• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Strike

First Strike  

33 members have voted

1. 1. First Strike

17 posts in this topic

When it comes to slabbed coins, does a First Strike or Early Release coin have less value than the same non First Strike with the same grade?

Please explain

Would you rather the coin (same grade both ways) be a first strike or not? Please vote

Your question is a bit confusing. IMO, in the market today, bullion collectors prefer either FS or ER.

Me, if I buy the ER to hedge my bets. I really don't care either way. I won't pay more for that designation though.

I buy coins, not labels. To me the "first strike" concept is nothing but marketing. A more accurate term would be "among the first delivered and unopened before submitted for grading." That title is too long, but it describes what "first strike" is.

When the U.S. Mint System prepares to issue a particular coin, it produces a run of pieces to satisfy the projected initial demand. The very first coins stuck from a set a dies are mixed with the later coins. Given the durable nature of modern coin dies with respect to cameo finishes and the like, the first coins struck are indistinguishable from the later strikes. Therefore the label "first struck" has nothing to do with when the coin was stuck. It is a marketing concept.

Saying this ATS will get you banned. I hope that does not happen to me here, but less experienced collectors need to know the truth before they pay a premium for a "first strike" label.

I buy coins, not labels. To me the "first strike" concept is nothing but marketing. A more accurate term would be "among the first delivered and unopened before submitted for grading." That title is too long, but it describes what "first strike" is.

When the U.S. Mint System prepares to issue a particular coin, it produces are a run of pieces to satisfy the projected initial demand. The very first coins stuck from a set a dies are mixed with the later coins. Given the durable nature of modern coin dies with respect to cameo finishes and the like, the first coins struck are indistinguishable from the later strikes. Therefore the label "first struck" has nothing to do with when the coin was stuck. It is a marketing concept.

Saying this ATS will get you banned. I hope that does not happen to me here, but less experienced collectors need to know the truth before they pay a premium for a "first strike" label.

Bill, I've said that here on a number of occasions, and I'm still around.

The terms First Strike and Early Releases mean absolutely nothing in relation to the condition of the coin. It could be the first coin struck or the one-hundred thousandth coin struck. This is no reflection on the grading services because they are in business to make money. You can blame it on the middle men who market these coins and insist on such designations to bleed the uneducated collectors out of their money.

Chris

When the U.S. Mint System prepares to issue a particular coin, it produces are a run of pieces to satisfy the projected initial demand. The very first coins stuck from a set a dies are mixed with the later coins. Given the durable nature of modern coin dies with respect to cameo finishes and the like, the first coins struck are indistinguishable from the later strikes. Therefore the label "first struck" has nothing to do with when the coin was stuck. It is a marketing concept.

The terms First Strike and Early Releases mean absolutely nothing in relation to the condition of the coin. It could be the first coin struck or the one-hundred thousandth coin struck. This is no reflection on the grading services because they are in business to make money. You can blame it on the middle men who market these coins and insist on such designations to bleed the uneducated collectors out of their money.

Chris

Chris, I don't see how you can blame the "middle men" and at the same time, give a free pass to the grading companies. After all, the former couldn't sell them without the assistance of the latter.

No no one forces the grading companies to use those words on their grading labels and I don't think being in business to make money is an adequate excuse.

Chris

Chris, I don't see how you can blame the "middle men" and at the same time, give a free pass to the grading companies. After all, the former couldn't sell them without the assistance of the latter.

No no one forces the grading companies to use those words on their grading labels and I don't think being in business to make money is an adequate excuse.

Hi, Mark!

One of the middlemen I'm referring to is Coin Vault. I'm not saying any more on the subject.

Chris

Chris

Hi, Mark!

One of the middlemen I'm referring to is Coin Vault. I'm not saying any more on the subject.

Chris

Hi Chris.

That's your choice, but I still don't understand why you give the grading companies a free pass.

The consumer is at fault. That's like blaming the Kardashians for people being interested in them. You just have to accept that like voters, not all consumers are the same thing. But the masses of consumers out there buying this stuff up are why they exist.

If consumers were willing to pay an extra $100 for a balloon attached their slabs then slabs would have balloons.

"If consumers were willing to pay an extra $100 for a balloon attached their slabs then slabs would have balloons."

Super idea! Maybe it can be introduced at the next ANA? Helium balloons -- "Litest Slab in Town." "Your Coin Will Float in Splendor," "WXYZ Ultra Lite."

Next would be balloons in animal shapes.....with pluses and stars and wiggly widgets.

If there was a "helium balloon" registry on the PCGS site, some of the lemmings would flock to it. Just look at the "poorest known" registry of PR-01 coins. Imagine going out of your way to buy the worst coins possible and to strive to make an entire collection of junk. Image driving up the price of this junk to higher and higher levels in private purchases and at auction! It's the stuff of fiction, like Mel Brooks' movie and musical "The Producers." The difference the "hero" in that work of fiction was that he was striving to put together the worst Broadway musical ever in order to defraud his investors. These guys are striving to be the worst at what they are doing.

What it amounts to is a collection of pocket pieces. Those are coins that someone carries in the pockets for years which are worn perfectly smooth. It's the concept of striving to be the best or at least decent, turned totally on its head.

Chris

Hi, Mark!

Chris

Hi Chris.

That's your choice, but I still don't understand why you give the grading companies a free pass.

Mark, it would be nice if all of the major services refused to attribute these, but do you really think it would happen? If NGC stopped, do you think the others would follow suit, or if one of the others stopped, do you think NGC would? I doubt it!

Chris

Chris

Hi, Mark!

Chris

Hi Chris.

Mark, it would be nice if all of the major services refused to attribute these, but do you really think it would happen? If NGC stopped, do you think the others would follow suit, or if one of the others stopped, do you think NGC would? I doubt it!

Chris

No, Chris, I don't think that would happen. But I think that's a different subject.

If there was a "helium balloon" registry on the PCGS site, some of the lemmings would flock to it. Just look at the "poorest known" registry of PR-01 coins. Imagine going out of your way to buy the worst coins possible and to strive to make an entire collection of junk. Image driving up the price of this junk to higher and higher levels in private purchases and at auction! It's the stuff of fiction, like Mel Brooks' movie and musical "The Producers." The difference the "hero" in that work of fiction was that he was striving to put together the worst Broadway musical ever in order to defraud his investors. These guys are striving to be the worst at what they are doing.

What it amounts to is a collection of pocket pieces. Those are coins that someone carries in the pockets for years which are worn perfectly smooth. It's the concept of striving to be the best or at least decent, turned totally on its head.

I have 6 Ike dollars in my pocket right now worn down to a nice VF level. In another 3-4 years they might be a PR-01 candidate. And I will slab them and sell them. Thank God for those Poorest Known collectors. I wish I had more pockets... lol

I have 6 Ike dollars in my pocket right now worn down to a nice VF level. In another 3-4 years they might be a PR-01 candidate. And I will slab them and sell them. Thank God for those Poorest Known collectors. I wish I had more pockets... lol

It will take more than three or four years to wear them down to PR-01, unless you are going to use a grinder to speed the process. Those puppies are made of copper-nickel, and that stuff is harder than silver.

less experienced collectors need to know the truth before they pay a premium for a "first strike" label.

Yes, this label has never meant anything to me either.

I was always surprised that, in a manner of speaking, it 'caught on'.

Paul

It will take more than three or four years to wear them down to PR-01, unless you are going to use a grinder to speed the process. Those puppies are made of copper-nickel, and that stuff is harder than silver.

You could work your coins in your pockets for years, get those Ikes worn way way down. Then send the coins to PCGS and they come back overgraded at FR2. You send the coin to CAC and you get a gold sticker! What a nightmare!

:devil:

jom