• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited Coins- No idea what to do

9 posts in this topic

Hello. I inherited a bunch of coins and I am not sure what to exactly do. My family would like to potentially sell them if they are valuable enough. However, should I send some of them to NGC to get officially graded first? Or should I just head to a local coin dealer?

I will attach the ones that look to be in the best shape. If you need extra photos, just let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

Edited by JPucillo

Welcome to the forum, Let me start by saying I am NOT one of the pros here. Sorry for your family's loss. with out seeing both sides of each coin it will be hard for people to give you a lot of advice.  I would say your Eisenhower, Susan B. Anthony, and Kennedys are not going to be worth the price to get graded. The Kennedys are how ever 80% silver so they are worth a few dollars each. I'm sure the pros will help you with a lot of your other cons. I also suggest you getting a copy of the Red Book for coins.

IWelcome to the Forum-

The only ones that I would send of to be graded would be the three gold coins. Unless a coin is worth over $150.00, it is not worth having graded. The two $5.00 contain 8.24 grams of gold and the $10.00 contains16.9 grams so there is over an ounce of gold in them.

The Morgan's each contain 26.73 grams of silver so they are worth at least that in bullion. To see if they would have any numismatic value, a clear cropped  photo of both sides would be required as condition and the mint mark are important to the actual value.

The Eisenhower dollars are 40% silver so there is bullion value to them.

Taking them to a coin dealer would be the quickest way of selling them but you would only get about 50% of the value as they have to make a profit also.

I'm  sure others will reply with their own ideas but this will give you a starting point.

24 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

The Eisenhower dollars are 40% silver so there is bullion value to them.

How do you figure? I think you meant 65-70 Kennedys, but I don't see any of those in the pics. Except for special issues, my understanding of Ikes is that they are Cu/Ni.

14 minutes ago, JKK said:

my understanding of Ikes is that they are Cu/Ni.

Not all Ikes are Cu/Ni.   The ones out of the blue packs, brown boxes, and Bicentennial Proofs contain silver.  so you need to make sure they are not those types. 

1 minute ago, JTNewell said:

Not all Ikes are Cu/Ni.   The ones out of the blue packs, brown boxes, and Bicentennial Proofs contain silver.  so you need to make sure they are not those types. 

That's the meaning of the "except for special issues" part of what I wrote. Do you see any of those among the OP's Ikes?

Just now, JKK said:

That's the meaning of the "except for special issues" part of what I wrote. Do you see any of those among the OP's Ikes?

you are absolutely correct i missed it.  and also you are correct there isn't any special Ikes there.  the best thing he can do with those and the susan's is take them down to the  corner store and grab a six pack.

I think you have some nice items in the collection.  The 3 gold coins especially and have the most value.  They do look circulated lightly and may not have much value beyond the price of gold.  The Ike dollars and the Susan B. Anthony are worth face, perhaps a bit more on the Ikes(1.30 ea). The Kennedy half dollars are 90% silver but look lightly circulated, so perhaps $9 based on silver value.  If you were going to sell them, I would take them to a coin show or a reputable local dealer.  If you knew a local collector you trusted, you would possibly get a bit more money for them.  Sorry for your loss.  FWIW, I would not get any of the coins graded.