• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm out posted by #

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Had a lot of fun

I've attempted to educate NGC about GSA's and VAMS repeatedly. I'm just beating my head against the wall. Last year and then last month I asked about adding VAMS and was told only those on the Hit List 40, Hot List 50 and Top 100 would be allowed. Not true; 1881-CC, 1883-CC and 1884-CC have VAMS in the registry and aren't on any list. Now I'm being told PCGS GSA's aren't allowed and have never been allowed in the hard case GSA registry.

I've learned so much from so many here including the great staff at NGC; and I mean that sincerely. But my focus is 98% GSA followed by the best 1879 mint and proof set assembled and I'm tired. Thanks to everyone, keep joy and happiness in your collecting and life.

All sets deleted, auto renewal off...I'm out.

David/HashTag/#

See more journals by #

Hey David,

I hear you there, man....I hear you. I've come to the same conclusions for my own collecting life, but for different reasons. The Registry isn't for everyone, and sometimes it can be an area of interest and pursuit for some collectors at a certain time, but then things change......such is life. For me, I collect a lot of classic world coinage series that I have to buy raw and certify myself because the current certified population is typically very small. So that means a lot of certification fees for me. Also, I've come to the conclusion that, and this is just my personal assessment for my personal collection, that a box of slabs isn't as satisfying as a nice, full Dansco album. So that's the avenue I've decided to pursue. Also, I'm an extremely uncompetitive person, so a competitive platform will never hold a strong allure for me.

There's no wrong way to pursue this wonderful hobby as long you're having fun and enjoying the coins you collect, which it sounds like you do. As for me, I'm out of the Registry game and I'm working on taking my sets down as I have time, but I'm sticking around for communication and selling purposes. Keep enjoying your coins!!!

~Tom

At the end of the day the Registry is an attempt to make a community of collectors that everyone can use and enjoy as a way of sharing our collections and what we love about it. I'm sure in no small part what you're dealing with is that NGC has limited resources to devote to the registry (and to specialty labels and designations in grading for that matter) and they can't always do everything. Sometimes as a collector and a company you have to pick your battles so to speak. I'm sure cost and resource pressures are a constant thing for them as much or more than it is for us.

I could actually see this as being even more of an issue if what you're fighting for is special designations on graded coins you're submitting. If NGC is going to certify something they have to have somebody that can't verify the authenicity of that coin, the variety, and that the coin has that variety. They can't just take your word for it - you own the coin and want the designation so you're biased. You have a dog in that hunt. If they certify it without the knowledge resources to back it up, they expose themselves to liability and potential damage to their reputation. I can't blame NGC therefore in sticking with only common, well-known, easily identifiable and verifiable varieties. It's just safer for them.

I'm sorry that this is something that has upset you so much that you're quitting. If you stayed you could still share what you know and love about these VAMs in custom sets and journals and everyone that wanted to could learn and grow from that.

• Administrator

Hello, David.

Any NGC (or PCGS) certified Morgan with a VAM variety is eligible in the NGC Registry. This has always been the case, so if you were led to believe otherwise, we apologize for any misinformation you may have received. If you have a certain coin and you are unsure where it may fit, we are happy to assist. Please let us know if we may provide any help. Thank you.

I'm waiting on you David. Ali has left your NGC response you were looking for.

Lets get the coins in question rolling here. :grin:

And the fun continues --- Your not going anywhere -- We enjoy your presence HERE!!!! ;)

Hi David,

I know just how frustrating this can be. See my recent journal post : Perseverance Pays Off. It took me several years to get a new variety recognized, but I still believe it was worth the effort.

If the competitive set registry doesn't suite your needs, you can always create a Custom Registry set. I've done that in several cases as well.

Hang in there, I enjoy reading your posts.

you're not beating your head against a wall, you're beating it against a bureaucracy, one really very little different from a government bureaucracy. The reason? Supercorps' employees have no stake in it and obviously no say in it, it's all top-down management and the top guys in this organization couldn't care less what we think. I have a problem with a lot of things they do out here and have even offered to do the work for free to help clean it up (research in comparative rarity so that we can get the numbers fair across the board) and get no response. The help that we actually get to talk to, with all respect to them of course, are just paid drones, they punch a clock, do what they're told and enjoy their paychecks on payday. Sad that an organization like NGC would ignore the needs and requests of the very collectors who made them rich...

At the end of the day the Registry is an attempt to make a community of collectors that everyone can use and enjoy as a way of sharing our collections and what we love about it...

With all due respect for your opinion as well as for NGC, I think the purpose of NGC, at least from their standpoint, has always been to make money, and the purpose of the registry sets at both PCGS & NGC was to give collectors incentive to buy their product, nothing more, nothing less. NO corporation cares more about anything but bottom line profits, that is a given, so why would anyone think they went to all this trouble and expense just to make it easy for us to display our collections to the collecting public?

:/

TO ALL COLLECTORS:

I personally like NGC's registry system, even with the restrictions, but if you get tired of the restrictions here, you can always open a free account on USA Coin Book- it doesn't have pre-formed registry sets that force you into a mold and you can list coins as a collection, for sale, or a little of both, and you can move them from one to the other with just a couple quick clicks of the mouse. I have been using it for months and have actiually sold about ten grand in rare coins since then. Here's the URL in case anyone is interested:

usacoinbook.com

Good luck to all, enjoy!