• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Just Having Fun" MS68 PCGS Slab!

448 posts in this topic

Paul. Thank you for that post.

First, you correctly pointed out that I intentionally selected THE finest representative of these NGC Boards (as far as I know) to assist Board Members here who truly wanted to understand the grade of this dime. " Impeccable reputation" could be a slight understatement in Mark's case.

You don't participate on these boards except in this one case to defend a coin that many are taking issue on with the respect for quality for the grade, so it seems strange to me to make such a grand proclamation. You can of course select who you want, but tone down the over-hyped superlatives IMHO.

There are plenty of folks here who have impeccable reputations and are just as good at grading as Mark. This is not to slight Mark, but I believe you have slighted the others in your statement above, which you would have known if you spent time here on these boards. I have my own personal list of 'finest representatives' on the NGC boards but am not about to follow your lead and make such a grand proclamation. Some are collectors, some are dealers.......

Paul. Thank you for that post.

First, you correctly pointed out that I intentionally selected THE finest representative of these NGC Boards (as far as I know) to assist Board Members here who truly wanted to understand the grade of this dime. " Impeccable reputation" could be a slight understatement in Mark's case.

You don't participate on these boards except in this one case to defend a coin that many are taking issue on with the respect for quality for the grade, so it seems strange to me to make such a grand proclamation. You can of course select who you want, but tone down the over-hyped superlatives IMHO.

There are plenty of folks here who have impeccable reputations and are just as good at grading as Mark. This is not to slight Mark, but I believe you have slighted the others in your statement above, which you would have known if you spent time here on these boards. I have my own personal list of 'finest representatives' on the NGC boards but am not about to follow your lead and make such a grand proclamation. Some are collectors, some are dealers.......

I appreciate the kind words HT, thanks.

I still contend: remove the dime in the OP from the plastic and separate it from the label denoted grade of "MS68FB", and you have a $200-300 dime max. The only people who would pay more are those who think they could get such a dime in the absolute maxed out plastic (like I think it is now) and could make a killing selling it to someone who strokes his/her ego in the registry game.

I don't think this coin could "stand alone" outside the plastic/label/registry. Just MHO.

:popcorn:

"I have my own personal list of 'finest representatives' on the NGC boards"

HardTimes... YOU are allowed to compile your list of finest, so I did as well. I never said Mark was the finest grader here, I said he was the finest "representative" here in my opinion.

I became a member here in 2002, not last week. In (14) years, you might be surprised what I can pick up on from talk on the street, across the street, etc. I don't need to be here on a daily basis to form an opinion on who the finest here might be.

Wondercoin

Edited by Wondercoin

HardTimes... YOU are allowed to compile your list of finest, so I did as well. I never said Mark was the finest grader here, I said he was the finest "representative" here in my opinion.

I became a member here in 2002, not last week. In (14) years, you might be surprised what I can pick up on from talk on the street, across the street, etc. I don't need to be here on a daily basis to form an opinion on who the finest here might be.

Wondercoin

You are consistent, I will give you that.

"You don't participate on these boards except in this one case to defend a coin"

If it was my coin, quite frankly, I could have cared less. BUT, this is a coin belonging to one of the greatest true coin collectors of the past twenty five years in my opinion. He consigned it to me, and I believe I have a duty to defend the coin where a defense is totally warranted.

This coin could have been the property of 1,000 different board members here. I suspect the vast majority of those board members may have been quite upset to read these comments about their prized coin especially from virtually everyone here who has NEVER seen the coin in hand.

So, of course, I will defend the coin; however many hours of my time it takes to do so.

Wondercoin

I mean this comment with no harsh feelings or contempt, but...

Create a void where men can inflate their egos in a "school yard" like fashion, and that void will certainly be filled. The registry has filled that spot, and Wondercoin has lobbied/enabled those kind of "collectors" for some 30 years. Everyone wants to be the "best" at something -- the registry just plays to those emotions.

People collect how they like, and just because someone doesn't have a PCGS #1 set of this or that doesn't make them an inferior level "true collector". I question the sanity of someone spending 5 figures on a 1964-D dime, but people also likely question my collecting. I report to no one but myself, and I don't find joy in filling holes in supposed "greatest registry sets" ever -- to each his own.

Wondercoin I do appreciate your willingness to share the history of some of the "closed door" happenings that created the landscape of how many people now collect (i.e., registry sets). As I mentioned before, you have given us insight into the trends in the inconsistency and gradeflation problem.

brg5658...

Thank you for that. I'll take that as a compliment.

I have assisted collectors with building a number of "Hall of Fame" Registry sets over the years, beautiful sets within the individual collector's budget (nowhere near #1 status), as well as great sets completely off the registry radar. I enjoy doing it with others and for myself. As I mentioned before, I personally started collecting my first coins around 47 years ago and many of the coins in my top registry sets I have owned for as many as 33 or 34 years now.

And, I love modern and classic coins equally. I am just as excited about my Clad Washington Quarter Registry set from 1965-1998 as I am my Liberty Nickel Pattern Registry set from 1881-1883. In fact, I just added a pattern nickel to that registry set last week (first addition in a few years) and I could not have been happier!

Wondercoin

"You are consistent, I will give you that."

Can I interpret that comment as sort of "an olive branch"?

Wondercoin

It is not a matter of an olive branch. I don't have any animosity or need to feel that a peace offering is necessary from me.

This coin could have been the property of 1,000 different board members here. I suspect the vast majority of those board members may have been quite upset to read these comments about their prized coin especially from virtually everyone here who has NEVER seen the coin in hand.

So, of course, I will defend the coin; however many hours of my time it takes to do so.

Wondercoin

I feel your consignor's pain Wondercoin. A few of my coins have inspired threads here, ATS, and elsewhere although it is usually due to asking prices and prices realized for monster toning. :sorry:

On another note, I didn't attack anyone or anyone else's coin; I wrote what I did as a question. The coin just took me by surprise when you mentioned in the listing that it was in an older holder before rampant grade inflation. No offense was meant. I think the thread was educational; thanks for participating.

Edited by coinman_23885

Thank you Coinman!

If you thought the story about Roosies was interesting ... you should only learn the story behind Jefferson Nickel registry set collecting ;)

Wondercoin

I mean this comment with no harsh feelings or contempt, but...

Create a void where men can inflate their egos in a "school yard" like fashion, and that void will certainly be filled. The registry has filled that spot, and Wondercoin has lobbied/enabled those kind of "collectors" for some 30 years. Everyone wants to be the "best" at something -- the registry just plays to those emotions.

People collect how they like, and just because someone doesn't have a PCGS #1 set of this or that doesn't make them an inferior level "true collector". I question the sanity of someone spending 5 figures on a 1964-D dime, but people also likely question my collecting. I report to no one but myself, and I don't find joy in filling holes in supposed "greatest registry sets" ever -- to each his own.

Wondercoin I do appreciate your willingness to share the history of some of the "closed door" happenings that created the landscape of how many people now collect (i.e., registry sets). As I mentioned before, you have given us insight into the trends in the inconsistency and gradeflation problem.

After the "surprise" (everybody knows) announcement upcoming in August, will the inconsistency and "gradeflation" continue on a grander scale, or will it solve any such issues? How does it impact registry sets, assuming the 100 point system is started? How would it impact this coin? Will this coin benefit or not? Is the effort selling the coin, with the extraordinary hype displayed in this thread by Mr. Wondercoin, because of the anticipation of the 100 point system, which could leave the buyer with a quandary that the present owner and Mr. Wondercoin would rather not take a chance of gambling on for their own account?

I still only want to know why the listing description of the coin includes "the "bands" are fine".

The coin is labeled FB. Is this not enough for the Registry?

Mr. Wondercoin is consistent in avoiding a simple explanation for what "the "bands" are fine" means. It is not a slip of using a different word. The listing has "bands" in quotation marks.

I am sure he has reasons. It is not about the grade to me. I don't care. It is the marks. I also don't care what caused the marks. I just want to know what the interpretation of "the "bands" are fine means.

The announcement forthcoming will most likely generate a nice return for the TPG, if enacted. I would think that the TPG has studied how many persons would re-submit, and I assume there would be a points evaluation for existing registry coins in the present grading system. Of course it will most likely be adjusted so the existing registry coins would most likely benefit from re-submitting. No business dummies. This of course had to occur in some form or another to continue a cash flow in the future. Good business move. I think dealers would get behind this very quickly. Mr. Snow I think is ahead of the pack in endorsement. The Brits are already there, but still.

Something makes me think Mr. wondercoin would enthusiastically endorse this surprise announcement.

I sometimes hear things on the street.

What's the surprise announcement? I am pretty well outside of the "in-crowd" and operating in my own little isolated bubble when it comes to the biz for the most part.

I am genuinely curious though if u care to share

Trust me the announcement will not be a 100 point system no matter what street you have your ear to.

Paul, that was an excellent post

mark

It is so painful reading the posts of Mr.Mc-longest-replies-on-earth...

:facepalm:

It is more painful to see an individual completely reverse his position without explanation. It usually denotes a lack of confidence and integrity in self.

Face palms are childish. If you want to be rude and belittling that is your Right.

I can only suggest you not read my posts.

What's the surprise announcement? I am pretty well outside of the "in-crowd" and operating in my own little isolated bubble when it comes to the biz for the most part.

Laser slab engraving that confirms that the CAC sticker is accurate in calling the coin accurately graded as an A or B coin for that slab grade.

Question is, when will see an exanpsion of the archaic ABC rating system. There are so many more letters that can better express where the coin falls on the quality spectrum.

Edited by mumu

brg5658

I like your collecting niche very much

mark

Laser slab engraving that confirms that the CAC sticker is accurate in calling the coin accurately graded as an A or B coin for that slab grade.

Question is, when will see an exanpsion of the archaic ABC rating system. There are so many more letters that can better express where the coin falls on the quality spectrum.

Tell me you're joking... ? Is this something CAC would do, PCGS/NGC, or are we going to be blessed by the graces of yet another pay to play must have for slabs? This has to be a joke... ?

Tell me you're joking... ? Is this something CAC would do, PCGS/NGC, or are we going to be blessed by the graces of yet another pay to play must have for slabs? This has to be a joke... ?

Rick ain't a CAC guy so I doubt it. There maybe some germs of thruth to the slab being identified/ marked

I suggest to be patient. Could be an air ball. Or not. I

mark

It is so painful reading the posts of Mr.Mc-longest-replies-on-earth...

:facepalm:

It is more painful to see an individual completely reverse his position without explanation. It usually denotes a lack of confidence and integrity in self.

I have no clue what you are referring to with this statement.

Wondercoin

53 posts in 14 years as of 6:15 pm CT on 5/17/16. While anyone can form an opinion on anything at anytime, it seems to me that active participation provides perhaps a stronger mechanism to gain that opinion than does 'talk' from afar. You would be surprised on what you would pick up here on a daily basis to form an opinion if you actively participated.

I am not disagreeing with Mark being an upstanding numismatist who can do a great job evaluating coins, we all know that. What I am disagreeing with your post is that anyone can be called the 'finest representative of these NGC boards'. It alienates everyone else here by making a decree like that............. so that is the point and why I called you out on your words.

Best, HT

Edited by Hard Times

Then again, I think many would take Wondercoin and his "limited posting", but obvious knowledge, over many here that have voluminous posting and obvious negativity and not as much knowledge as Wondercoin....

Just my 2c worth ;)

Then again, I think many would take Wondercoin and his "limited posting", but obvious knowledge, over many here that have voluminous posting and obvious negativity and not as much knowledge as Wondercoin....

Just my 2c worth ;)

Says the guy who has contributed probably 800 of his 833 posts by coming to this side of the street to defend the posters ATS. lol

Just my 2c worth ;)

I know a lot about granite rocks. In fact I know EVERYTHING about granite rocks. Do you collect granite rocks?? Therefore do you care what I know about granite rocks?

This SH I T is sooooo toxic around here.

Time for a nice long break.

I hope you all enjoy yourselves while bringing other people down, whining, crying and just being overly negative about anyone and anything that doesn't line up with your narrow minded views & opinions.

Good luck

This SH I T is sooooo toxic around here.

Time for a nice long break.

I hope you all enjoy yourselves while bringing other people down, whining, crying and just being overly negative about anyone and anything that doesn't line up with your narrow minded views & opinions.

Good luck

I have felt like this in the past. Actually one of our esteemed posters asked if I word reconsider as there is such little participation in numbers here. Take a short break and please come back.You are a quality poster.

mark