• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My apologies it's a 1971 D magnetic half Dollar, I l

16 posts in this topic

I'm not understanding how any of them are magnetic. Precious metals, coper, nickel, silver, etc... are not magnetic. A magnetic coin is not a mint error either. It sounds like a coin that has possibly been plated with a magnetic metal composition. 

Same response as in the other thread

As I always ask, "How magnetic is it?"  Does the coin just show some attraction?  Can it be drug around but maybe not picked up?  Is the magnetic effect localized to just one area of the coin?  Or does the coin JUMP to the magnet if it gets close?

On 2/1/2018 at 9:34 AM, WoodenJefferson said:

...sounds like a 'magicians coin' look for a seam around the inner rim where one hollowed out coin fits into a smaller diameter milled coin.

I remember those!!  What was it --- 1968 to 1972 (somewhere around then) magician coin set?

Not all of these are seamed anymore. I have this 2 headed statehood qtr that has actually been compressed on the top. Pretty neat looking. You have to really look close to see which side was added. 

2 headed qtr D side.JPG

2 headed qtr P side.JPG

On that one thehollowed one out and shaved another one down to fit inside it.  The seam is visible inside the rim on the second picture.  They pretty much stopped having the seam on the edge decades ago.

16 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

On that one thehollowed one out and shaved another one down to fit inside it.  The seam is visible inside the rim on the second picture.  They pretty much stopped having the seam on the edge decades ago.

Yes sir. It's hard to see in the pic but the P side was set inside the D side.