• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning that makes you go "hmmmmm...."

37 posts in this topic

Never seen one of these toned like this before...

Striking 2009 s PCGS PR68DCAM Superb Gem Rainbow Toned Proof Presidential Dollar

Never seen one of these either...

Wild 1998 s PCGS SP69 SMS Superb Gem Colorful Toned Specimen Kennedy Half Dollar

Thats not to say that they arent completely 100% NT but...

Thoughts ?

You all are aware that these are Great Toning photos we're are talking about, right? That effects my interpretation of them. I don't like them, and wouldn't pay a premium for them, but I am betting the colors are much more subdued in hand.

Never seen one of these toned like this before...

Striking 2009 s PCGS PR68DCAM Superb Gem Rainbow Toned Proof Presidential Dollar

Never seen one of these either...

Wild 1998 s PCGS SP69 SMS Superb Gem Colorful Toned Specimen Kennedy Half Dollar

Thats not to say that they arent completely 100% NT but...

Thoughts ?

Manganese alloy coins definitely tone in these hues, so that effect is certainly possible. The 1998 is silver, and similar toning is seen on Silver Eagles, so it is also possible.

I did a little more homework...

There's a seller on Ebay with 12 raw Prez $ for sale with somewhat similar toning colors/patterns...

edynamicmarketing

And he has a boat load of toned Ikes - mostly raw, but also in PCGS Genuine slabs and straight graded NGC holders...

Again Im not saying all of this coins are AT but most of his offerings seem to scream AT...

178 Colorful Ike $

As for the JFK... well it might be NT those are colors that also are easy to AT.

I did a little more homework...

There's a seller on Ebay with 12 raw Prez $ for sale with somewhat similar toning colors/patterns...

edynamicmarketing

And he has a boat load of toned Ikes - mostly raw, but also in PCGS Genuine slabs and straight graded NGC holders...

Again Im not saying all of this coins are AT but most of his offerings seem to scream AT...

178 Colorful Ike $

As for the JFK... well it might be NT those are colors that also are easy to AT.

I would agree that many of those raw IKEs seem unnatural, and that some people are doctoring golden dollars. Those instances do not relate directly to the coins on this thread, however. These coins may or may not be natural, but they do not scream AT.

I looked through the 178 toned Ike's and I think the third party graders were quite accurate. The AT stuff was all in genuine holders. There is a reason many of the other toned Ike's were raw, they are nasty looking. The toned presidential dollar is clearly NT. I've seen many of these sets toned on one side. The Kennedy I don't like but I don't like it because it lacks eye appeal. Looks market acceptable for color and the third party guy liked it. Beware of any seller with 100 plus coins that look the same...

Both are totally natural. Just the tilted slab increases the look of the toning.

I have had Kennedy's tone in the plastic capital set holders. They are more of a

subdued, pastel tone.

All of mine slabbed.

I get the feeling that if Mark F started a stickering service, every coin would be stickered. Except my coins of course.

Maybe you should use this picture from Ebay and quote this, "toning that makes you go hmmmmm..." I mean I don't know how can NGC approved it as NT? The obverse is completely brilliant white.

I am not really sure the point that you are trying to make however I will try to interpret your post and ask you what do find questionable about that toning that makes you go hmmm ? Ive seen many toned Morgans with similar toning patterns and colors over the years straight graded by both PCGS and NGC. But I am not an expert in Morgan toning and dont bother to collect them. So perhaps you can educate me...

As for the coins in my OP, once again and as I have stated before, PCGS is far more lax when in comes to the AT/NT/MA issue in regards to toning. Look at the breadth of toned ASEs in PCGS plastic...

Ive seen many more coins, especially modern toners with suspect toning in PCGS plastic then I have seen in NGC. And modern toners is something I do try to specialize in. I wont even send modern toners to NGC anymore because of it. Not so recently I had 0 modern toners out of 13 grade at NGC but I then sent all of them to PCGS and I went 13 for 13. All of them were in my opinion NT.

Its pretty easy to get a modern toner straight graded at PCGS.

Really? I just never seen this kind of toning on Morgan Dollar. It looking like it was in plastic box with matchstick for a long time and make it a neon color. You guys are expert though, and I am still learning... Anyways, I agree with Tonerguy that it's pretty easy to get a modern toner graded at PCGS.

Can anyone post any other examples of toned Prez $ or toned 1998 JFKs Spec pieces that have been graded by PCGS or NGC ?

I have had some Sacs that have were toned before but none as dramatic as the example being discussed.

SD2003-SNGCPF68UC.jpgSD2000-DPCGSMS65.jpg

Personally, I don't mind the toning on the Prez $, but I find the toning on the Kennedy disturbing and would not consider that MA.

Maybe you should use this picture from Ebay and quote this, "toning that makes you go hmmmmm..." I mean I don't know how can NGC approved it as NT? The obverse is completely brilliant white.

Colorful%20Morgan_zpskiozt9eh.jpg

My avatar is from the Battle Creek hoard. I have owned more than a dozen Battle Creek Morgans over the years and didn't find anything unusual about the toning. Part of the problem is that the photo you are viewing is highly saturated.

I have had some Sacs that have were toned before but none as dramatic as the example being discussed.

Personally, I don't mind the toning on the Prez $, but I find the toning on the Kennedy disturbing and would not consider that MA.

I have two Sacs toned much like the ones you have posted so I truly believe them to be NT and have seen many others that seem to be similar - raw and slabbed by NGC and PCGS. So to me they are at least MA.

I just have never seen another slabbed Prez $ with that toning or any JFK spec. toned like that as well... which always make me suspect.

I have two Sacs toned much like the ones you have posted so I truly believe them to be NT and have seen many others that seem to be similar - raw and slabbed by NGC and PCGS. So to me they are at least MA.

I just have never seen another slabbed Prez $ with that toning or any JFK spec. toned like that as well... which always make me suspect.

Here is a link to Winged Liberty's Registry where you will see 10.

Link

Here is a link to Winged Liberty's Registry where you will see 10.

Link

Thank you. Now this begs the question are there any in NGC slabs ?

PCGS is notoriously lax in regards to straight grading modern toners (ie., toned ASEs) but NGC is extremely tight...

When I see coins in both PCGS and NGC slabs my first reaction is that while they may not be NT, at least they are MA.