• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Search of 1850 Half Cent (63-64RB)
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Please let me know if you have a 1849 (Large Date) or 1850 Braided Hair Half Cent that you would like to sell.  I am looking for examples that are MS63-64RB - the redder the better!

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 11/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Been a while, and still in search - worth a "bump" in hope.

Mmm, you may want to rethink the “red” thing. It invites artificial brightening. I am instantly suspicious of all large cents with red on them. I go for chocolate brown.

Okay gang... I am resurrecting this one because I only have the 1850 left.  I would love it in 64BN, but could go 63.

Here is a link to my set, so you can get a feel for what I am going for.

Neo's Braided Hair Set

I like your set Neo. I can check the dealer near me but I think they are all raw coins in 2x2 no PCGS or NGC holder half's.

A dealer has told me that someone has been buying up and hoarding 1850 half cents in all grades, which is why you may be having trouble finding one in higher grade and why they've become so expensive. Tomorrow's (8/29) Stack's Bowers internet only auction has one graded AU 55 (lot 10149), and the current bid is $600 ($720 with buyer's fee). You may have to wait until the hoarder disperses the hoard.

Thanks Sandon.  There are a few available in MS61, but I don't love them.  There was one that was in MS64RB that went to auction last week at Heritage, but I was blown out in bidding and lost.  It was a beauty, but someone wanted it more than me.... we would have been in a non-stop price war to the moon if I didn't tap out.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:38 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Set is now complete - coins no longer needed.

Now, how long before your face starts to itch to complete something else?

On 7/19/2023 at 7:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Now, how long before your face starts to itch to complete something else?

Well, this is just the first leg of the whole thing.  I am doing a full date set 1793-1857, but I am also adding quite a few varieties (1804 Crosslet, Plain, Spiked Chin, etc).  I am about 75% complete with the bigger set, but most of the coins left are tough.  I will likely only get a few a year from here on out.  That said, it's coming together, and I love the hunt the most anyway.

I had a "side collection" with the Proof Mercury Dimes, but finished it.  That leaves me in the process of looking for a project while I wait for the right half cents.  I was thinking I may get into Civil War Store Cards.  They are historical, interesting, and won't compete with my half cent budget.  The only problem is I have no idea how to price them yet.  They all feel "affordable" next to US Coins, but... the collector base is small also.  So, I am taking that one slow, because there is not as much data on the tokens.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:02 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I myself never had patience to complete a full series or set of coins or just became to bored with a series . But congrats on your achievements.  

This one is a walk in the park.  There are only 8 business strikes.  All of them are scarce from a mintage standpoint, but they are all readily available and IMO bargain priced.  This is one I might do again in XF, just for fun (well, more fun).