• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Black Toning A Time To Act?

23 posts in this topic

I purchased this GSA 1884-CC Morgan today for a reasonable price that I'd grade at a solid 63. It has an interesting in hand, black toning; with minor hints of green, and faint red which extend from the 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions. Of course, you could see better in hand with good light these characteristics...I did my best to capture the color in question.

I've read a thread here some time back on terminal toning in regards to "black" toning- I believe it was with a thread on a Peace Dollar? Black beauty? Anyways, this Morgan isn't terminal yet IMO; but I was wondering if now is a "time to act," in a preventative maintenance approach before it reaches that end.

Question: Should I send this out to NGC for conservation if possible; or, should I not and leave her alone?

Thanks,

Rich

161574.jpg.18c1dac89a590be63a545c32e2316ebe.jpg

161575.jpg.58b772bbb25cf4e75c1694dc4c77aed0.jpg

161576.jpg.e400f4519c82b242dc54e74edbb9955e.jpg

161577.jpg.2f39c44856ab11bb013b8cfbab8bcf8f.jpg

The toning on your coin looks natural and attractive, and does not look "black." But to answer the original question, "Is Black Toning A Time To Act," the answer is definitely "no." It is too late to act, and the coin will already be etched, so there's little or nothing that you can do about it.

If mine...Leave it in the holder and sell it. In most cases, once a silver coin goes "Black" it is etched under the oxidation. When the dark color is mostly at the rim as yours, The coin can often be restored w/o leaving any evidence of conservation.

Anyway, worth more in holder and I'd sell it.

Leave it in the holder. Black is the terminal state for tarnish, and once it's there, it will only look worse if you try to remove it.

The removal of damaging toning is also a damaging act; thus, dipping a coin is not conservation.

The best course of action for the coin in question is to store it in a cool, dry place, and to use intercept shield or similar technology to absorb harmful gasses before they get to the coin. Those measures should allow the coin to remain about the same.

The toning crescent on this coin looks to be more like the type caused by bag storage, and it has probably been there since before the coin was encapsulated. I would argue that it is probably pretty stable already.

It's not worth the expense of expert cleaning, and the result would likely be a dull gray arc less attractive than at present. Classic MS-61 obverse.

I think NCS would not conserve knowing that if the dark toning were removed it would leave ugly brown or grey color and 'details' grade. I've done it. Please leave it alone.

It is an unattractive coin with the black toning. It needs to be dipped off. You could try working it gently taping a dip soaked Q tip on it. The surfaces under the black tarnish could be dull.....

In its present state, it is not a coin I consider something I could easily sell unless heavily discounted. Save your money and try to get a nice MS 65 CAC 1884-CC which has super cartwheel luster and no unattractive toning.

If you feel the dipping yourself may be risky, possibly NCS or blow it out and get rid of it. One way or another the coin is going to cost you money.

When toning is black, it's considered environmental damage and is too far gone to conserve. If you are able to actually remove the black toning, there will be underlying surface damage that will be uncovered.

It is an unattractive coin with the black toning. It needs to be dipped off. You could try working it gently taping a dip soaked Q tip on it. The surfaces under the black tarnish could be dull.....

In its present state, it is not a coin I consider something I could easily sell unless heavily discounted. Save your money and try to get a nice MS 65 CAC 1884-CC which has super cartwheel luster and no unattractive toning.

If you feel the dipping yourself may be risky, possibly NCS or blow it out and get rid of it. One way or another the coin is going to cost you money.

That is a dangerous typo and I'm sure you meant tapping not taping as prolonged "taped" dipping agent could damage the coin.

I actually think that metallic black toning is not of the terminal variety and that with good pictures would actually look good. There are some lovers of metallic black toning and what I consider the true black beauty coins have this type of black toning as opposed to the terminal damaging kind.

I happen to like this type of toning on GSA dollars a lot, and in fact, bought one simply because of the black color (mine has two crescents of black). No way would I think this one should be "conserved" or messed with when you could easily buy a replacement, and allow yours to go to someone who DOES like the appearance.

Thanks for all your input on the GSA Morgan. I plan to keep this piece in its original state, and not attempt to preserve for fear of further damaging the coin. The "etching" that was brought to my attention in regards to black toning is of concern so I will take preventative measures to arrest the progress. The original pictures I posted truly don't do justice that this Morgan deserves, and undoubtedly may have skewed a few responses.

I've been experimenting with improving my technique with photographing and tried recapturing what I initially posted in natural lighting. To note; I failed to mention that this Morgan has proof like qualities that the initial pictures failed to reveal.

I'll be keeping this piece as the black toning caught my eye and is still better than the next group of pictures show. I tried to capture the "cartwheel" luster on this piece underneath the black as best as possible.

161627.jpg.cbd3e3098ac58edfda30e8e048c81b2f.jpg

161628.jpg.ef287db67a448944993e0489cfd541e5.jpg

161629.jpg.05531b818e693aba725d7259163c1cd6.jpg

161630.jpg.34dddfc6f6f0feb7b92b2b5203616f9b.jpg

161632.jpg.a7bbe69f85d1ba1f9b3b019e852d2ace.jpg

Much much much better. I never grade from pictures as I have stated many times. The coin is very nice and I would keep it for a couple of other reasons in addition to your description. That coin has a lot of character and I don't care really whether it is in or out of a TPG holder.

While some people like black toning, it is not a look that I find attractive.

The only action to take when a coin has black toning is to sell it to someone who likes it.

I had re-posted some pictures on the Morgan with black toning on the previous page to this thread and was wondering if these had changed any opinions of those who previously posted. I did my best to capture the "cartwheel" toning on the Morgan underneath the black.

Thanks!

Rich