• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question Regarding NGC Scoring

6 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by saying I did ask NGC, but their answer left me still confused.  And quite honestly, this may be more of a vent than an actual question, because I am not sure anyone can really answer it.

I simply do not understand how NGC assigns point values to the coins they grade.  For example:

All 3 of these coins are from the same set, the 2017 $2 Niue Proof set.

Coin A has a mintage of 10,000.  Of those 10,000, 75 of them received a grade of PF70.  NGC assigned it a point value of 500 points.

Coin B has a mintage of 10,000.  Of those 10,000, 7 of them received a grade of PF70.  NGC assigned it a point value of 392 points.

Coin C has a mintage of 1,000.  Yes, 1,000.  Of those 1,000, 4 of them received a grade of PF70.  NGC assigned it a point value of 448 points.

I just don't understand.  They are all from the same set.  They are all $2 proofs.  Yet the coin with a known population of 10x the other coins outscores it.  

I've felt the exact same way with set's in my collection.  Once you get an answer from NGC, like it or not, best to just move on. It is possible a change will happen at some point in the future.

Since you separated A, B, and C, we can assume they are different coin types, or different finishes, or different something.  The difference between a 69 and a 70 is minute. Assuming that the differences are real, and each coin is a different something, then, if NCG is accurate, or nearly so, we can conclude that there are differences in the care that was exercised in handling each: A, B, and C.  Or, that there is a different degree of difficulty keeping each pristine, or that the design or finish of each more readily shows flaws. Or, as some believe, myself included, these trivial differences are meaningless, highly subjective, and the offspring of marketing minds.