• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Proof? Help Welcomed

70 posts in this topic

There may have been degrees bestowed by Universities in Europe, but I only know of two people with degrees in numismatics bestowed by Universities in the US, Jonathan Kern with a Bachelors degree and Donald Kagin with a Doctorate.  In both cases they "self directed" degrees where the University  allowed the student to design their own degree program.

Hi. I'm from Louisiana as well and sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I'd just send the coin in for grading to NGC and let the experts decide. The grading fee is minimal and you'd have a definitive answer. 

I’m positive my credentials outweighs yours & what does that say about your dense concept. Plus, I’ve traveled & had real world experience, not imagined. Speak 3 languages & finished top of my class as a CPA. Your job & box you live in makes you dense. To have to lash out tells me so.... I hope you overcome your insecurities. I find no intelligence in this conversation....

E5FF4A97-9562-41C3-9372-56C0DCACE90C.jpeg

6D53B52B-1C64-48C7-950A-58FB84FAA37A.jpeg

Maybe if we ignore him, he'll finally go away and I can get a better huckleberry friend............hm

6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Maybe if we ignore him, he'll finally go away and I can get a better huckleberry friend............hm

You need to stop posting to this 

8 hours ago, jgrinz said:

You need to stop posting to this 

That's my last one.  I promise.

Most of these experienced and educated "experts" can tell you within a blink of an eye that your coin has been polished. I agree with their opinion, but I will add a few points as to how I came up with this diagnosis.  #1, the area directly above the cap is recessed and protected and has what looks to me like remaining mint luster where the polishing wheel did not get to the original surface.  #2, the star circled also looks like it has remaining mint luster in the areas that were protected in the recesses from the polishing wheel.  #3, the areas between the letters "UNUM" also show this luster (surface) remaining.  #4, the multiple vertical scratches (hairlines) all over the surface also suggest a polishing, buffing, or burnishing.  #5, this coin seems to have very strong hair details which would suggest that the coin started out as a fairly nice Unc. or AU coin.  But the remaining luster in the deepest recesses of the hair show that the dies were not polished to a mirror finish (the deepest recess of the coin would be the highest points on the dies and would receive the heaviest polish).  As with all of the other opinions you have received on this subject, you are free to accept, reject, or adjust your findings to suit your needs.  Good luck, and keep looking for that one-in-a-million coin.  We all want one.  ;-)

polished_LI.jpg