• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL and DPL expanded to all

10 posts in this topic

NUMISMATIC GUARANTY CORPORATION OF AMERICA

P.O. Box 4776

Sarasota, FL 34230

NGC Adds Important New Designations

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

NGC

(941) 360-3990 or (800) 642-2646

[Florida] Numismatic Guaranty Corporation is now applying the designations PL for Prooflike and DPL for Deep Prooflike to all United States and world coins that merit them. This service goes into effect immediately. Soon to be adopted is the designation FT for Full Torch, which will be applied to Roosevelt Dimes. NGC will begin certifying FT dimes April 14, 2003.

NGC has been using the designations PL and DPL for some years with selected United States coin types, notably Morgan Dollars and many silver commemoratives, More recently, it has been applied to qualifying statehood quarters and Sacagawea Dollars. NGC’s customers have called attention to the fact that other coin types sometimes feature Prooflike or even Deep Prooflike fields, and these qualities will now be acknowledged for all USA and world coins.

These designations will be included when applicable during the normal course of grading, and no special fee or service is required when submitting uncertified coins to NGC. For those having coins already certified by NGC and that may qualify for the PL or DPL designations, these may be submitted for review of their status under NGC’s Designation Review service at a fee of $10. This includes the cost of reholdering the coin. Coins holdered by other companies may be submitted to NGC under its Crossover Service, and their PL or DPL status will be evaluated in the course of grading the coins.

NGC may be contacted by writing to P.O. Box 4776, Sarasota, FL 34230 or by calling toll-free at 800-NGC-COIN (642-2646). NGC’s email address is Service@NGCcoin.com.

John,

Has NGC set a standard yet for what constitutes a FT Roosie?

I have a nice one I was about to send in for crossover because I think it has a shot at a star, but will now hold off for a wee bit longer.

This is great to hear (the PL & DPL designation). I know I was one of the people asking for this designation to be extended. I've got several coins that I've been holding off on submitting until this designation was recognized.

Once again, NGC responds to the wants of the collector!

EVP,

The coin will have to be PL or DPL on both obverse and reverse to get the designation. The coin you described could be eligible for a star depending on other qualities of the coin.

RWW,

No plans for that yet, but I'll discuss it with Rick.

John