• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acetone on Nickels? Bad idea?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I've read that acetone doesn't alter the surfaces on silver and gold. However; I've also read that it has adverse effects on copper- it turns copper orange?

Well, I've purchased this 20th century type set and it's on the way. I noticed the 1911 Liberty Head nickel has some "gunk" on it and I thought about giving this piece some TLC. Here is listing; go ahead and critique.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111969540886?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Question: will acetone alter the surfaces of this coin beyond removing the "gunk"? Will it appear as if its been dipped? Produce artificial patina? I ask because I never used acetone.

Thank you,

Rich

Edited by PocketArt

I've never had acetone affect copper negatively. I've used it dozens and dozens of times, with no bad results. Not sure where you heard that.

Acetone also has no impact on nickel (and is perfectly safe to use).

I have, however, had bad reactions with aluminum - do not use acetone on aluminum coins.

gunk is frequently on circulated coins, if you take too much off it will sometimes look cleaned

I have used acetone many times on nickels, of there is a color change, it is because some pvc film has been removed.

Actually, if the surface of a copper coin has certain commonly used chemicals on it, the coin will turn blue-purple if acetone is applied. At one time TPGS's regarded "blue copper" as an alteration. Now the are prized. The blue color can be removed w/additional treatment.

Acetone will not hurt nickel. Nevertheless, it is often better to leave the "skin" on some coins.

Edited by Insider

I just acetoned a few rolls of MS Jeffs, and I didn't detect any lasting evidence that I had done so except that the PVC slime was now truly gone.

Appreciate shared experiences, advice, and assurances concerning the use of acetone to remove organic matter.

I received the 20th century type set today and took a close up of the Liberty Head. I'm going forward with the cleaning process and I'll post my results. I read it's important to buy acetone from hardware store and not from a Walmart,or, DG due to quality of acetone. I know to rinse thoroughly after the bath in distilled water. Also health/safety precautions.

Just curious to know how long do you soak the coin? Is this a matter of a few days, hours, minutes? Do you have to use anything else to remove the "gunk" or will it dissolve on own?

Thanks,

Rich

161917.jpg.874ab48c68535ada7bcb6721d468f2be.jpg

You can use a q-tip to help remove debris. Debris will re-deposit if coin is left in acetone for an extended amount of time -- usually just a few minutes should be sufficient.

wood handled cotton swab - moisten and roll over areas of concern

I have a glass jar with screw cap - on heavy stuff I might leave overnight but suspect 30 minutes will give you as much as you will get.

Well, so far the Liberty Head has soaked for 2 hours with no effect. I gently tamped one of the spots with a q-tip and the "gunk" appears encrusted. Will let this coin soak overnight and check in morning. I'm a bit suspicious now that it's rust...

Out of curiosity I did a search on removing rust from coins- not something I would do but was interested in what techniques are out there...

I stumbled across Rachel who explains how to "remove rust from silver coins" on this youtube. Must watch if you care about your coins!!!! Keep her away from your coins!!!

Too funny....sorry, I had to share.

If you rub the coin with a q-tip, you will leave hairlines.

I have used Qtips on hundreds of coins, and never left a hairline. If used gently, with acetone, it is perfectly safe (obviously, if you dig in hard it may leave hairlines).

Try it for yourself.

I have also used Q-tips with no adverse effects. Just dip it in the acetone and gently roll it over the surfaces of the coin. Change the Q-tip as required. Depending on how heavy the PVC is you may actually see the Q-tip turn green. Make sure you use wood or cardboard shaft Q-tips. Acetone does not like plastic.

Edited by Tommy44

Cotton swabs will not scratch the coins if used gently, as stated above; but if loose debris (especially metallic dust) gets caught in the fibers, it can scratch the surface as you rub it over the coin.

Just a follow up on the Liberty Head / acetone bath project.

I initially did a 2 hour soak with no changes to surface area of coin- so I went ahead and did a 12 hour soak with no results, and followed up with a 24 hour soak. No change with encrusted deposits; I would guess that it's rust, or, something else that may have oxidized on surface of coin. As true to previous posts from forum members- there was no change in the original patina of coin. I feel quite confident in this process for future organic related blemishes on coins so thanks for insight. I'll let alone any attempts to do more with this piece- any attempts to remove this deposit would probably cause more harm than good.

Below is a picture of the Liberty Head after acetone process, and a few other coins that where included in the 20th century type set. Usually I process these sets out into my collection but I'll probably leave this one together and upgrade the Barber coins along with the SLQ. Included is a picture of my first Lincoln woodie that was in set- along with my second Bugs, a nice 1888 Indian, and a solid MS64 Walker. Many other nice coins, 60 small date Lincoln, 50 D Jefferson Gem BU. Thought good deal for accepted offer on this set!

161951.jpg.84e7e2c0e37f7eee912ed5b92c6817ab.jpg

161952.jpg.733004c8146fe3a2e16f6e98b2c3b537.jpg

161953.jpg.a6dea1f3ca0f51bad35b69e9506a559e.jpg

161954.jpg.3528b5bf0734a3686c2e449bb7c3bad3.jpg

161955.jpg.89819deac9ef0b5e3d5121a66ba41741.jpg

I can't tell - is that black gunk on the surface raised? I have seen similar spots on cents and always wondered if it was related to the copper component, or something from the mint, like grease on dies.

I have heard people suggest using a rose thorn to pick at debris, but whenever I tried, it just left a mark on the coin.

e1cnr- it is raised, and the encrusted "gunk" looks like black tar when viewed in hand so it may very well be grease. It would be tempting to use a rose thorn on this but unlikely to lift the debris. Would need a dental pick to remove this as it's solidified- would not ever do this or suggest.

I imagine the surface of the coin is probably altered underneath the "gunk" that it's probably best to leave alone. Would be interesting to see an example like this with similar deposit that was removed, and what the coin looks like after process.

I wonder what would happen if you tried applying bleach to the surface. I am NOT advocating this, if this sounds interesting perhaps a test on a common nickel using proper skin and eye protection.

There are some fairly nasty industrial solvents that might do something, but the cost of the solvents probably exceeds the value of the coin.

wood handled cotton swab - moisten and roll over areas of concern

I have a glass jar with screw cap - on heavy stuff I might leave overnight but suspect 30 minutes will give you as much as you will get.

I have learned that "professional" coin conservation is NEVER done with wood Q-tips, only the paper stem ones as there is less chance of harming the coin as you roll it over the surface.

I would suggest you pay the few dollars for one without "gunk" on it. Your liberty cent looks altered in its color now that you've left it in acetone over night. I suggest if you don't get it off with a q-tip you leave it alone,  but I never suggest leaving any coin in acetone. 

Good luck!

Love the video.  Soak your coins in acid, and scrub them with an abrasive with a brush, but when you rinse them use distilled water because chemicals in your tap water could hurt your collectible coins.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Love the video.  Soak your coins in acid, and scrub them with an abrasive with a brush, but when you rinse them use distilled water because chemicals in your tap water could hurt your collectible coins.

Great piece of advice.  I've used a Brillo pad -- but I had my reason. That was 40 years ago. Look at the result now.  Clearly cleaned. Originally caked with mud. Diameter: 2"/5 cms. Quarter-inch thick and heavy. I have no idea what it is, where it's from or its age.20210223_183745.thumb.jpg.82e2a01a486566b26d94f4824b359c29.jpg20210223_183745.thumb.jpg.82e2a01a486566b26d94f4824b359c29.jpg

20210223_182951.jpg

On 4/22/2016 at 8:41 PM, PocketArt said:

Well, so far the Liberty Head has soaked for 2 hours with no effect. I gently tamped one of the spots with a q-tip and the "gunk" appears encrusted. Will let this coin soak overnight and check in morning. I'm a bit suspicious now that it's rust...

Out of curiosity I did a search on removing rust from coins- not something I would do but was interested in what techniques are out there...

I stumbled across Rachel who explains how to "remove rust from silver coins" on this youtube. Must watch if you care about your coins!!!! Keep her away from your coins!!!

Too funny....sorry, I had to share.

Rachel is a complete embarrassment.  That’s why I hate online video makers.

Edited by VKurtB

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Rachel is a complete embarrassment.  That’s why I hate online video makers.

A nylon bristled toothbrush and toothpaste used on a collectible silver coin and she cautions against using -- tap water... Huh?

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

A nylon bristled toothbrush and toothpaste used on a collectible silver coin and she cautions against using -- tap water... Huh?

Zackly. Boy, it sure is great that they don’t let just anybody post videos, right? Object lesson: about 75-90% of what you see on YouTube is complete BS, and always has been. 

All the stuff I've learned the only thing I ever do is maybe an acetone dunk. No scrubbing or anything. Or rinse with water.  If the stuff is still on them after that then it can stay on them. If it's worth getting graded then it can go to NCS cause I don't trust myself to remove it.