1971 d penny DD error
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Doubling on AMERICA, on ONE CENT, and also down the right side of the memorial. This coin has been through circulation bad. Haha 

20190205_124030.jpg

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Looks like mechanical doubling conferring no premium.

Yep.

Very interesting looking and fun to find, but, unfortunately, not the type of doubling that is worth a premium.

Is there a such thing as a dd for 1992 d it's all around on the back of the coin. Coin is almost uncirculated . It looks like this one I showed you.

20190205_154136.jpg

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Neither Variety Vista, nor our host's Variety Plus lists a doubled die reverse for 1992D.

If you are referring to the coin in the picture,  that is strike (aka mechanical or machine) doubling.

Thank you, the coin had me wondering. 

Agreed with Bob and JKK....definitely machine doubling.  You can tell because of the shelf-like nature of the doubling.  True doubled dies have a very different look. 

Here's a link to the NGC Variety Plus page on a very famous Lincoln Memorial Cent doubled die, the 1972 DDO:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/12950/

If you want to learn how to spot the differences between a doubled die and machine doubling, I'd look at the pics of the 1972 DDO (and any other doubled die coins you'd care to look at on Variety Plus) and compare them to the two coins you posted here.  You'll begin to see the differences and be on your way to being able to spot true doubled dies accurately.

Cheers!

~Tom

On 11/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, Italy8686 said:

Need more help on penny dies

Okay. Your first help is please never do what you just did, which is post a whole bunch of contextless coin pics in someone else's old thread. No one has any idea how to help you; without both sides of the coin, no one can offer a grade; you don't even ask much of a question. I suggest that you read the FAQ at the top of the page and consider following at least some of the recommendations. It could end up working out because the photos themselves are actually well cropped and usable so far as they go.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:15 AM, powermad5000 said:

Thanks JKK. Italy8686, there was not even a question or comment with a string of Lincoln cent photos of various years. If you are relating those to doubling, there is none. What I see in those photos is a bunch of Lincolns slightly off center but not off center enough to get graded as a mint error. If you submitted those to NGC they would return with the explanation Too Minor Not Recognized.

That 1974D looks very odd to me. The 4 is very high. 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:58 AM, JKK said:

Okay. Your first help is please never do what you just did, which is post a whole bunch of contextless coin pics in someone else's old thread. No one has any idea how to help you; without both sides of the coin, no one can offer a grade; you don't even ask much of a question. I suggest that you read the FAQ at the top of the page and consider following at least some of the recommendations. It could end up working out because the photos themselves are actually well cropped and usable so far as they go.

Yep......Jonathan is dead on Italy8686.  Posting a ton of pictures with no context or questions guarantees that we won't be able to help you and that you just wasted your time.  We need questions and context to even know what you want to ask if you want us to help you.  I'd follow his advice to the letter.....read the FAQs and follow the recommendations.  Then, we will likely be able to help you.

Edited by Mohawk