• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Detection: 1925 Stone Mountain Half Dollar

11 posts in this topic

A recent purchase of three 1925 Stone Mountain halfs has me scratching my head.  They are not in sealed cases (okay).  They appear old and the level of detail is not suberb (the offer came from a current Facebook advert).  I could not imagine anyone counterfeiting them, but then did a bit of research and found they have been.  What is unusual about each of these coins is there is a raised mark located virtually halfway between the 'Y' in liberty and the second 'L' in dollar - this on the obverse.  The degree to which each is worn is different but it appears to be the same mark on each coin.  So, I wonder do you have any current knowledge of a counterfeit coin being distributed (the ad states only 178 left).

The Fifty cent commemoratives are one of the most counterfeited coins out there with Oregon Trail and Stoney Mountain leading the way as the most counterfeited. I think nearly every year has been counterfeited by the Chinese. As Just Bob stated, you can buy them for less than $2.00 each.

On 7/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, Steffigraf said:

(the ad states only 178 left).

That tends to be a big red flag as well.  While some classic commemorative halves are common enough for a dealer to have a large quantity, and the Stone mountain might qualify for that, it is highly unusual.

13 minutes ago, Steffigraf said:

Suspected, but never imagined. An education earned 'the hard way'.  Facebook needs to be policed!  Many thanks.

The seller needs to be outed loudly and forcefully. If you don't want to do it, post their name or a link here. I will be happy to let everyone know who is selling counterfeits. 

By the way, them selling these coins to you is against the law, if they are located in the US. I am not sure how our Hobby Protection Act applies to sellers located outside the country.

42 minutes ago, Steffigraf said:

Facebook needs to be policed! 

100% agree!  Yet you and I know hat will not happen any time soon.  The best thing is for the Collector, new and long term, educate themselves and pay attention to Just Bob, Conder101, Greenstang, and what other long term members tell us.  Buy from a nationally known and recommended dealer where you will get your money back on a bad sale.  Do not buy 'raw' coins until you become good enough to spot the fakes.  Remember, the Counterfeiter, Chinese and other, is getting much better at his profession.

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I am not sure how our Hobby Protection Act applies to sellers located outside the country.

It doesn't.  US law applies in the US.  It MAY also apply to US citizens living aboard depending on what the law is.