• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Penny "re-stamped" with a gift box

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

Someone stamped the box on there after it left the mint, and probably sold it as a novelty item. They can also be found with flags, outlines of the different states, and other things. It isn't rare or valuable - just interesting.

Hi! As you have already been told, this coin is of no value. But you can bend e, and maybe your great-grandchildren will get rich on the sale. So, in your place, I didn't give it to anyone and took care of it. Or you are an atheist to give it to someone; you can use gift baskets or something similar and keep this coin with you. I think over time; it will gain value from collectors. But after that, a lot of time. Of course, it's up to you to decide.

Edited by Medrogean

Don't say it's worthless what you have their is a zinc penny that has no copper coating which in todays market has some value the only problem is that it has been counter stamped that hurts the value but I found one in change see. I found this one early in coin roll hunting but I keep it for good luck, and I have had good luck coin roll hunting. I have found 1943 steel cents indian head pennies and rare transitional cents. If you don't believe me check out the blog on this website labled 1945 cyclonite. Happy coin roll hunting.

IMG_0297.JPG

Ive got several with different types of counter stamps on them. I found some and had some gave to me. Even though they arent worth a premium I still enjoy saving them. I like collecting ones with free mason stamps on them the most. 

@pigeonman333rd

Not sure what you're looking at, but the counterstamped coin in the OP is a normal copper plated zinc cent

On 10/16/2022 at 8:39 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Don't say it's worthless what you have their is a zinc penny that has no copper coating which in todays market has some value ..........

I have found 1943 steel cents indian head pennies and rare transitional cents. If you don't believe me check out the blog on this website labled 1945 cyclonite. Happy coin roll hunting.

What type of rare transitional cent did you find?  RWB is the author of a book on experimental and pattern coins from WW II

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 10/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, Medrogean said:

Hi! As you have already been told, this coin is of no value. But you can bend e, and maybe your great-grandchildren will get rich on the sale. So, in your place, I didn't give it to anyone and took care of it. Or you are an atheist to give it to someone; you can use gift baskets or something similar and keep this coin with you. I think over time; it will gain value from collectors. But after that, a lot of time. Of course, it's up to you to decide.

annnnnddd.....that's my reminder why I don't check into these forums as often as I used to. 

The more I read it the more I'm convinced it's a chatbot testing.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, Crawtomatic said:

annnnnddd.....that's my reminder why I don't check into these forums as often as I used to. 

What's Chatbot testing?

On 10/17/2022 at 2:03 PM, Crawtomatic said:

What's up Crawdad? How have you been?

On 10/16/2022 at 6:48 PM, Oldhoopster said:

@pigeonman333rd

Not sure what you're looking at, but the counterstamped coin in the OP is a normal copper plated zinc cent

What type of rare transitional cent did you find?  RWB is the author of a book on experimental and pattern coins from WW II

I found a 1983 brass cent weighing 2.97 grams. You can see it if you go to the blog post titled 1945 cyclonite on this website and scroll down to the bottom of the page. P.S. they are not as rare as a 1983 bronze cent weighing 3.11 grams but I am still looking.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Just Bob said:

What's up Crawdad? How have you been?

Hey Bob!  I've been great.  Thanks for asking. Probably been more involved on the CGC forums over the past year (or lurking on blowoutcards) as I shifted collecting focus back to comics & cards.  How's everything with you? 

On 11/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, Crawtomatic said:

Hey Bob!  I've been great.  Thanks for asking. Probably been more involved on the CGC forums over the past year (or lurking on blowoutcards) as I shifted collecting focus back to comics & cards.  How's everything with you? 

I'm getting older and uglier, unfortunately. 

Be careful over there on the comic boards. Those guys are completely nuts!

:nyah: