• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1932 P & S Washingtons for the Dansco

8 posts in this topic

When I originally started collecting toner Washingtons I was planning on only collecting them from 1940 - 1964, as I wasn't interested in the clad coins, and the 1932 - 1939 range was where a lot of the money in the series was located. I collected them in slabs (predominantly MS66, with a sprinkling of 65's and rather more 67's).

After awhile I got rather enamored with the series, and given how inexpensive the series was raw, I started putting together raw Washington Danscos (the majority of coins are MS64 - 65). Up until about a year ago I stayed within the 1940 - 1964 range. After seeing a few attractive circulated examples, I decided to include the 1932 - 1939 range of Washies in one of the Danscos. Some will be UNC, but most will be circulated. Here are the 1932 P & S Washingtons. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1932_rWA1o4_zps18744ba3.jpgbc1932_rWA1r5_zpsc00bd593.jpg

bc1932S_rWA1o3t_zps9n9ebazd.jpgbc1932S_rWA1r2t_zps2ya3pebz.jpg

When I originally started collecting toner Washingtons I was planning on only collecting them from 1940 - 1964, as I wasn't interested in the clad coins, and the 1932 - 1939 range was where a lot of the money in the series was located. I collected them in slabs (predominantly MS66, with a sprinkling of 65's and rather more 67's).

After awhile I got rather enamored with the series, and given how inexpensive the series was raw, I started putting together raw Washington Danscos (the majority of coins are MS64 - 65). Up until about a year ago I stayed within the 1940 - 1964 range. After seeing a few attractive circulated examples, I decided to include the 1932 - 1939 range of Washies in one of the Danscos. Some will be UNC, but most will be circulated.

That's awesome!! A few of my friends on the boards here know that I have 3 sets of WQs, non-cleverly named #1, #2, and #3. I aggressively upgrade and "trickle down" coins from my #1 set. I've managed to pick up a surprising number of toned coins over the years, and need to find some way to share them with you guys.

Although I personally can't stand State Quarters, et. al., the collecting of them definitely helped revitalize WQs in general, although prices today are very soft and attractive compared to ten years ago.

Thank you guys for your kind words. I'm glad you like them.

One of my favorites, but don't count out those clads!

Actually, I have started to collect the clads (one per date/mm) up through 1985. That is the end date on a Dansco page, and the next page has the flatter Washington design which I do not like. I figured if I was going to do the 1932 - 1939 run, I might as well include some clads too.

James, I agree with you... I started one raw (1940 - 1964) toner Washington Dansco. Then as I found upgrades, I started a second Dansco... and then a third. At least for now, I've stopped at 3. doh!

James, I agree with you... I started one raw (1940 - 1964) toner Washington Dansco. Then as I found upgrades, I started a second Dansco... and then a third. At least for now, I've stopped at 3. doh!

We might both be crazy then! I actually had a 4th album, but it only had straggler XF/AU coins from my very earliest attempts, and I eventually dumped it.

Now, I have almost no coins below AU-55, so when I cascade a coin all the way down past the 3rd album, they typically get donated to YN auctions (young numismatists), or 2x2ed for wholesale.