• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930 Capped Bust Half Dollar - Variant?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hello,

This 1930 capped bust half dollar has stars that have an outstretched "arm" all around the obverse of the coin.

Is this a recognized variant or is it just a normal error that is ignored? 

I say ignored because I have seen it a couple of times and on one of them, it was in a PGCS holder with no mention of this aspect of the coin...just the size of the 0.

Thank you ahead of time for the insights.

s-l500.jpg

I would very much like to hear the answers here because this sort of rim device elongation out from the center is a definite marker in ancient Roman silver, but I've never learned exactly what caused it.

Its fairly common in this series, as I recall it had something to do with the materials and machinery of the time.   Its was a long time ago that I read about this and I just don't recall what I read then fully, hopefully someone else that is more versed in the series can give a more detailed explanation.   I believe that the bust half collectors that collect by die marriage use the shape of some of those stars, and how elongated they are, to help id the die marriages.  

not especially rare, it is a documented variety in the bust halves (O-105?).....others similar dated 1808,10,12 to lesser degrees ......some early coppers have same effects......

4 hours ago, Fabrosee said:

This 1930 capped bust half dollar has stars that have an outstretched "arm" all around the obverse of the coin.

s-l500.jpg

[To the OP:  Why the fixation on 1930, twice cited by you (in the title of this post and again in this column)?  The numerals on your coin are beyond extraordinary: an authentic 1, an 8 with a stylistic flourish, a 3 with rounded ends, and best of all, the over-sized 0 -- all raised, all with beveled edges!  Aside from the "cigarette burn" i/f/o the bust, is it safe to assume this coin cannot be graded? How does the reverse look? This coin really has a lot going for it. I like it. I take it you were taken by its various strong attributes too.]

Now for the question Rick of Pawn Stars asks after David Vagi, the Director of Ancients at NGC, examines a prospective customer's coin with a loupe, and states his expert, professional opinion:

"How much is it worth?"

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I can't believe it took seven responses before the OP got a serious, detailed answer.

[Quite frankly, our Alex of PA. could have answered the OP's question:  Is this a recognized variant or is it just a normal error that is ignored? with just that emoji slapping his forehead.]

18 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Later die state.

On a Fictitious Note: A "later die state" is one West of the Mississippi River; these are California and Nevada, and almost Oregon.

"Early die states" are East of the Mississippi; these are Pennsylvania, Louisiana, North Carolina and Georgia, and almost New York.

;)

1 hour ago, RWB said:

On a Fictitious Note: A "later die state" is one West of the Mississippi River; these are California and Nevada, and almost Oregon.

"Early die states" are East of the Mississippi; these are Pennsylvania, Louisiana, North Carolina and Georgia, and almost New York.

;)

[In the humor department, dry or otherwise, you are unquestionably without peer.]😉

[One take-away from this "example"-- some SIX PAGES long (with God knows how many attributions, with sub-sections, yet!) -- is rank amateurs like me, with no real knowledge of the specific subject matter under discussion, ought to refrain from commenting, i.e., keep our big mouths shut before we make a laughing-stock of ourselves, if we haven't done so already. A most self-illuminating reference if ever there was one.]

22 hours ago, RWB said:

;)

Are you trying to get the entertainment gig at the ANA convention dinner?  :roflmao:

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Well I don't get here every day. :)

[Stick to the east side. The 4, 5 and 6 are more reliable.]  😉

On 3/13/2021 at 9:34 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Are you trying to get the entertainment gig at the ANA convention dinner?  :roflmao:

Naw....I checked the pay scale. Not even I work for that little.....

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Just for the record: Louisiana is almost completely on the west side of the Mississippi River. ;)

Yes, it seems like the Louisiana State Pen at Angola lies East of the River and its northern most boundary is Mississippi's southwestern most border.  The NYC subway's east and westside lines do not go down that far.  😉

I do need to make a correction to my first comment.  I said the other denominations don't have the star pointing at the rim.  This is true of the Seated Liberty coins but incorrect for the capped bust.

On 3/13/2021 at 8:34 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Entertainment is strictly forbidden at ANA dinners. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I recall ANA President Grover Criswell put on something of a show at the 1977 convention banquet. The ANA's board subsequently drafted a formal apology as one of 20 resolutions it was to vote on, but the resolutions as a whole failed to pass a later vote of the board.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

[I am still trying to picture you running around with your 4 x 5 speed graphic at coin shows.] 😉

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I am still trying to picture you running around with your 4 x 5 speed graphic at coin shows.] 😉

Not a Speed Graphic. A Linhof view camera. 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Not a Speed Graphic. A Linhof view camera. 

[Thought I'd bait you with something Weegee used whose name, understandably, would be unfamiliar to new and younger coin collectors. 😉  My childhood friend had a nice Leica. With the advent of cell phones, they had a good laugh about seven years ago when I walked into a CVS and asked what happened to all the disposable one-use portable pocket cameras. I believe Willoughy and Peerless are the only survivors of Photography Row In the Penn Station area.]

36 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Thought I'd bait you with something Weegee used whose name, understandably, would be unfamiliar to new and younger coin collectors. 😉  My childhood friend had a nice Leica. With the advent of cell phones, they had a good laugh about seven years ago when I walked into a CVS and asked what happened to all the disposable one-use portable pocket cameras. I believe Willoughy and Peerless are the only survivors of Photography Row In the Penn Station area.]

B&H Photo is the king.