my kids. It's hard telling how much it will be worth by time they get my age. 

I seen a seller on EBAY just selling one of those cards only for over 300.  Said card only. No coin or box. Cant remember if it was an 1893 or something. I know it was 1890 something. It was a rare date CC.  Cant remember. I thought that was awfully high for just a card.  It was the same kind of card pictured above that comes with the GSA boxes. 

8 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I'll probably end up passing it down to my kids. It's hard telling how much it will be worth by time they get my age. 

Like I/we always say....assume the value goes DOWN by 50% or even 75% when you want to sell it or when your kids sell it.....and if you're OK with that, then even a modest decline won't matter.  Just enjoy it while you have it.

That's what I do !!  (thumbsu

Actually, I think heirs wouldn't mind looking up the values for a few dozen items and finding out it's worth a nice 4-figure or 5-figure sum behind the usual estate stuff like homes, stocks and bonds, IRAs, a business, etc.

Of course, nobody wants to look up the price of THOUSANDS of items if 99.9% of them are worth under $5. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I seen a seller on EBAY just selling one of those cards only for over 300.  Said card only. No coin or box. Cant remember if it was an 1893 or something. I know it was 1890 something. It was a rare date CC.  Cant remember. I thought that was awfully high for just a card.  It was the same kind of card pictured above that comes with the GSA boxes. 

I saw an 1883 MS64 on HA with Edmund Moy label for $330 in December 2020.  Seller would invite offers of $500 today.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/gsa-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1883-cc-1-gsa-moy-signature-ms64-ngc-this-lot-also-includes-a-carson-city-mint-coin-bag-piece-measured-1-inch-by-1-inch/a/132053-29497.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515