• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

530 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2024 at 11:01 AM, Just Bob said:

Doesn't it feel good to finally be able to land one you've been looking for for a while?

Soooo good, and to see it placed with all the other tokens from the same town is a beautiful thing. 

This one turned out to be a lot more difficult to find than I had anticipated, I am very happy to have finally added this example to my collection. 

2024 has gotten off to a slow start for tokens, at least for me, I made a few random purchases of ones I liked or seemed interesting but this one is definitely my best token pick up of the year so far.

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 8:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

image.jpeg.b5b356ed04d93d2b5af341ee6e057a57.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c68f18336ff4a9c7ab28ab63cf9f0d8.jpeg

🐓 :  This a FIRST!"  A piece clearly marked RARE COINS & Detroit Dealer."

What's the value of this, and is it only good in trade, and if so, for how much?  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Substitute incorrect letter

On 7/9/2024 at 11:35 PM, Just Bob said:

In 1888, Charles W. Rich built a turpentine distillery near the town of Hattiesburg, in south Mississippi, and the community of Richburg was born. Two years later, he built a saw mill and general store. Mr Rich also built the boxing ring in which was held the last, and longest, heavyweight bare-knuckle prize fight in America, a fight between John L Sullivan and Jake Kilrain, held in July, 1889. The fight lasted 75 rounds in hot Mississippi summertime weather, ending with Sullivan as the winner. The illegal fight was advertised as taking place in New Orleans, but the participants and spectators boarded a train and traveled to Richburg to avoid the law enforcement officials.

In addition to the dollar token below, tokens were issued in 50, 25, 10, and 5 cent denominations. I also have examples of the 5 and 25 cent pieces.

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

Probably the first token posted on this thread that exhibits an astounding ambiguity in the denomination denoted. Great back-story! Nice find!  (thumbsu

On 7/16/2024 at 10:22 PM, Just Bob said:

History by Tony Howe of Mississippi Rails:

(Sorry about the weird formatting. I am still trying to figure this iPad out.)

R. C. Avent, originally from Brewton, Alabama, moved to Moss Point by 1897 and operated a sawmill near there. About 1906, he built a mill just south of Leaf on the MJ&KC Railroad. The town that grew up around the mill became known as Avent. R. C. Avent married into the Turner family of Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. and in 1924 built a new mill north of Vinegar Bend to cut some of the old Vinegar Bend holdings. That mill finally cut out in 1932. 

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

Is this a forerunner to the "rain check" or a discreet reminder from a funeral home?  🤣

Two points:

One:  The video illustrates the wave of the future of grading. No more driving or flying out to view the coin of interest.  It's not perfect, but it's a glimpse into how things will be done in the future.

Two:  And here is where I'm going to catch a lot of flak from members who detest purists, and another who admonished others to ignore me.

The way the excerpt reads on the Declaration of Independence is UNalienable, not INalienable.  UNALIENABLE!

Before @RWB corrects me by stating that is incorrect, I challenge ANYONE on this Forum to prove me wrong.  I am NOT talking about right and wrong or what is preferred.

I AM MERELY STATING A FACT ANYONE CAN VERIFY USING THEIR OWN EYES!

TO THE OP:  Nice High-Wire! 

On 9/3/2024 at 9:40 PM, Just Bob said:

I picked up this fifty cent token in Steve Hayden’s recent auction.

Steve always has great pieces for sale and in his auctions. I'm waiting for him to circle back to Michigan with the lumber tokens, it's been awhile since I've picked up anything from him. 

Congrats on the newp.