• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgradable?

Will it upgrade?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Will it upgrade?

9 posts in this topic

I have been wrestling with grading some raw examples of these coins for my local club auction. When I was dealer I handled some of these coins, mostly pieces I thought were under graded in the holder. Nineteenth and early 20th century coins and tokens were my thing.

You coin has a long thin scratch from Franklin's hair to his cheek. I also believe that it has a number of small marks on the bell, but it's hard to tell from the photo. It also has a mark though the bell lines on the left side. That's a place where collectors are going to take a close look because of the bell line designation.

For those reasons I said no upgrade, but I've seen examples of these coins with more marks than I thought should be on an MS-65 graded coin. The bottom line is anything could happen on a re-grade if the piece is submitted raw.

This coin seems to have a very fine scratch on the obverse however, the color will command a star IMO so the cost would be offset by the star even if it doesn't upgrade.

If this is mine, it goes to NGC. They should have gotten it in the first place.

What a GORGEOUS coin Danye!

However, that scratch across his cheek immediately draws the eye to it, and I just don't think it'd go to 65...

Certainly a keeper though!

In hand, it looks like a 64/65. The scratch on the cheek appears only at a few angles, but the one on Ben's shoulder is more prominent. The coin GLOWS though!

I voted maybe, as on a good day. As mentioned, the scratch on the face is distracting but there are also nics and scratches on bens collar. Then you have the reverse. I think it has nice color but if you pay attention to the niceness of it's looks, you tend to not see the negative stuff after a while. I think 64 is a good grade for it and still a nice looking frankie!

I voted 'maybe', as it has that scratch across obverse and some scattered contact marks.

Superb color, in any event, so I do believe that it is NGC STAR quality.

maybe, but if you had a forth option that said 'probably' I'd have picked it. Beautiful coin, you have a great eye. Do you know if it was it wrapped in tissue paper? That fine line running down the obv makes it look like it was from a piece of paper with some sulfur in it...