• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French 20-franc gold rooster

447 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2024 at 4:13 PM, J P M said:

In one of my old books on gold coins it says the restrikes from 1951 are almost always uncirculated and have a strong red-gold color.

Old coin book.jpg

This is confirmed by the “French Red Book”. The restrikes from 1951-1960 exhibit a more red color.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:22 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Q.A.:  I understand you solved a mystery that's been dogging me for the past five years!  Every source I have consulted said the composition of F20F GRs, "original" and "restrike" is comprised of the same exact composition; 90% gold and 10% copper. Your research indicates otherwise!

🐓:  Correctamundo!  Allow me to add a few facts.  "In 1905, the law separating church and state was passed.  The change in legislation led to a change in the motto on the edge of the 20-Francs Maranne Coq coin in 1907 "Dieu Protege la France" ("God Protect France") was replaced by ("Liberte, equalite, fraternite").  In addition, the label wreath was replaced by an oak branch as if to anchor the power of a strong state.

"In terms of size and weight, the Marianne Coq 20-Francs coin is based on the standard 20-Francs coin created by Napoleon I.  It weighs 6.45 grams, is 90% pure gold, i.e., a fine gold weight of 5.81 g. with a diameter of 21 millimeters and a thickness of 1.25 mm.

(Now we come to the fresh information, dug up by Ricky, an inquisitive Rooster if ever there was one...)

The "refrappes Pinay"

"The Marianne Coq coin is also historically exceptional, as it was melted again between 1951 and 1960 in what is known [locally] as the Pinay re-strike.

"In 1948, at the end of the Second World War, gold stocks had been melted down or lost, and coins were badly damaged or cropped. The Banque de France decided to reopen the gold market to revitalize the economy.  To do so, it restruck the popular coin that symbolized strong power:  the Marianne Coq.

"The original dies were used and earlier engraved images were reused. Between 1950 and 1960, 37 million 20 francs Marianne Coq gold coins were re-engraved dating from 1907 to 1914.

"How to recognize them?  In theory, it is difficult to tell the difference berween Pinay refrappes and originals.  However, most of them are in excellent condition, having never been in circulation.  As the machines used for minting are not the same, more precise details can be seen on the Pinay refrapees.  Finally, a mass spectrometer analysis reveals a slightly different metallic composition between the origInal 20 francs coq and the refrappes.  On average the original coins contain 902.63 thousands of gold compared with 900.39 thousandths of gold for the refrapees.  This results in hue and a slightly more coppery color.  (Emphases in bold, throughout, are mine.)

Q.A. Great job!  Before you run off on your next project...any References?

🐓  : Yes. Thomas Numismatics (which lists the five sources they relied on on their website: thomasnumismatics.com

(Posted with the express cooperation and patience of NGC Moderation which  retains the right to edit or delete this post as it sees fit, at their discretion.)

Att:  @J P M and  @VKurtB :

I believe the forgoing post from cell-page 13 of this thread will confirm the information as set forth in the two volumes you cited.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:22 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Q.A.:  I understand you solved a mystery that's been dogging me for the past five years!  Every source I have consulted said the composition of F20F GRs, "original" and "restrike" is comprised of the same exact composition; 90% gold and 10% copper. Your research indicates otherwise!

🐓:  Correctamundo!  Allow me to add a few facts.  "In 1905, the law separating church and state was passed.  The change in legislation led to a change in the motto on the edge of the 20-Francs Maranne Coq coin in 1907 "Dieu Protege la France" ("God Protect France") was replaced by ("Liberte, equalite, fraternite").  In addition, the label wreath was replaced by an oak branch as if to anchor the power of a strong state.

"In terms of size and weight, the Marianne Coq 20-Francs coin is based on the standard 20-Francs coin created by Napoleon I.  It weighs 6.45 grams, is 90% pure gold, i.e., a fine gold weight of 5.81 g. with a diameter of 21 millimeters and a thickness of 1.25 mm.

(Now we come to the fresh information, dug up by Ricky, an inquisitive Rooster if ever there was one...)

The "refrappes Pinay"

"The Marianne Coq coin is also historically exceptional, as it was melted again between 1951 and 1960 in what is known [locally] as the Pinay re-strike.

"In 1948, at the end of the Second World War, gold stocks had been melted down or lost, and coins were badly damaged or cropped. The Banque de France decided to reopen the gold market to revitalize the economy.  To do so, it restruck the popular coin that symbolized strong power:  the Marianne Coq.

"The original dies were used and earlier engraved images were reused. Between 1950 and 1960, 37 million 20 francs Marianne Coq gold coins were re-engraved dating from 1907 to 1914.

"How to recognize them?  In theory, it is difficult to tell the difference berween Pinay refrappes and originals.  However, most of them are in excellent condition, having never been in circulation.  As the machines used for minting are not the same, more precise details can be seen on the Pinay refrapees.  Finally, a mass spectrometer analysis reveals a slightly different metallic composition between the origInal 20 francs coq and the refrappes.  On average the original coins contain 902.63 thousands of gold compared with 900.39 thousandths of gold for the refrapees.  This results in hue and a slightly more coppery color.  (Emphases in bold, throughout, are mine.)

Q.A. Great job!  Before you run off on your next project...any References?

🐓  : Yes. Thomas Numismatics (which lists the five sources they relied on on their website: thomasnumismatics.com

(Posted with the express cooperation and patience of NGC Moderation which  retains the right to edit or delete this post as it sees fit, at their discretion.)

Earlier post re-posted here for the benefit of my colleagues, @J P M and @VKurtB .

Effective today, Thursday, August 1, 2024, 1200 hours, I shall no longer participate in this column.

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 11:58 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Effective today, Thursday, August 1, 2024, 1200 hours, I shall no longer participate in this column.

Edit:  I have reason to believe I may expect delivery of my FINAL ACQUISITION -- the finest 1913 French 20-francs Gold Rooster, I have personally never laid eyes on, an MS-67 "Refrappe," (French for "Restrike,") on Tuesday, August 13, 2024, a link to that, and the unique pattern, which may be found in the "Post your most recent acquisitions: World. (PCGS Cert # 4218 8163, on cell-page 79. I divide the cert # for easier readability.) The gorgeous photo of the '13 Rooster Refrappe has apparently been delisted after my remittance for it was received. I, personally, do not believe a photo taken thru an encapsulated surface will ever do it justice.  If PCGS, In its France or U.S. posts, maintains a morgue of file photos, I will be happy to post them.

I shall conclude my participation on all threads of the NGC CHAT BOARD, on the date indicated above at 13:37:59 hours, latest.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Updating information.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:46 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Edit:  I have reason to believe I may expect delivery of my FINAL ACQUISITION -- the finest 1913 French 20-francs Gold Rooster, I have personally never laid eyes on, an MS-67 "Refrappe," (French for "Restrike,") on or about Tuesday, August 13, 2024, a link to that, and the unique pattern, which may be found on related threads.  Accordingly, I shall conclude my participation on all threads of the NGC CHAT BOARD, by 13:37:59 hours, latest.

You can't quit now. I want pictures of this Red Rooster when it comes in.

I wonder how many original Roosters are still in the hands of the French citizenry.

What's the total ORIGINAL mintage in number of coins (all denominations or just the 20 franc / 0.2 ounce coins) ?  If not melted domestically or exported out of the county and hoarded/melted, they could/should still be out there.

Must be some French numismatist experts who have written books or journal pieces talking about their origin and final destination, no ?

On 8/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, J P M said:

You can't quit now. I want pictures of this Red Rooster when it comes in.

Have no fear, the deadline is near.

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2024 at 11:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Have no fear, the deadline is near.

E D I T:  The ping on my phone at 0444 hours today, informed me the package containing the long-awaited 1913 French 20-francs gold rooster, PCGS MS-67 (FDC MS-65 to MS-70) has been shipped from Paris.

Three things that differentiate me from the average collector:  I paid for the coin in USD with enough money to pay conversion  costs to €uros; I am not concerned with tracking; they can use a dirigible or carrier pigeon for all I care; and it does not matter to me if I receive it or not!  I sent a nice sum of money thru the mail which evaded detection and was advised it had been received. I know of no one who would have done the same. (I worked in shipping once. I know exactly what I would need to get an object from point A to point B, without incident).  I was elated.

I will take cell pictures of the slab. If they fail to meet my standard for display to a wider studio audience, I know exactly where to take it within walking distance of my home, without being accosted by an army of zombies.  That will conclude my collection for now.  If another solid grade shows up minus an a +, a ++, ☆ or other enhancement, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  I generally don't track shipments.  Very often, I am notified when the article is placed in my mailbox, via e-mail.

Special Note to @The Neophyte Numismatist....  It gives me great pleasure to inform you your "glorious day" is rapidly drawing nigh.  I encourage every member, irrespective of series collected, to view your collection of Braided Half-Cents on the Set Registry. You did your due diligence, discovered a series that seemed to have been overlooked, and got in on the ground floor. Well done. Very well done!  🐓 

Routine die polishing; k'wreckshun of misselling.

On 8/9/2024 at 7:00 PM, Ashleigh S said:

I heard the 2002 R. Italian Botticelli 10 Cent coin has not been graded yet, either. Am I wrong?

Oh, @Ashleigh S !  How nice of you to drop in!  Malheureusement, I do not think you'll get an answer to your question about an Italian Botticelli 10-cent coin on a five year-old thread devoted to French 20-francs gold roosters.

However, as long as you're here, and mindful of my well-earned reputation for being an opportunist, I should like to ask you, with your response kept in the strictest confidence, about your experiences at Rosemont, buying, selling, etc. 

Thank you for honoring me with your presence on the Rooster thread.  You can put the Tommy gun down.  We are all friends here.

All thr best!

Posted (edited)

Today is Tuesday, August 13, 2024.

With the delivery of a 1913 French 20-francs gold rooster  PCGS-certified as MS-67 (FDC MS-65 to MS-70) my collection, as displayed on the West Coast Set Registry, is provisionally complete.*

It takes 72 hours to formally accept (vet) a new coin on the Registry.

The certification number issued -- 50390783-- is inordinately high indicating this coin may have been submitted to the Paris office recently.  The number certified at that grade can be counted on one hand. 

This acquisition effectively concludes my collection and regular participation on the Chat Board's forums. (I am still a member and shall drop in occasionally to talk about my health and the weather, as older members often do.)  🤣

Happy Hunting to all!   🐓

Deletion of EDIT; proofreading.

Posted (edited)

:news:    :news:.   :news:

Today is Friday, August 23, 2024.  As of 4:30 p.m. PT, my last acquisition, a 1913 MS-67 Restrike, was formally accepted and added to my French 20-francs gold rooster Set Registry on the West coast. My set is 100% complete with a rating of 66.000 out of a possible 67.313. My set, "The Francois Villon Collection," by Francois Villon is ranked #1 and is both the current and all-time finest ever acquired and assembled.

Following is a link to the page my set is featured on. (Note: It is recorded accurately but remains inoperative; perhaps someone more link-savvy can resuscitate it for me.)

htts://www.pcgs.com/set registry/france/french-modern-republics-decimal-coinage/french-20-franc-original-or- refrappe-gold-rooster-circulation-strikes-1899-1914/9176.

Can't sleep at nite?  Want to try spelunking?

•  Look up PCGS Set Registry;

•  Tap: "Explore" (top right.)

•  Find "Europe.";

•  Tap: "France".

•  Scroll six (6) categories down to: "French Modern Republics Decimal Coinage.";

▪︎  Tap:  "French 20 Francs Original or Refrappe [Restrike] Gold Rooster Circularion Strikes (1899-1914).

(A special thank you to the NGC Website Coordinator, the moderators, CCG and extraordinary members all of whom gave me the unprecedented opportunity to forgive me my trespasses early on which culminated in unprecedented incremental achievement and greatness in due time.

One final matter... if the inimitable @Just Bob would honor my accomplishment with his dancing emoji, I would be tickled pink!

Add recent developments.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:41 PM, rrantique said:

:banana::whee:

Thank you!  You are most kind.

Posted (edited)

As regular viewers of this column are aware, while I have completed this 5-year long undertaking, it is by no means the end of the story.

There are many things about this short series that are unknowable.  I have all 16 coins on the West coast Set Registry, half of which are Top Pops, which as our Grand Master here correctly pointed out, is subject to change in an eye blink.  I embrace that as one would immutable fact.  The powers that be have recognized it as being the "Best French Set."  There is a big difference between the "best" and the "best possible set."  The 1.313 gulf represents thousands of dollars.  It cannot be achieved with the addition of a single coin.

About two months ago, with no notice to Fr20FrGR Set Registrants, high-order explosives were placed under the series which consisted of 13 members and detonated. As I observed weeks later, I did not find out about it until Ricky 🐓  had been pecking about and noticed my Number One rating, four years in a row, had dropped to Four.  Ricky is congenitally incapable of lying, so I took it upon myself to investigate his "outrageous" claim and, much to my surprise found it to be TRUE!

On or about the First of September, when I usually conduct my review of respective certified populations, I will report my findings.  Imagine, if you will, spending a thousand dollars on something solely on the strength of its description only to find out, rather rudely, that what you thought you had, wasn't anything of the kind.

I will discuss the controversy I regard as an avoidable debacle. An assertion had been made by one particular member suggesting that the two parts of the series should never have been made a part of a single set and those who did so were unfairly "padding" their sets. If that were true all those shell-shocked owners would have jumped off the fence and celebrated their "victory" noisily in the streets.  I will present you, gentle, faithful reader, with the unvarnished facts and let you decide for yourselves.

incidentally, where does NGC, which boasts the most collectors of this series (83) stand on this controversy?  Thus far, their stance is unequivocal and is expressed in a single line, stating in substance:

All 20-francs gold roosters minted from 1907 to 1914 are regarded as Restrikes.

See yooou, in Sep-tem-ber... 🎶 

Routine die polishing.

Posted (edited)

The following  rantrantdoes not require its own topic. (Yes, @Zebo it's me again.)  i had planned on remaining calm and complacent, but a cantankerous matter has reared its ugly head again.

I had the temerity to ask PCGS if they ever caught the guy who stole my annual award plaques which appeared as striking yellow rectangular blocks with the year they were earned on them.

The response I got was I was stripped of my "medallions" because at least one coin had been determined to be a restrike (i have since asquired one more) and the coin no longer fit the only set available. PCGS stuck to their guns.

I am trying to conjure an analogy.  In every endeavor in human life, innovations are made.  Speeds are increased. Do we routinely go back and tell people who've won the Daytona Speedway or Indianapolis 500 to surrender their trophies because the records were achieved with vehicles no longer being used? I tell you it all just seems unfair.  I did not elect to change my set; they did that for me and are now saying well, the plaques were awarded under the old set of rules.  So what happened in the years before May 2024?  Simple, nothing!  So who were the Top Ranked Set Registrants?  There weren't any because they did not exist!

This could never happen here at NGC!  Imagine collectors of silver coins being told the introduction of any clads in a Set Registry was wrong and they had to be removed and set ratings would have to be reconfigured. [Ex. Say @Coinbuf, the copper coins have no business being with the clads! ]

I have one more beef I do not believe the moderators would want me to air, but I am going to do so anyway.  If I do not, and no one else does, we are all complicit in our own hypocrisy.

For some time, two collectors were vying for the top spot on the NGC Rooster Registry.  Each was missing a single coin. Why? Because the number certified at the highest grades (Mint State) can be counted on two hands.  Here comes the bizarre part... One collector manages to acquire the key coin after years of waiting. The other -- get a load of this! -- approached NGC and cajoled them into simply deleting the date.  Motive? If the key coin date no longer exists, neither does the coin. Clever, huh?  Check it out for yourself! It's only a 16-coin set.  Only problem is we are not talking about a unique coin, 1/0.  So if it seems like I have once again become cranky, @J P M that's the reason.  A collector with clout changed the rules. He's a whale; I'm a minnow.

As promised, I will be back with my monthly survey and running commentary.

Understand, gentle reader, I am top dog with a 66.000 set rating out of a total of 67.313, but what's fair is fair. There have been defections from the West coast which I became aware of when suddenly HA, whom I had never heard from, deluged my mailbox with offerings -- none at my level of collecting. What hurts the most are all the lovely comments members like you left on my set.  My history has effectively been erased. End of rantrant!

Die polishing.

On 8/28/2024 at 8:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The following  rantrantdoes not require its own topic. (Yes, @Zebo it's me again.)  i had planned on remaining calm and complacent, but a cantankerous matter has reared its ugly head again.

I had the temerity to ask PCGS if they ever caught the guy who stole my annual award plaques which appeared as striking rectangular blocks with the year they were earned on them.

The response I got was I was stripped of my "medallions" because at least one coin had been determined to be a restrike (i have since asquired one more) and the coin no longer fits he only set available. PCGS stuck to their guns.

I am trying to conjure an analogy.  In every endeavor in human life, innovations are made.  Speeds are increased. Do we routinely go back and tell people who've won the Daytona Speedway or Indianapolis 500 to surrender their trophies because the records were achieved with vehicles no longer being used? I tell you it all just seems unfair.  I did not elect to change my set; they did that for me and are now saying well, the plaques were awarded under the old set of rules.  So what happened in the years before May 2024?  Simple, nothing!  So who were the Top Ranked Set Registrants?  There weren't any because they did not exist!

This could never happen here at NGC!  Imagine collectors of silver coins being told the introduction of any clads in a Set Registry was wrong and they had to be removed and set ratings would have to be reconfigured. [Ex. Say @Coinbuf, the copper coins have no business being with the clads! ]

I have one more beef I do not believe the moderators would want me to air, but I am going to do so anyway.  If I do not, and no one else does, we are all complicit in our own hypocrisy.

For some time, two collectors were vying for the top spot on the NGC Rooster Registry.  Each was missing a single coin. Why? Because the number certified at the highest grades (Mint State) can be counted on two hands.  Here comes the bizarre part... One collector manages to acquire the key coin after years of waiting. The other -- get a load of this! -- approached NGC and cajoled them into simply deleting the date.  Motive? If the key coin date no longer exists, neither does the coin. Clever, huh?  Check it out for yourself! It's only a 16-coin set.  Only problem is we are not talking about a unique coin, 1/0.  So if it seems like I have once again become cranky, @J P M that's the reason.  A collector with clout changed the rules. He's a whale; I'm a minnow.

As promised, I will be back with my monthly survey and running commentary.

Understand, gentle reader, I am top dog with a 66.000 set rating out of a total of 67.313, but what's fair is fair. There have been defections from the West coast which I became aware of when suddenly HA, whom I had never heard from, deluged my mailbox with offerings -- none at my level of collecting. What hurts the most are all the lovely comments members like you left on my set.  My history has effectively been erased. End of rantrant!

Normally, NGC would like everyone to have the opportunity of completing  a set. If a coin is one of a kind or unavailable, such as when institutions own them and they are not publicly available, or the price tag on it is so high that the vast majority of collectors cannot afford it - they will list it as an non-competitive entry and assign zero points to it in the registry. The coin will still be listed in the collection, however.

I would contact NGC to discuss the matter.

@Zebo :

I shall do nothing of the kind.

That key date is the rarest in the series, but the fact remains over a half million (650,000) pieces were minted.  PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

It is not a one of a kind piece or impossible to acquire and no more pricier than the others.

The very same could be said for countless other coins. Half my collection (on the West coast) are Top Pops, and the rest are "unavailable."  In fact, I forget which service has them now but there are two (2) MS-68's.  They are certified but aren't in anone's collection. (It"s possible z's got 'em simply to get a leg up on me and torture me.)  :roflmao:

No one would dare suggest any that cannot be gotten are "unique" and therefore entitled to have that date de-listed on their set upon request. Our Grand Master some five (5) years ago opined, not enough of the highest grades have been submitted.  Only 2 or 3 have been been adjudged to be MS-65.

I have traipsed thru literally hundreds of sets and cannot recall seeing another case of such unmitigated chutzpah.

What I really should do is transfer my holdings to NGC. I have more points than the other top two ranked collectors.

By my calculation, via abacus, I've got  2, 0 2 0 more points than he does.

I am the undisputed champ!

I am the Greatest Of All Time!

Even the Sultan of Brunei is obliged to recognize me as the Number One contender!

And to borrow a line from Ash S., I am not going to let my set -- my identity on the Forum -- go for less than hundreds of thousands of dollars.  :makepoint:    doh!   :whistle: 

P.S.  Photos?  No photos!  You seen one, you seen 'em all.

rantrant OVER!

On 8/29/2024 at 4:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@Zebo :

I shall do nothing of the kind.

That key date is the rarest in the series, but the fact remains over a half million (650,000) pieces were minted.  PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

It is not a one of a kind piece or impossible to acquire and no more pricier than the others.

The very same could be said for countless other coins. Half my collection (on the West coast) are Top Pops, and the rest are "unavailable."  In fact, I forget which service has them now but there are two (2) MS-68's.  They are certified but aren't in anone's collection. (It"s possible z's got 'em simply to get a leg up on me and torture me.)  :roflmao:

No one would dare suggest any that cannot be gotten are "unique" and therefore entitled to have that date de-listed on their set upon request. Our Grand Master some five (5) years ago opined, not enough of the highest grades have been submitted.  Only 2 or 3 have been been adjudged to be MS-65.

I have traipsed thru literally hundreds of sets and cannot recall seeing another case of such unmitigated chutzpah.

What I really should do is transfer my holdings to NGC. I have more points than the other top two ranked collectors.

By my calculation, via abacus, I've got  2, 0 2 0 more points than he does.

I am the undisputed champ!

I am the Greatest Of All Time!

Even the Sultan of Brunei is obliged to recognize me as the Number One contender!

And to borrow a line from Ash S., I am not going to let my set -- my identity on the Forum -- go for less than hundreds of thousands of dollars.  :makepoint:    doh!   :whistle: 

P.S.  Photos?  No photos!  You seen one, you seen 'em all.

rantrant OVER!

ricky.jpg.0b3c18f4e97ecc0c9aa35d071abe6711.jpg:whee:

On 8/30/2024 at 11:12 AM, rrantique said:

ricky.jpg.0b3c18f4e97ecc0c9aa35d071abe6711.jpg:whee:

A fine-looking specimen and a dancing emoji to go along with it. I know each and every one of them on sight, like a mother knows her children.  And while all are noble, each is different in its own way. What more can a collector ask for?  Mucho gracias!  :roflmao:

Rooster Restrikes for Dummies

The controversy the folks on the West coast have elected to take on, expressed in its simplest form, is which of the restrikes bearing the dates 1907 to 1914, inclusive, were actually minted in those years, and which, according to records, were restruck at a later time, e.g., 1921 and the 1950's thru the 1960's.

There are two readily distinguishable characteristics. All Restrikes (Refrappes in French) bear the motto, LIBERTE, EQUALITE FRATERNITE, or Liberty Equality and Brotherhood which appear in higher relief circumferentially around the coins ornamental edge.

The other is the result of a mass spectrometer analysis which revealed a slight difference in metallic composition, to-wit: 902.63 thousandths of gold for the older restrikes versus 900.39 thousandths for the newer ones.  ( The 20-Francs gold rooster weighs 6.45 gms, 5.81 gms of which is comprised of 90% gold, the balance being copper used as a hardening element in the alloy.) With a tad bit more gold, one can, with difficulty, determine which of the two are the older restrikes with a slightly more coppery color from the newer restrikes.

As a practical matter, this has caused a massive shift in alliances and pecking orders on what was once a single set of Roosters.  Sets, such as mine were vandalized with no prior notice leading to desertions, realliances, cannibalizations and a reordering of the pecking order.

To date, not a single restrike was found to have been minted on the date displayed on the coin. A handful have been "magically" determined to have been minted in later years.

Contrary to the protestations of one vocal non-Set Registrant, the FACT that only one collector elected to transfer his restrikes to a restrikes-only set puts the lie to the prognostication that members such as me, exuding a confident, otherwise irreproachable virtue, were somehow conspiratorially "padding" our sets. Due to what I view as the unnecessary, superfluous antics displayed on the West coast, if I had it to do all over again, I would move my base of operations to NGC where I envision I would be welcomed with open arms, by friend and foe alike.  :)

INCREDIBLE ASSERTION BUT ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

To date, not a single gold rooster bearing the dates 1907 to 1914, PCGS-certified as an MS-67, has been found to have been minted on the date as displayed on the coin!  I make this assertion based on current world population reports.

As a practical matter, this suggests two things: ALL such high-value gold rooster coins were "restrikes" restruck at a later date, and NONE were minted on the dates they bore.

One question that has gone unasked is pertinent: which of the two is more valuable?

I don't have the answer and the majority of gold rooster collectors are not aware this controversy even exists.  You won't find any discussion of this anywhere.

Oddly, I believe I am the only gold rooster Set Registrant here at NGC that is aware of these developments on the West coast. 

So how was PCGS able to conduct this forensic examination of coins collectors own that are not in their physical custody?  Good question.  On the basis of photographs?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Imagine spending five (5) years amassing and finally completing the best certified set that's been compiled anywhere only to find out in the end you don't even know what you have.