• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish this place could get back on track.

77 posts in this topic

I don't know why, but it seems that a couple of posts got pulled on this thread. They had to do with what would make CS U.S. Coins better, and specifically being able to upload pics of coins you have, directly from your computer, that this would be a great capability.

Right now, it can be done but it is incredibly cumbersome.

If memory serves correct, the way it goes is you need to have an NGC Collectors Society account (separate from these Message Boards, where your log in name is your email address, and you have a different password from the Message Boards password)

Then you begin a Journal. In each Journal entry, you are allowed to upload one (1) image, and it can come directly from your home computer. (I forget how to do it, because I've only done it once, and over a year ago.)

But let's say you have a collection of 50 coins. Then if you made 100 Journal entries, and each entry had a separate image attached, so that both faces of each coin would be uploaded over 100 Journal entries, then those pics would each have addresses.

You could then just copy the addresses from the obscurely located Numismatic General/NGC Journals Message Board threads into the U.S. Coins posts here, however you wanted.

And there you go!

After your first sentence comment I noticed that my original post to this thread had been pulled. I do NOT understand why that occurred, as I wasn't saying bad things about these Boards, I was simply stating that it would be nice to have drag and drop capability for images going from the poster's computer to these boards. I LIKE the CS Boards, and I thought, given the question posed in the opening post to this thread, that we were SUPPOSED to mention obvious things that would help these Boards to get more traffic. C'est la vie...

And I noticed my response to yours has also been deleted Sy. My comment wasn't out of line at all. I never thought I'd see the day when someone made a suggestion to better the forum and NGC pull it down. Maybe it is time to move on to bigger and better places!!!

I like browsing Omnicoin and that other coin gallery site more than the registries.Stupid point system the TPGs use doesn't even make sense. Be better off with a LIKE system like facebook. If you get the most likes you get a balloon.

I would post images if it were not so difficult. Can that someone repost the tutorial on posting images again ?

Difficult...you press File manager, Browse, Add File. 3 button presses.

I was reading an old thread ATS and half the people were banned in a 3 page thread. Surprising that didn't lead to more activity here.

But that said I have various other hobbies and forums in general are slowly dying. The young kids have moved to less organized community boards formats like Reddit and such. It's de-evolution really. There's no structure to the postings. You cant really follow discussions. Its these low attention span millenials who just want to read a quick blurb and then do...whatever else it is they do. Its like old compuserv chat rooms or usenet groups. Makes no sense to me. Like Twitter.

I would post images if it were not so difficult. Can that someone repost the tutorial on posting images again ?

Difficult...you press File manager, Browse, Add File. 3 button presses.

File manager??? The only way I have found to upload pics here is thru an outside source such as photobucket.

I'm sure we can agree that there have been some really negative things going on here. We all know what they are but there is little we can do to change them.

It's good that we can talk about the problems and bring them out in the open.

We need to get back to the positive side of things to help build this place back to the great active site it once was. We have many great folks here that can make it happen.

Roger, Bill and Lee bring up some of the best history you can find on any forum.

Jason, John, and so many others take the time to teach and share knowledge.

We all need to get back to posting new threads. Lets post about those new coins and anything we find interesting in the hobby.

Lets invite our friends in the hobby to come here and check it out.

I have several more thoughts but I'm late for work. Lets work together.

What would it take to bring folks back here and start posting again?

I wish I had an answer. This thread has 707 views in two days so there is plenty of activity - just not much participation. I guess I'm the poster child for the non-participating member. I've been visiting the site almost daily since 2008, but I've very seldom posted since joining in 2009.

This forum has been a short break from the daily grind of life.

Well, it's back to the regular life. It was minus 2 when I went out to feed the horses and dogs earlier this morning.

Well, it's back to the regular life. It was minus 2 when I went out to feed the horses and dogs earlier this morning.

Holy cow !

It sure seems a little soon for those kind of temps.....I've never been to Idaho however......

Paul

Posting pictures here is fairly easy, although it's not as simple as it now is ATS. The hard part for me is dealing with the image hosting site, Photobucket. Photobucket has the nasty habit of rolling out software before it has been properly tested and going by the complaints of their users to fix it. They are also known for making "enhancements" that screw up what was working quite well before. Then you top that off with endless pop-ups.

Currently I have having a hard time getting Photobucket to take new photos. I have only used 20% of my space there, so that is not the issue. It's their software ... again.

As for posting pictures the key here is the little box that is third from the left on the tool bar. Click on that and you will get a drop-down box were you can enter the address for the picture you want to post. You get that address by copying it from the picture hosting site.

1795DrBustDolO.jpg1795DrBustDolR.jpg

I was reading an old thread ATS and half the people were banned in a 3 page thread. Surprising that didn't lead to more activity here.

But that said I have various other hobbies and forums in general are slowly dying. The young kids have moved to less organized community boards formats like Reddit and such. It's de-evolution really. There's no structure to the postings. You cant really follow discussions. Its these low attention span millenials who just want to read a quick blurb and then do...whatever else it is they do. Its like old compuserv chat rooms or usenet groups. Makes no sense to me. Like Twitter.

+1

:ThumbsUp:

SO TRUE!

I wish I had an answer. This thread has 707 views in two days so there is plenty of activity - just not much participation. I guess I'm the poster child for the non-participating member. I've been visiting the site almost daily since 2008, but I've very seldom posted since joining in 2009.

What keeps bringing you back, tejas1836? Do you read many of the posts? What keeps you from participating?

It might be helpful to hear your perspective

This is, arguably, the best venue on the net for talking coins. It's well run, modern, has good posters, and lots of traffic. I've never really understood why it doesn't want to take off. Perhaps part of the problem is that so many people here are of one mind on many topics so there isn't much controversy in threads.

There's a lot of depth to the knowledge here and it's lightly moderated. What's not to like?

edited to add... And I really like being able to fix typos without it showing the post as being edited.

This is, arguably, the best venue on the net for talking coins. It's well run, modern, has good posters, and lots of traffic. I've never really understood why it doesn't want to take off. Perhaps part of the problem is that so many people here are of one mind on many topics so there isn't much controversy in threads.

There's a lot of depth to the knowledge here and it's lightly moderated. What's not to like?

edited to add... And I really like being able to fix typos without it showing the post as being edited.

I agree except for the part in red. There is one controversial topic that is discussed frequently here. :)

I agree except for the part in red. There is one controversial topic that is discussed frequently here. :)

What? Toning?

I "never" open those threads.

I would partipate more but I don't understand why you keep posting this kind of thread in the US Coin forum.

Because what is, and who posts in, the "general" forum?

This board isn't active enough for all the branching subforums that have been imposed. The US forum is by far the most active (and that's not saying much). The boards would benefit from collapsing quite a few of the subforums, and removing the journal things. I don't understand why they're here.

I would partipate more but I don't understand why you keep posting this kind of thread in the US Coin forum.

Because what is, and who posts in, the "general" forum?

This board isn't active enough for all the branching subforums that have been imposed. The US forum is by far the most active (and that's not saying much). The boards would benefit from collapsing quite a few of the subforums, and getting rid of the stupid journal things altogether.

Thank you Jason. It's comments like the one you quoted that makes people feel uncomfortable about even posting at all. People don't like being nit picked over minor details. At least I don't!!!

Go to the bottom of thread where the typing box is. Switch to FULL REPLY

Below the new type box look for File Manager link in crimson letters

Browse to the file you want to add

Click add file

Click done adding files

Post the letters you want people to read with your pic in the type box

Post.

166649.png.b16efeb7af9fd3d4ad4a4d23796314a8.png

What keeps bringing you back, tejas1836? Do you read many of the posts? What keeps you from participating?

The forum members who freely share their knowledge and experiences on all things coin collecting. Although the forum activity is slow, the sleepy hollow (most of the time) atmosphere suits me just fine.

The forum members who freely share their knowledge and experiences on all things coin collecting. Although the forum activity is slow, the sleepy hollow (most of the time) atmosphere suits me just fine.

Yes, most of the time. Thanks, for the reply.

My two cents:

I have stopped posting as much because, frankly, it seems like every time I log in there are multiple heated arguments in every thread. It's not just here - get brave and read the "Comments" on pretty much any article anywhere. It's exhausting, it's sickening, and I really just would rather focus on the joys of collecting or the thrills of new finds than listen to two (or more) people dig in and spew hate at each other through a computer screen. Doesn't help that many people can't spell worth a darn or write in complete sentences.

I started a contest in another forum, and almost immediately I had someone whining and complaining - mostly because he felt I was treating him unfairly (I wasn't.) All I wanted was to share a new item I'd uncovered, and I made a contest where I gave away a graded variety. But this person ruined the joy of the contest for me - by the time someone had finally guessed it, I'd stopped following my own contest and didn't even care about it any longer. I put that guy on ignore within a couple pages and he STILL kept posting so much that half the replies to the contest were off-topic and related to his whining. If he shows up here, I'll ignore him here, too.

In regards to this particular forum, I would post more if it were easier to upload photos. Having to upload a photo to Photobucket, then come back here and link it with the backwards interface is frustrating. I feel like it's 2005.

I've also stopped posting so many notices about coin auctions/listings, because it never fails that every listing gets twenty lowballers who want to tell me a 1909 S Lincoln Cent in low grade is only worth $5, or to offer me half of melt value for better 90% US silver.

So I mostly end up just silently reading posts...that is, until people start arguing again.

My two cents:

I have stopped posting as much because, frankly, it seems like every time I log in there are multiple heated arguments in every thread. It's not just here - get brave and read the "Comments" on pretty much any article anywhere. It's exhausting, it's sickening, and I really just would rather focus on the joys of collecting or the thrills of new finds than listen to two (or more) people dig in and spew hate at each other through a computer screen. Doesn't help that many people can't spell worth a darn or write in complete sentences.

I started a contest in another forum, and almost immediately I had someone whining and complaining - mostly because he felt I was treating him unfairly (I wasn't.) All I wanted was to share a new item I'd uncovered, and I made a contest where I gave away a graded variety. But this person ruined the joy of the contest for me - by the time someone had finally guessed it, I'd stopped following my own contest and didn't even care about it any longer. I put that guy on ignore within a couple pages and he STILL kept posting so much that half the replies to the contest were off-topic and related to his whining. If he shows up here, I'll ignore him here, too.

In regards to this particular forum, I would post more if it were easier to upload photos. Having to upload a photo to Photobucket, then come back here and link it with the backwards interface is frustrating. I feel like it's 2005.

I've also stopped posting so many notices about coin auctions/listings, because it never fails that every listing gets twenty lowballers who want to tell me a 1909 S Lincoln Cent in low grade is only worth $5, or to offer me half of melt value for better 90% US silver.

So I mostly end up just silently reading posts...that is, until people start arguing again.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I visit here on a fairly regular basis and rarely see heated arguments.

Seems like I have the best of luck then. I've always appreciated your posts and willingness to offer help others...one of the reasons I come back here.

Thank you - much appreciated.