• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing myself!
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is Jim.  I have been collecting Coins for about 20 years now.  Have just recently paid for my NGC membership so I can start doing submissions.  I love this hobby, and am becoming more, and more active in it. I am anticipating a time when my life surrounds my interest in numismatics. I am reaching out to others in my area of the world, Hutchinson Kansas.  Looking for friends to talk with, compare coins and other collectible silvers, and gold! I want to be part of a coin club, however have not found an active group as of yet!  So this is me reaching out to you.  I hope to hear from you. 

Welcome to the forums. :)  I hope you enjoy your time spent here and make a few friendships as well, we have a great group here with many well educated collectors who enjoy helping others.  Sadly I am not close to you geographically nor do I know if there are any coin clubs in your area.  You might attempt to reach out to any dealers in your area to see if they know of any clubs.  Also this site Click here lists some shows for each state and may help you if you decide to attend any shows.

Please tell us what you collect, any specific areas of specialization or sets that you are actively collecting, I am mostly a copper collector with some type and date sets going as well.

14 minutes ago, Jimscollecting said:

Hello, my name is Jim.  I have been collecting Coins for about 20 years now.  Have just recently paid for my NGC membership so I can start doing submissions.  I love this hobby, and am becoming more, and more active in it. I am anticipating a time when my life surrounds my interest in numismatics. I am reaching out to others in my area of the world, Hutchinson Kansas.  Looking for friends to talk with, compare coins and other collectible silvers, and gold! I want to be part of a coin club, however have not found an active group as of yet!  So this is me reaching out to you.  I hope to hear from you. 

Hutch Juco (as I still call it) Blue Dragons represent; that and McCandless Bulldogs (as they now are called). We lived on E 14th and I was forbidden to ride my bike past the intersection with Lorraine. Dad worked at Cessna. Both parents are from Chase County but lived my early years mostly in Hutch. When I was a kid, there was only a small planetarium where the Cosmosphere is now; they built the building around it, it's a little round demonstration room now. My first cool coin find was an old Barber dime outside the ranch house carriage-room north of Strong City, and that's what launched me on collecting.

For a club, I'd ask this fellow. He'd know. There's a listed ANA member club in Hutch, but I presume you have connected and found it was inactive. I'm in Oregon now, and don't get back home very often, so I know little.

15 minutes ago, JKK said:

Hutch Juco (as I still call it) Blue Dragons represent; that and McCandless Bulldogs (as they now are called). We lived on E 14th and I was forbidden to ride my bike past the intersection with Lorraine. Dad worked at Cessna. Both parents are from Chase County but lived my early years mostly in Hutch. When I was a kid, there was only a small planetarium where the Cosmosphere is now; they built the building around it, it's a little round demonstration room now. My first cool coin find was an old Barber dime outside the ranch house carriage-room north of Strong City, and that's what launched me on collecting.

For a club, I'd ask this fellow. He'd know. There's a listed ANA member club in Hutch, but I presume you have connected and found it was inactive. I'm in Oregon now, and don't get back home very often, so I know little.

Hey there.  Yes.  It is still Hutch Juco..   

For a club you would ask what fellow?  

Just now, Jimscollecting said:

Hey there.  Yes.  It is still Hutch Juco..   

For a club you would ask what fellow?  

I made that line into a link you can click on. He has a longtime coin store in Hutch. He would totally know of any local clubs. If you can't find one in Reno County, next ANA member club possibility would be the one in Salina. As you might imagine, a lot of clubs are meeting virtually right now, mine (Willamette) included.

If the one in Hutch is not active, here is a link showing clubs in KS, and I see two in Wichita. One of them's probably still alive. It's a little drive there and back, of course, but a lot of rural collectors make such drives all over the country. Some of the Salem (an hour south) folks often come to our meetings here in Portland, and we try to visit their shows (that's how many clubs make money to have nice things).

Your best resources are the local coin vendors, because they're the ones that hope for the local collectors' business. In most places, it's not that huge a community, so you just need to hit the outposts that enable you to connect with it. Of course, there are shops who just give grumpy mumbling about their local clubs, but can't hurt to ask.

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

I made that line into a link you can click on. He has a longtime coin store in Hutch. He would totally know of any local clubs. If you can't find one in Reno County, next ANA member club possibility would be the one in Salina. As you might imagine, a lot of clubs are meeting virtually right now, mine (Willamette) included.

If the one in Hutch is not active, here is a link showing clubs in KS, and I see two in Wichita. One of them's probably still alive. It's a little drive there and back, of course, but a lot of rural collectors make such drives all over the country. Some of the Salem (an hour south) folks often come to our meetings here in Portland, and we try to visit their shows (that's how many clubs make money to have nice things).

Your best resources are the local coin vendors, because they're the ones that hope for the local collectors' business. In most places, it's not that huge a community, so you just need to hit the outposts that enable you to connect with it. Of course, there are shops who just give grumpy mumbling about their local clubs, but can't hurt to ask.

You are correct.  Nice to meet you, and thanks! 😃

3 hours ago, Jimscollecting said:

Thanks.  I collect basically anything US currency. Paper, copper, silver, gold, or other. Such as errors, anything obscure that attracts my attention old or other wise.  

Welcome !  I am into Morgans, Saints, Vatican coinage, and moderns, including commemoratives.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Welcome! Members here will uniformly do their best to be honest and helpful - and occasionally a bit funny. Ask any question, even the ones that might seem trivial; therein lies what brings the hobby to life.