• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Dime errors
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, RickT86 said:

I also have a 2019 D dime that looks the same

If it looks the same than it's likely also a spooned coin.

In the future start a new thread if you would like to ask about a coin instead of digging up a thread started over 2 years ago.

It looks like its been spooned. For whatever reason people take a spoon and repeatedly tap the edges until they flatten out like that. I guess some may be art projects and some may be boredem. Some may do it to try and pass them off as a mint error to a newer collector. Hard to say what people are thinking when they spoon them. 

A Dryer coin is a coin as they have explained to you that has been spun by centrifugal force( in an inner dryer drum or equivalent) on its edge over and over and over. This causes the reeding to wear away and as the coin heats up each time its spun the centrifugal force slowly squashes the planchet to that thickness. OK? Not magic. Not an error.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

i recently found this 2019 D mint dime. i’m not that experienced in coin collecting whatsoever. i began probably a few weeks ago. and i’m beating my brains up trying to accept if it’s genuine or not. 

i’ve done a handful of research, and have learned some things that could play into this coin. but at the same time it just looks like it was damaged.

help? i need to cure my skepticism. 

C698EEB5-6374-4D92-9166-EC1C9DB04079.jpeg

18BBE71C-90D3-47C5-9E4F-48FB905A2896.jpeg

if you have a question on something it is better to make a new thread than to open an old one. It makes it confusing.

About your coin It looks to be damaged and not a mint error. perhaps some better shots in a new thread would help to see the coin better.

EDITORIAL

Interesting thread. Revived, died, resurrected, revitalized...

And all, for what?

I have a quick fix.  All the experts on ERRORS ought to get together and in one well coordinated, collaborative effort, produce a dedicated TOPIC, entitled:

"Everything You Have Always Wanted to Know About ERRORS, But Were Afraid to Ask." 

My stance is chiseled in marble:  TIME-BARRED BY THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS.

If the coin in question is older than 25 years from date of mintage, it will not be eligible for what invariably turns out to be -- whatever the cause -- nothing more than post-mint damage.  Miles of band-width will be saved and years of man-hours can be redirected toward more pressing matters. IMNSHO.  🐓 

Welcome to the Forum.
You are right, it is just a damaged dime worth 10 cents.
It is only an error if it occurs during the striking of the coin. There is nothing out of the ordinary    
that could have happened at that time on your coin.