• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a Trick GTG ... An NGC Coin ... Guess the grade

20 posts in this topic

Why even mention that it’s not a trick GTG?

i grade the coin 62, due to the scratch through Liberty’s hair and the facial marks. However, an MS63 grade wouldn’t surprise me and a details-grade wouldn’t shock me.

15 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Why even mention that it’s not a trick GTG?

i grade the coin 62, due to the scratch through Liberty’s hair and the facial marks. However, an MS63 grade wouldn’t surprise me and a details-grade wouldn’t shock me.

I did a tricky one previously hence the statement ...

OK @jgrinz I'll play - I learn a lot on Morgans from you!

MS Details, Damaged due to scratch in hair and rim damage on obverse from 1 to 2 o'clock. On the reverse I can't tell if that's a die gouge or a scratch to the underside of the eagle's right wing.

Assuming I'm totally wrong on those (and Mark's post indicates I might be) I'm harsher on the cheek blemishes and the spot on the field in front of her chin for eye appeal - MS 61.

4 hours ago, Kirt said:

OK @jgrinz I'll play - I learn a lot on Morgans from you!

MS Details, Damaged due to scratch in hair and rim damage on obverse from 1 to 2 o'clock. On the reverse I can't tell if that's a die gouge or a scratch to the underside of the eagle's right wing.

Assuming I'm totally wrong on those (and Mark's post indicates I might be) I'm harsher on the cheek blemishes and the spot on the field in front of her chin for eye appeal - MS 61.

Regardless of NGC's determination, I think you're being too harsh, especially with respect the area under the eagle's right wing, the cheek flaws and the area in front of Liberty's chin. And when you're talking about grades in the 61-62 range, I don't think eye appeal plays much of a factor in most cases.

Edited by MarkFeld

I'm in the 62 range also. Couple scratches on the cheek besides other contacts. The rev looks much nicer and may help bring the whole coin to 63 on a good day. 

MS details due to the long staple scratch is what I grade it, if it got a straight grade then MS62 or MS63.  I always wonder why someone would send in a $40-$50 coin like this for grading; I'm not criticizing as I'm well aware there are reasons other than monetary just curious. 

32 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

My first thought was 62, then I saw the scratch, so 61.

Should have stayed there :-)

Wow, that scratch really kills it for me.......would be, at least a 64, otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned, the coin is damaged but my guess is that it has been net-graded to 62.  

Edited by Walkerfan

1 minute ago, Walkerfan said:

Wow, that scratch really kills it for me.......would be, at least, an easy 64, otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned the coin is damaged but my guess is that it has been net-graded to 62.  

Caught me in mid response - I think this should NOT have been graded - The scratch is substantial. MS62

I do not like the grade and think it should have been detailed because of that substantial scratch. The early posted coin of mine the 1887s

the scratch was minuscule as compared to this and got detailed. The only thing I like about this coin …. Its a VAM-36a

CLASHED "E" - How are your EYES  :-)

1883o_FullObv1.thumb.jpg.9582b52e13c0693ede4029f2efbd772a.jpg

1883oVAM36A_E2.thumb.jpg.13f3924064a3f3eeed9eeb5788560b70.jpg

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Regardless of NGC's determination, I think you're being too harsh, especially with respect the area under the eagle's right wing, the cheek flaws and the area in front of Liberty's chin. And when you're talking about grades in the 61-62 range, I don't think eye appeal plays much of a factor in most cases.

Ok. I'll take that feedback. Not the first time I've heard I can be harsh on grades at times; I'll take the learning on what is acceptable at 62. The only one where I'll stand my ground is that right wing. If that is in fact a scratch and not a die gouge, that's almost as bad as the scratch on Liberty's hair -- to me.

I agree with @jgrinz on the not a straight grade; that obverse scratch. As far as the VAM goes, my eyes failed the test. I knew there was one in there and spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure it out!

9 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Ok. I'll take that feedback. Not the first time I've heard I can be harsh on grades at times; I'll take the learning on what is acceptable at 62. The only one where I'll stand my ground is that right wing. If that is in fact a scratch and not a die gouge, that's almost as bad as the scratch on Liberty's hair -- to me.

I agree with @jgrinz on the not a straight grade; that obverse scratch. As far as the VAM goes, my eyes failed the test. I knew there was one in there and spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure it out!

It was incredibly tough to picture … Blow the picture up then back away from the monitor … it becomes clearer.

Edited by jgrinz

I definitely would have avoided this coin. That scratch is huge, and no way it should have straight-graded (in my opinion). I'd call it UNC Details, scratched. 

Without the scratch, I'd call it a 62 due to the severe marks on her cheek and neck. 

2 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I definitely would have avoided this coin. That scratch is huge, and no way it should have straight-graded (in my opinion). I'd call it UNC Details, scratched. 

Without the scratch, I'd call it a 62 due to the severe marks on her cheek and neck. 

It was a VERY cheap purchase and ended up with a VAM-36a consolation prize :-)

[Is there anything worse than trying to contribute to the "body of knowledge," only to be told you can't because your time's up, and doing so is committing the crime of "attempting to resuscitate and old thread," or otherwise a "distraction"?]   doh!