• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally joined the club!

18 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I have never paid for the full membership in the collector's society, but I finally did today! It was a month or two ago, that I was somewhat skeptical in my view of the club since the "$510 in free grading" was really not applicable if you only collect coins and not comics and cards. Well after a series of PMs and e-mails, NGC changed the club so that now you can just get what you want, for coins it's 5 free earlybird submissions, plus either 3 free evaluations with a submission of 5 coins to NCS, or 3 free authentication/details certifications with a 5 coin submission to NCS. With that change, which happened a week or so ago, I finally handed over my $99, and I can't wait to submit! grin.gif

It's good to see the company listening to such concerns and suggestions by customers, and then making changes in response! They gained at least one customer today. My only question is why this change wasn't publicized? confused.gif

Thanks for the info! I was in the same mental state as you, but with the new rules I'm joining today even though I can submit as an ANA member.

NGC should make some type of announcement on this; I'm sure it will encourage others as well.

1) It's great that you joined. Now submit and you'll be shocked that they grade with coins accurately the FIRST time. laugh.gif

2) I like the change. I had no use for the comic and card submissions. I finally ended up trading my comic submissions for the coin submissions with someone else who was going to join. The card submissions expired without being used. frown.gif

3) I like the fact that we now get more EarlyBird submissions. While the 3 Express submissions were nice, the average member signing up probably isn't going to need the coins graded that fast or the higher declared value limit that this tier provides.

Overall, a great move. I also like the fact that you get some NCS stuff. They do great work. I've got 8 coins in there right now - including a few "test coins" to see what they can do with them. laugh.gif

2) I like the change. I had no use for the comic and card submissions. I finally ended up trading my comic submissions for the coin submissions without someone else who was going to join. The card submissions expired without being used.

But, but, but, does this mean a grading service listened to their customers???

Those card and comic submissions (or coin and card depending on where you post) were the biggest beef of the membership kit.

I also like the fact that you get some NCS stuff. They do great work.

They do indeed. I've put 26 coins through their service and have been very pleased with 24 of them. Two came back with fingerprints, though. They were fresh, so I had no problem taking care of them.

The thing that amazes me most about NCS is their ability to substantially reduce some types of milk spotting, (not all), and glue spotting on proofs without any damage to the surface. Wish I could figure out how they do that.

Russ, NCNE

The change sounds good! I have the comic and card coupons that I don't know what to do with!! The new deal sure beats the PCGS club, beats the old NGC club also grin.gif .

Two of the coins I gave them are just those problems. A 1964 proof Accented Hair Kennedy that had light milk spotting. It wouldn't dip off for me, so I figured I'd give them a try. The coin is only maybe PR65 condition, but I want to see what they can do before I submit more.

Then there was a 1964 proof 25¢ that was graded PR66CAM by ANACS. The coin was nice, but had glue spots around the rim and some haze. I'm expecting if they can remove the glue that it will grade PR68 UCAM.

Neither coin is worth much money, but it will be interesting to see the results.

Jeff I think after using PCGS you will really like NGC as I have found I only have to submit coins once to get the right grade! My grades are the same as the grade NGC gives my coins over 95% of the time! mike smile.gif

Greg,

Most of what I've sent them have also been Accented Hairs (of course). They seem to be far more prone to problems than the second obverse die. Here's one that I sent off and is now back:

64ah8_sm.jpg

See the glue spotting at the top of the reverse around the letters "TES" in States? It's now completely gone.

Russ, NCNE

Russ,

You remember the AH I sent NCS. The milk spots on the reverse looked like a pox. They didn't completely remove them, but they did improve them to the point it took magnification to see the two that remained. I also sent a few Lincoln proofs, which they chose not to conserve. They ucam'd without the haze removed. As for the grading, I've disagreed with two coins submitted, one low and one high(one point), but both grades were fair. IMO, the AT holder is superior, the attribution is nice, the speed is fabulous, and the CS is superb. They are currently IMO doing a much better job with moderns than they did in the past.

BTW - Is it unreasonable to fill the slab with an inert gas, as they do storm windows? Oxygen sure is reactive. wink.gif

Welcome to the club! I didn't realized NGC had changed the rules regarding the free submission coupons you received when joining.

This will disappoint my son when I re-up as he was looking forward to submitting more cards. We sent some cards in the first time around and were very happy with the results.

Hi All,

this is great news, as many have stated. I am a PCGS member and also submit to NGC through the ANA. I do not need to belong to two clubs, yet am somewhat distressed with PCGS, regarding DRH and his kingsize EGO, long submission times ,poor customer service, etc.

***O.K. enough ranting***

Bottom line, the changes that I have read about in this thread will swing to vote for me...I am joining NGC. smile.gif