French 20-franc gold rooster
1 1

6 posts in this topic

As the owner of the No.: 1 Registry Set of the above-titled matter [Rooster Roster] my question to collectors is why is it both TPG have produced the following glaringly disparate grading populations results for the following years, as follows:   1899-1906, Mint State-67 = Zero or None (unavailable at any price despite mintages well into the millions.

By contrast, 1907-1914, Mint State-67 = 40  (pejoratively dismissed as re-strikes)

My question posed to fellow rooster collectors who have been stymied in completing their quality compilations is why do you suppose that is?

I collect French minor coinage and it is my opinion that the French Mints of the nineteenth century was not concerned with quality and the coins show it.

[There are a number of varieties and errors in the series which, for whatever reason, are not formally recognized. For example, the original segment, 1899-1906, all have raised lettering on the edge reading, "God Protect France." The restrikes, 1907-1914, read "Liberty * Fraternity * Equality. But some of the 1907's (I believe) were minted with the old slogan. It is quite possible I may have one but I would have to de-encapsulate it to find out. Funny how you know something exists, but it is not formally acknowledged. Anywhere.  I wish you all the best on your rooster hunt!