• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell your "money" coin?

18 posts in this topic

Thinking of Tom and Mitch's talking about the 3 toned coins, it got me thinking...

If you have a coin you absolutely love (whatever it is) and you're showing it to someone (at home, at a shop, at a show, whatever) and they offered you a really large amount of money to purchase it, would you sell it?

Even though it is not the same type of thing, my 1923 red peace dollar only cost me $89 and before I had it certified someone was willing to pay over twice that. Now that it is certified, it probably would go for more. But I wonder what that point would be between "I'll keep it cause I just love it" and "I can't believe I'm saying this, but SOLD!"

What do you all think?

It really depends on the circumstances, and how long I've held the coin. I suppose, if someone were to offer me a lot I would take it, but to me the more important question is what would I do with the money? Is there another coin I would be able to buy that I might like more than the one I just sold? If there was, I would definitely sell it.

I could sell any coin I had. There isn't many coins that couldn't be replaced by another. But my Mississippi National Bank Note collection, is another matter. I have several one of a kind notes that I just couldn't part with at any price. grin.gif

I think it depends on what would be avalible with the funds from the money made. If one "wow" coin could buy two, and keep the type set build going, it would be sold.

In my case I had owned the coins for a few years and had been the person to originally send them in for certification. So, I had plenty of time to show them off and enjoy them. Also, the market is good for this type of material presently and I figured that I could find coins that are 80-90% as nice as these for significantly less. Lastly, while these three were true monsters, I have more monsters in reserve.

Tom,

Had the Washington been featured on your site?

As for the money coin question, at first blush I'd say no, but I guess it would really depend on the number on the paper.

At present the answer would generally be no. However, I agree in principle with most of the other respondents that at some point the price would exceed my resistance. Most of the coins in my collection are replaceable - that is, they aren't one of a kind. Therefore, if someone offered what I consider to be a ludicrous amount, the answer would certainly be yes with essentially zero hesitation, because I could use that money to replace the coin with equally interesting newps.

Beijim

Since I'm interested in building sets the only way I'd consider selling a 'money' coin from within one my sets is if I was collapsing the entire set to concentrate on others. Other than that, I complete the sets I'm working on then start looking for upgrades - when I find a suitable upgrade the coin being replaced goes on the block to help pay for the upgrade and help with filling other sets.

It sure is a viscious cycle, but I've been having a lot of fun doing. In some respects the 'hunt' is more fun than the acquisition...

I would have to say that if the price being offered was good enough that I could replace the coin at the same grade and maybe have money left over to buy another needed coin, I would probably sell.

Unless of course the coin was truly one of a kind.

John

I dunno, I would probably keep hemming and hawing to avoid making a decision -- unless I got the coin or made the coin specifically to sell. But let's say I have this magnificent coin and someone offered me $10,000 for it. I wonder which would come out first, the dollar signs in my eyes and that really annoying cash register sound or the "thanks but no thanks" speech?

Neil

I think I would sell any coin of mine if I got the right price for it. I think anybody would for that matter. I guess greed is part of human nature.

I don't sell any coins.....spent so long looking for them that I just wouldn't do it. Money coin is that 89CC Morgan, and it took forever for me to get it.....forget about selling it.

Sure, everything is for sale. However, like I said in another thread, I don't post pictures of my favorite coins too often because some day someone will make an offer that I'll have to take. There is no need to tempt others. laugh.gif

While no coins in my collection are for sale, if someone made me an offer that was what I consider "stupid money", then I would have to sell.I'm not about to sell for just strong money or even very strong money. I get too much enjoyment out of the coins and at the current time, I don't need the money.

Well, I will modify it slightly. I guess I'd sell a "double or triple" of a date that I already have, if there wasn't a sentimental attachment to it. For instance, I do have multiples of certain common dates in Liberty Gold, and holding onto a bunch of Ms 63 common date eagles isn't all that productive. So, I'd get rid of a coin that had NO meaning to me---got 3 1888 Philadelphia 10 dollar golds in Ms 63--maybe the PCGS one goes? smile.gif