• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sample slabs

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone 

My name is Alan use to be acan451. Into sample slab collecting back after many years away.

At one time I wrote a blog/articles on sample slabs. Hoping to hear from some old friends.

All the Best 

Alan

Though you and I never interacted when you were here before, it's always good when someone returns.  It makes the community stronger.  Welcome back!

13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Though you and I never interacted when you were here before, it's always good when someone returns.  It makes the community stronger.  Welcome back!

Ditto.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, acan4511 said:

Hello everyone 

My name is Alan use to be acan451. Into sample slab collecting back after many years away.

At one time I wrote a blog/articles on sample slabs. Hoping to hear from some old friends.

All the Best 

Alan

The4511 thing is probably from the format change in 2017. If you ask NGC about it they can probably merge your old and new accounts and give you back the 451 name.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:31 AM, Lancek said:

I just discovered sample slabs last week.  In researching, I stumble on a very helpful blog.  That was probably yours so thanks!

Thank you yes it probably was some of my old articles . Glad you enjoyed them. Samples are becoming very collectable good luck.

All the Best 

Alan

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:41 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

HI There!! I collect some sample slabs, error ones for certain years!! Good to meet you over the computer.....peace 

Hello Nice too meet you as well, sample slabs can be very interesting and error ones even more so 

Nice too meet you as well, hope we can talk samples sometime 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, Revenant said:

The4511 thing is probably from the format change in 2017. If you ask NGC about it they can probably merge your old and new accounts and give you back the 451 name.

Yes I have done that thanks 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Welcome back! When do we get to see some pictures of your collection? :popcorn:

I will be posting soon in a new thread thanks.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Wasn't here in the old days but welcome back and pleased to meet you.

How kind thank you very much, pleasure is all mine 

Some pics of your sample slab collection would be cool!! I'd love to see them, especially if you have any Canadian coins in sample slabs ;)

Here are some to start 

This is one of my favorite set's, They are a very limited set and with only 200 produced in total, they are an interesting set to collect. I think the fact they have world coins inside makes them a very different type of sample.  I am very lucky to say I own this set.

Here are the number of each coin  

(20) 1949 Israel Pruta, (20) 1966-Mo Mexico 20 Centavos, (20) 1962 Great Britain Penny, (20)1958-D US Wheat Cent, (20) 1960 Great Britain 1/2 Penny, (20) 1959-H East Africa one Cent, (40)1963-Mo Mexico 20 Centavos and (40) 1944-Mo Mexico 5 Centavos.

1-1[1].jpg

2-1[2].jpg

3-1[1].jpg

4-1[2].jpg

5[2].jpg

6-1[1].jpg

7-1-1[1].jpg

8-1[1].jpg

Very cool Alan, very cool indeed!  My fiancee collects British coins, she'd definitely dig your penny and half penny!  I like that you have coins from all over the world in your sample slab collection......I've seen many sample slab collectors that just have US coins in their collections.  In my humble opinion, that's pretty boring.  But your set has great international flair and is quite compelling.  My favorites are the penny, the half penny and the two Mexican 20 Centavos.  I've always thought that those are some of the loveliest copper coinage issues from any nation.  I like all of the coins though......thanks for sharing those with us!

Cheers!

~Tom

On 2/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, acan4511 said:

Hello Nice too meet you as well, sample slabs can be very interesting and error ones even more so 

Nice too meet you as well, hope we can talk samples sometime 

I have a PCGS sample slab 2015 Philly penny in a Denver noted insert...I know of one other they wanted over $100 for (little high in my opinion), and a third is rumored.. a dealer in Florida turned one in also...

On 2/11/2019 at 3:54 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I have a PCGS sample slab 2015 Philly penny in a Denver noted insert...I know of one other they wanted over $100 for (little high in my opinion), and a third is rumored.. a dealer in Florida turned one in also...

I have heard of some error samples before some people do collect them. As far as the price well like they say "It's only worth what someone is willing too pay for it" But I can see it selling for that much.

Thanks 

Alan

On 2/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mohawk said:

Very cool Alan, very cool indeed!  My fiancee collects British coins, she'd definitely dig your penny and half penny!  I like that you have coins from all over the world in your sample slab collection......I've seen many sample slab collectors that just have US coins in their collections.  In my humble opinion, that's pretty boring.  But your set has great international flair and is quite compelling.  My favorites are the penny, the half penny and the two Mexican 20 Centavos.  I've always thought that those are some of the loveliest copper coinage issues from any nation.  I like all of the coins though......thanks for sharing those with us!

Cheers!

~Tom

So glad you enjoyed seeing them. I also enjoy the British coins as I was born in England and remember them.

The older World samples are hard to find, and do fetch a high premium if you can find any. 

I wrote an article about this set and how it came too be, here is the link hope you enjoy it http://samplecoinslabs.com/index.html/page/4/

Best 

Alan

On 1/31/2019 at 1:09 AM, Conder101 said:

Hi Alan, I wondered whatever happened to you.

Hello my old friend so good too hear from you 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:49 PM, Mohawk said:

Thank you so much 

Alan

Here is another world sample from this one is a hard too find sample as well. It does not come up for sale very often.

This is also a beautiful coin to put into a sample slab. Hope you enjoy.

Alan

102_0892.thumb.JPG.03e54c9bf7351e7f91d296917d77f8b3.JPG102_0947.thumb.JPG.b9bb372a655fee1fbbcdc8763471150a.JPG

7 hours ago, acan451 said:

I have heard of some error samples before some people do collect them. As far as the price well like they say "It's only worth what someone is willing too pay for it" But I can see it selling for that much.

Thanks 

Alan

You would think an older sample slab with a silver coin would be valued more....but hey, I'm crazy for getting like 139 or 144 of the 174 Nebraska Homestead quarter Double Die examples, each are actually different and it's crazy cuz some are Non-Collectable in my opinion because the person that found one only has that example and they sent it in to get notoriety for it (which I would do also). Some have never surfaced again???

Hello

The older samples like coins are as rare as the production run, and some were produced in large amounts.

Now there are some older sample's like the very well used liberty nickels in a PCGS- 005-3-1 slab. They can command a very high premium. As it was produced in very small number's.  

That is another reason why "luncheon samples" are so sought after and command a high premium. They only produce a small amount, and TPG's can choose a really nice coin to go inside the sample.  

I think your  Nebraska Homestead quarter Double Die's are very cool, good for you, going to all the work to collect something you find interesting.

Alan