• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to site

24 posts in this topic

I apologize in advance for my ignorance in my clumsiness in my computer skills. And in coins. Not even sure im on the right place. I just had a few questions about coins i am absolutely ignorant about older coins. Ive tried the interweb with no luck just alot of frustration lol. To get to the point, i was recently going through a drawer that was my late mothers and found a few odd looking coins and befor tossing them into my junk drawer ill give it a final shot at researching them just in the off chance "well you get the idea". Dont even know how to begin. I have a couple 1920-29 pennys a 1873 2 cent a handfull of 1930s pennys. If any one can give me any info our need more info be much greatfull.

Edited by Jim Tayler
Surfing while under the influence of dumb.

Welcome to the Forum-For anyone able to help you, a clear picture of BOTH sides sides of the coin is required along with any questions you have. To avoid confusion, please show only one coin per post.

Welcome you have come to the correct place for answers.  As a general rule the 1930's and 1920's cents will not have much value, however there are some from the branch mints (Denver and San Francisco you will see a D or S under the date) that do have so added value.  The 2 cent coin has a few years that are sought after as well, please follow the information that Greenstang gave you and we will give you as much information as we can from your photos.  The better your photos the better we can evaluate and provide you information.  Also do not attempt to clean or otherwise improve the appearance of your coins, you could greatly reduce any value they may have by doing so.

Ok thanks for the reply but my 9yr old was rolling up her penny stash and needed a few extra pennys to make a 50c roll. Seems she left one because of the size difference.lol my luck that million doller coin got traded in for candy.lol hope i didnt waist any of your time.  Im left with a 2cent penny from 1873 not sure how to take photo but if you think it mite be worth looking into i could probably figure it out

The Two Cent Pieces from 1873 were produced only as Proofs and the pictured coin does not look like a Proof or a genuine example. Better pictures might make me think differently, but it’s highly unlikely.

4 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

The Two Cent Pieces from 1873 were produced only as Proofs and the pictured coin does not look like a Proof or a genuine example. Better pictures might make me think differently, but it’s highly unlikely.

Should i take it out of its case

4 minutes ago, Jim Tayler said:

Not sure im replying correctly. Should i take it out of the plastic try n get better photo.

That would probably be the best way. Just in case it might be authentic though, be very careful and only hold the coin by the edges or with cotton gloves so you don't get any oil from your skin on it. Try to get the new pics with the best focus you can so the details will show up better. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Tayler said:

Having a bit of trouble sending the other side but how does it look.

If you can get them closer and that clear, would be very helpful. 

51 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

That would probably be the best way. Just in case it might be authentic though, be very careful and only hold the coin by the edges or with cotton gloves so you don't get any oil from your skin on it. Try to get the new pics with the best focus you can so the details will show up better. 

The weight is correct but nothing about the coin looks genuine.

I have several of theses coins .and i have to agree with the other members .just does not look genuine. I know that sucks to for sure as i myself have felt the way you must feel. As i too have had that luck lol with morgans on ebay .ive got 2 now you can pick up with a magnet .they look great but dont get a magnet around them. 

5 minutes ago, Les French said:

I have several of theses coins .and i have to agree with the other members .just does not look genuine. I know that sucks to for sure as i myself have felt the way you must feel. As i too have had that luck lol with morgans on ebay .ive got 2 now you can pick up with a magnet .they look great but dont get a magnet around them. 

Yep. I got 2 draped bust dollars and a 1921 morgan that like to jump onto a magnet. Luckily tho I got mine from a brother in law. Bought his whole collection and it had enough genuine coins to make up for what I paid.  He and I both knew they was fake already. He just told me to take those to. I put them up to compare them to other coins if I ever buy any.