• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From Mine to Mint
2 2

227 posts in this topic

I'm sure if you can't find an autographed copy that Roger would be happy to sign it sometime in the future if you two should meet.  But I'll let him speak for himself.

Not sure you are interested in the coins, but have you considered purchasing his Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle book ?

7 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm sure if you can't find an autographed copy that Roger would be happy to sign it sometime in the future if you two should meet.  But I'll let him speak for himself.

Not sure you are interested in the coins, but have you considered purchasing his Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle book ?

I plan on purchasing it in the future. I currently don't own any eagles but they are on my bucket list. One of these days I feel like it will happen for me. 

I very much appreciate it. They shipped it already so I must have got one. Im very excited about it. I have done mechanic work for years. I've rebuilt desiel engines, gasoline engines,  also operated dozers and various other equipment. Stuff like that is right up my alley. Once again thank you very much. Instead of my wife getting it for me for Christmas I went ahead and got it myself with some money I had hid from her so I wouldn't have to wait to start reading it. Lol. She wouldn't let me have it. Id have to sneak it out of my stocking like a kid while she was gone. Then try to put it back just how she put it in it. She knows I get in and peak at my presents so she puts them certain ways so she can tell if I've been into them or not. 

6 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I plan on purchasing it in the future. I currently don't own any eagles but they are on my bucket list. One of these days I feel like it will happen for me. 

Even if you don't have the coins, the S-G DE book is fantastic reading.  Year-by-year in-depth analysis of each mintage, plus special sections on lots of topics gold-related from 1907-1933. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Even if you don't have the coins, the S-G DE book is fantastic reading.  Year-by-year in-depth analysis of each mintage, plus special sections on lots of topics gold-related from 1907-1933. (thumbsu

I definitely plan on getting it one day soon. It will be great to read before I end up buying one. Can see which one I want. In all seriousness ill probably take which ever one I can afford first. Lol. But it will be great to learn about them and may be able to choose a good one. Don't know what waiting down the road for me. Thank you so much for recommending it to me    

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I will look into getting Mr Lange's book also. It seems very interesting also. 

Lange's book has apparently gone out of print. But don't over pay. Be patient and a copy will appear on ebay or elsewhere at or below the original list price.

6 minutes ago, RWB said:

Lange's book has apparently gone out of print. But don't over pay. Be patient and a copy will appear on ebay or elsewhere at or below the original list price.

I will keep an eye out for it. Thank you very much 

10 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Id have to sneak it out of my stocking like a kid while she was gone. Then try to put it back just how she put it in it

That would be difficult as it comes wrapped in plastic.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

That would be difficult as it comes wrapped in plastic.

Also, the CD does not respond well to bending....Maybe I should have gotten the CD from that phone company with the flexible screen.

Which reminds me -- not really sure what to do for the next books as far as a digital version for searching. DVD/CD readers  seem to be vanishing and even USB2 plugs are fading. On-line is not an option - the maintenance overhead becomes burdensome.... Carrier pigeons? A brigade of trained ants? 

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Also, the CD does not respond well to bending....Maybe I should have gotten the CD from that phone company with the flexible screen.

Which reminds me -- not really sure what to do for the next books as far as a digital version for searching. DVD/CD readers  seem to be vanishing and even USB2 plugs are fading. On-line is not an option - the maintenance overhead becomes burdensome.... Carrier pigeons? A brigade of trained ants? 

I vote carrier pigeons. Or telephone. You can call and read it to everyone who gets it. Lol. Ill make sure I'm extra careful with it. We are still stuck in the stone age at the house so the CD works great for me. We still got a VCR. Lol. And still use it sometimes. 

I like the old technology. I got an old open cabinet record player from the 60s I still listen to all the time. Got the 8 track in it. Got a couple old 8 tracks I pop in it sometimes. You can tell they are getting old. They are starting to distort a little. 

I just bought a VCR.

Of course I also picked up the equipment and software that will let me convert the VHS tapes to a digital format so I store the material on flash drives.  Have some 600 VHS tapes with about 6 hours of movies on each one.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I just bought a VCR.

Of course I also picked up the equipment and software that will let me convert the VHS tapes to a digital format so I store the material on flash drives.  Have some 600 VHS tapes with about 6 hours of movies on each one.

They are getting expensive aren't they. Or at least they are around here where I live. Used to be able to get one for 20 to 30 bucks. The last 2 I saw were at flea markets and the sellers had them priced around the 70 dollar range. I never looked around though. They just caught my eye while we was out going to flea markets before covid hit. 

I started on chapter VII and then read the book in reverse order for some reason. :facepalm: I think it was because I looked at all the chapter titles and wanted to skip to the machinery first. I then reread it starting with chapter I and it was just as good. :roflmao: 

Mint to Mine, Mine to Mint (shrug)

Enjoy, 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I kinda cheated a little and flipped thru it and looked at some of the pictures. Then I turned back and started at the first. 

Hope you find it enjoyable and informative. It can be read in any order -- even backwards. (But the CD only plays in one direction....)

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I started on chapter VII and then read the book in reverse order for some reason. :facepalm: I think it was because I looked at all the chapter titles and wanted to skip to the machinery first. I then reread it starting with chapter I and it was just as good. :roflmao: 

Mint to Mine, Mine to Mint (shrug)

Enjoy, 

That's fine. The book is in "kinda chronological" order, but I tried to group subject together so differences would be clearer. Still....the CD is a real boon to finding things.

Just a reminder that besides FMTM, Roger has other great books out there.  I'm obviously partial to his book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, as we have a pretty lengthy thread on it.

If you have any Saints or even if the coins are of interest to you, it's a great book with year-by-year mintage data and commentary and special sections on gold coins, gold trade flows, the gold standard, etc.

It's also a much easier read too than FMTM.  Though if you read -- and underestand -- the complexity of FMTM, then stuff about striking and other coinage procedures in the Saints book will be second nature to you.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

4 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just a reminder that besides FMTM, Roger has other great books out there.  I'm obviously partial to his book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, as we have a pretty lengthy thread on it.

If you have any Saints or even if the coins are of interest to you, it's a great book with year-by-year mintage data and commentary and special sections on gold coins, gold trade flows, the gold standard, etc.

It's also a much easier read too than FMTM.  Though if you read -- and underestand -- the complexity of FMTM, then stuff about striking and other coinage procedures in the Saints book will be second nature to you.

I don't have any Saints as of now. Id love to get one but I can't afford any. Hopefully one of these days down the road I will be able to buy one. They are very beautiful coins. 

8 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I don't have any Saints as of now. Id love to get one but I can't afford any. Hopefully one of these days down the road I will be able to buy one. They are very beautiful coins. 

Yes, at a minimum you're buying 1 ounce of gold if you buy a common in low-60's grade.  I have a few of those and am hoping to get a 1907 High Relief in the next year or so.  We'll see.....xD

If you have to wait before you buy a Saint -- and I waited a while, too -- then getting the book and educating yourself is a good backup position to enjoy while you wait/save up.

I probably will get it and read up on them first. Hopefully I can get one sooner than later. Especially if I can sell one these kidneys on the black market. Lol. May throw in a couple toes to go with it. Even if I don't get one I still would like to read up on them. 

ANA has copies available for loan to members. Also, most community libraries participate in "Interlibrary Loan" (ILL) where anyone can borrow books, etc. from other libraries for a small fee - usually $2 or $3. Even the Library of Congress does ILLs !

Edited by RWB

Ill probably just end up buying one of the books and add it to my collection. That way if I ever do get a saint,  and want to know something about it, I can just pull it out and have it. 

3 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Ill probably just end up buying one of the books and add it to my collection. That way if I ever do get a saint,  and want to know something about it, I can just pull it out and have it. 

(thumbsu   (thumbsu   (thumbsu

It's a GREAT reference book, the only thing is it doesn't come in hardcover.  But a MUST if you have interest in gold coins in general and Saints specifically.

If you read the SAINT GAUDENS DE thread here, that'll give you a good flavor for what's in the book.  But basically you have on average 5-7 pages on every year/mintage of Saint-Gaudens coin plus special sections and longer ones on special coins and patterns.