• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found 1958 d wheat

21 posts in this topic

So I was bored and stopped by the bank and picked up $5 in pennies. First roll o opened had this pretty thing in it . I am trying to learn how to grade my own coins. I an thinking it is about an ms65. Anyone e have any thoughts or input. 

16047804745723721231930791036212.jpg

16047805032471432235504423502013.jpg

It's slow here today so I thought I'd chime in, I think you're in the ballpark.

I agree MS but lower 64, 63 maybe, just too many marks for me on the obv. Nice find!

Let's see what everyone else says, as I'm no expert.

Thanks!!! I am just trying to get a feel for how my grading is complared to others. I do agree about the marks. Astetitcally I like the coin, nice and bright all the details are crisp thats why the 65 for me.

Lets break down the coin to arrive at a grade, first the strike is close but just short of full.  Notice the "O" is formed but not fully shaped as the top left (as you view the rev) is not tall and sharp as it is around the rest of the letter.  Also note the weakness of the "PL" of Pluribus is there but also not full and sharp.  Both of these areas are common to see weakly struck as they are opposite of the deepest part of the obv the lower coat.  There is only so much metal to go around and the coat details generally received the bulk of the metal flow and this area of the rev was starved, again very common to see in Lincoln cent coins.  So grading the strike I call it a technical MS66 level strike for the obv and rev.

Now lets grade the surface; there are a few marks, stains, and fingerprints which are what really bring down the grade.  As the photos are taken with the coin tipped away form the camera I cannot tell for sure how deep the marks are but from what I can see are worth a full point reduction.  The stains and fingerprints take away from the eye appeal of the coin and reduce by another point, perhaps two.  So two to three point deduction for the surface issues; the color looks to be borderline red to red/brown.

That puts the grade at MS64 or 63as long as there is no rub evident when the coin is rotated under light, a nice coin for an album not one that should be considered for slabbing.

Yea I'm bored today thus the whole write-up. :D

Thank you to both of you. I really do appreciate the input. I have no intentions of getting it slabbed...I am just hunting coins and practicing my grading to keep myself in check for when I start to sell. I have only sent one coin in to be stabbed and am still waiting its return..it was really just to get a feel for the process. I will let y'all know how that turnout. 

3 hours ago, scopru said:

What did the poor coin do to you to deserve that? 

It clearly disrespected him. Why else would anyone stab something? xD

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

It clearly disrespected him. Why else would anyone stab something?

For this reason:

On 11/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, Dtkingsley said:

to get a feel for the process.

:roflmao:

42 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I disrespect a lot of the decisions people write about on here.

You and several others from what I have read.  Keeps things interesting as you just never know what replies a comment is going to receive. (thumbsu

Edited by scopru
typo

There is a big change taking place in coins. Be ready. It is all going down Thursday in Newport Beach. You will hear about it. And guess which coin auction company is coming over to my house for a meet and greet with me and my rabbits? 😎

9 hours ago, Modwriter said:

There is a big change taking place in coins. Be ready. It is all going down Thursday in Newport Beach. You will hear about it. And guess which coin auction company is coming over to my house for a meet and greet with me and my rabbits? 😎

What sort of brain-eating parasites are your rabbits harboring? I think a thorough Level 4 biohazard scan may be warranted, my friend. In all seriousness, talk of sudden major changes imminently coming in the hobby does come off sounding a bit unhinged. Be aware of that, and beware.

9 hours ago, Modwriter said:

So big that you buried the announcement deep in someone else's thread, color me a bit skeptical. 

On 11/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, VKurtB said:

What sort of brain-eating parasites are your rabbits harboring? I think a thorough Level 4 biohazard scan may be warranted, my friend. In all seriousness, talk of sudden major changes imminently coming in the hobby does come off sounding a bit unhinged. Be aware of that, and beware.

Everything turned out just fine. Andy showed up at the house took a look at what I had. He was supposed to come back but didn't. My rabbits might have scared him off. We are a scary looking bunch. lol

1 minute ago, Modwriter said:

Everything turned out just fine. Andy showed up at the house took a look at what I had. He was supposed to come back but didn't. My rabbits might have scared him off. We are a scary looking bunch. lol

That or all those XF modern coins in slabs maybe.