• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS OGH Gold CAC... Upgrade Candidate?

28 posts in this topic

I take there is a melted $10 gold piece in there.

Yeah, I think you're right...the 10$ Gold Piece is destroyed.

Gold has a melting point of 1,948 degrees Fahrenheit and apparently reaches this without a problem in a microwave...bad things happen. Do a internet query on gold in a microwave and you get a fair idea.

Why exactly would one temporarily store a slabbed gold coin in a microwave? I actually don't even care to know why, I don't even feel bad for the guy. How stupid.

Nick

]Why exactly would one temporarily store a slabbed gold coin in a microwave? [/u]I actually don't even care to know why, I don't even feel bad for the guy. How stupid.

Nick

That's the question I actually would like answered.

The coin make be discolored but it won't be melted. Microwave ovens work by causing the water molecules in the food to vibrate generating heat. To a lesser extent they can cause the heating of other materials. They reflect from metals though. What caused the melting of the slab was the concentration of the microwaves in a small area by both the incoming and reflected waves from the coin.

How long did this nimrod have the microwave running? How could you not hear the catastrophic event taking place? Does this insufficiently_thoughtful_person make a habit of turning the microwave on without putting food in? There is no way you don't notice a PCGS slabbed $10.00 sitting in the microwave as you put a bag of popcorn or a potato in.

My guess, this guy was trying to see if he could add a bit color to the gold coin letting the heat generated by the microwaves interact with the plastic. He must have thought, "Hmm.. 10 seconds didn't do much, let's see what 2 minutes does."

How long did this nimrod have the microwave running? How could you not hear the catastrophic event taking place? Does this insufficiently_thoughtful_person make a habit of turning the microwave on without putting food in? There is no way you don't notice a PCGS slabbed $10.00 sitting in the microwave as you put a bag of popcorn or a potato in.

My guess, this guy was trying to see if he could add a bit color to the gold coin letting the heat generated by the microwaves interact with the plastic. He must have thought, "Hmm.. 10 seconds didn't do much, let's see what 2 minutes does."

I was curious and I just checked my microwave settings and it does not have a gold eagle setting. Dayum

mark

You might be on to something there.

I use the microwave for storing bread. It stays fresh much longer. Never heard of using it for coin storage, so what on earth was this person doing?

Why exactly would one temporarily store a slabbed gold coin in a microwave? I actually don't even care to know why, I don't even feel bad for the guy. How stupid.

Nick

Well...yeah. That's the first thing I thought.

Maybe it went something like this: "Hey, I got a $2000 coin I'd like to store somewhere for safe keeping. Why not my microwave oven? No one hardly uses it in the day time and it's safe since no one would think to look there. That's a LOT better than my original idea of using my car's engine block or under my hot water heater. I never cease to amaze myself. I'm awesome!"

jom

Maybe the owner tried gassing it in the microwave. After all, he was dumb enough to put it there in the first place.

Or perhaps the coin was cursed and started burning through the holder, sort of like the Ark of the Covenant did in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Sounds like the owner didn't like his eagle. As a microwave technician I can say that it is probable that the magnetron would fail before the coin would melt. For sure sparks and noise would alert user before he could walk away. Damage likely done with a torch.

Ahhhh....You're suggesting it was an "outside job" so to speak? That would help explain the surface charring overlaying uncharred plastic.