• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question

11 posts in this topic

At least VF35 sharpness on the design details, however it does have an "off" look to it in these photos.  I am sort of wondering if its been tooled, this date/mm has a high mintage (for the time) so it seems unlikely to be a fake.

24 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

At least VF35 sharpness on the design details, however it does have an "off" look to it in these photos.  I am sort of wondering if its been tooled, this date/mm has a high mintage (for the time) so it seems unlikely to be a fake.

I ask the seller he say he doesn’t know it’s fake or real 

1 minute ago, Turko said:

I ask the seller he say he doesn’t know it’s fake or real 

Sounds like the seller does not know much, so that brings up the question of how and why is he selling coins.   Maybe he knows more than he is saying maybe not, in any case I would find another coin to spend my money on, but its your decision.

If this coin is genuine, it would be at least a VF given the full liberty.  I agree it looks off to me, but not as off as many cheap Chinese fakes (which would likely have a motto reverse paired with an 1859 obverse).

Edited by jtryka

Attributing seated coinage is not one of my strong points, but I gave this a quick look, and it does appear to be an actual legitimate die pair. (WB-2, I think). As others have stated, though, it has a slightly "off" look to it. It may be a legit piece, but I would pass., especially since the seller can not vouch for its authenticity.

Edited by Just Bob