• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Complete Collection

32 posts in this topic

See my custom set Coins for sale to see a short list of the 2011 coins I have for sale

Selling my whole collection of NGC graded modern coins. Full market value is over $51000.00. Will entertain any offer in the $39000.00 range also have many ungraded coins I would sell for about $1100.00. Will send a complete NGC report proving the value to anyone who HAS THE MONEY TO MAKE AN OFFER. At this time I am NOT SELLING SINGLE COINS as this will leave me stuck with the lower value coins with no way of selling them. Please at this time respect this.

Coins will be mailed USPS registried mail. Buyer responsible for all shipping and insurance cost must be insured for full market value. Will Email you the cost of shipping After receiving your excepted offer.

Please check out my collection and email offer to shaun164@live.com Thank you W M Fielding

I skimmed through it. To summarize for those who won't take the time to go through everything, it looks like 35 pages (more than 1700 items) of mostly modern PF69 proof clad coins with a few silver ones and a few PF70s. There are also MS64-MS67 modern business strikes (I didn't see any top pops), MS67-MS68 SMS coinage, and 1957-1970 PF67-PF68 coinage. There is some certified 90% silver in MS63-MS65.

To the OP, I know you don't want to hear this, but it is in your best interest to categorize everything and list it as a few different sets or partial sets on eBay. Very few are going to purchase that many moderns at once, and most won't bother taking the time to even skim all 35 pages. I have no idea price wise as I didn't bother to tally things up, but I would encourage you to look to eBay rather than the NGC price guide to get a better of idea of the fair market value of your items. I say this as constructive feedback so that it gives you a better chance of liquidating your coins.

I wish you the best in liquidating your coins.

you need to look again kind Sir there are over 500 Pf & Ms 70 coins and more than a hundred top pops One coin a 1985 proof nickel worth $2750 and rising and quite a few worth more than 300.00

The 1985-S Jefferson Nickel in PF70UCAM is about a $300 coin in actual sales.

I presume you mean the 1986-S nickel, not 1985. And, while the price guide may list the 1986-S at around $3000 in 70UCAM, the three 70s in PCGS plastic that sold in 2015 on Heritage sold for an average of $1272. I think Kenny's (coinman_23885) point is that the price guides are optimistic at best. Actual auction sales are far more realistic.

I sold my complete PF70UCAM Roosevelt set in auction through GreatCollections in early 2015, and it was eye opening (and depressing). The PF70 prices on modern (post-1976 or so) proofs has tanked in the past 2-3 years. Many more "perfect" 70s have been made, and the pops are only going up.

You can sell your sets however you see fit and for whatever price levels you'd like. But, I just don't see selling a huge selection of coins like this to a private (non dealer) buyer.

Best of luck with your sell-off, and you will be missed around these parts.

Best, Brandon

I wish you the best in selling your collection and have to agree with coinman_23885. Having looked at everything, there is no way I could retail this collection for anywhere close to $39k. As for the 1985 S PF69UCAM Jefferson nickel, it has an NGC price guide value of $22. and there are 2 on ebay priced at $15.95 and $19.99. Where did you come up with the value of $2750 for this coin?

I wish you the best in selling your collection and have to agree with coinman_23885. Having looked at everything, there is no way I could retail this collection for anywhere close to $39k. As for the 1985 S PF69UCAM Jefferson nickel, it has an NGC price guide value of $22. and there are 2 on ebay priced at $15.95 and $19.99. Where did you come up with the value of $2750 for this coin?

He was referring to his 1986-s PF70UCAM coin -- which retails for around $1200.

Just seek out the modern clad blowhards ATS that talk up the modern market. Ask them to put their money where their mouths are.

I don't know if anyone here remembers MadTV, but there were these two ladies that went "3...2...1...Reality Check."

With no disrespect I'm going to go "3...2...1...Reality Check."

1.) FMV is inflated and worthless to base anything on

2.) Ebay can be a fair place to gather prices. All one has to do is look at completed listings, and all the ones with the green numbers are the ones that sold.

3.) Here is a likely hypothetical situation. Joe collector X seriously collects Lincoln cents and Washington Quarters. He's been working on his sets hard for the past few years and has acquired some great pieces. He might want a few of Fielding's pieces but not all, because he has set collecting goals for himself based on those two sets and only those two sets. Joe collector X will not want to buy the entire Fielding collection because he does not collect every single coin the US mint makes. Most people set goals and stick to them.

1.) FMV is inflated and worthless to base anything on..

I disagree. It sounds like you are confusing" FMV" with price guides or other published prices which can be very different from "FMV". Fair Market Value is just that and not some inflated, unrealistic price.

"DEFINITION of 'Fair Market Value'

The price that a given property or asset would fetch in the marketplace, subject to the following conditions:

1. Prospective buyers and sellers are reasonably knowledgeable about the asset; they are behaving in their own best interests and are free of undue pressure to trade.

2. A reasonable time period is given for the transaction to be completed.

Given these conditions, an asset's fair market value should represent an accurate valuation or assessment of its worth."

Mark,

Now I have to respectfully disagree with you. I believe that Critter is referring to NGC's listed FMVs and specifically their FMV's on modern US Coins. Regarding classic US, NGC FMV's are realistic and they often convey a true sense of what is going on in the real world markets. But their modern US FMV's are another story entirely and I know because I sell a lot of US Moderns to fund my own collecting.

For example, NGC lists an FMV of $90 for a 1979-S Type 2 Anthony Dollar in PF 69 Ultra Cameo. But they just do not sell for that anymore. Typically, I see prices between 45-50 dollars on that coin regularly from all sellers who complete sales of those coins. Sellers who list those coins for $90 never sell them until they lower the price to the level I stated above. Check it out in completed listings on Ebay and you'll see what I mean. Even PF 70's only bring about half to two thirds of the listed FMV of $400, the two thirds on a good day to an aggressive buyer.

And that's just one example. I could give many others, but I don't want to make this longer than it needs to be. I think Critter is correct in that post. The FMVs on Fielding's coins are not even close to what those coins will bring in the real world. If a highly recognizable key modern issue doesn't bring FMV prices, what is a large lot of more generic US Moderns going to bring? Mr. Fielding also IS going to have difficulty selling 35 pages of various Modern US coins in one lot, especially for his asking price. He would be better breaking it up. In this instance, I'd say Critter was spot on.

Mark,

Now I have to respectfully disagree with you. I believe that Critter is referring to NGC's listed FMVs and specifically their FMV's on modern US Coins. Regarding classic US, NGC FMV's are realistic and they often convey a true sense of what is going on in the real world markets. But their modern US FMV's are another story entirely and I know because I sell a lot of US Moderns to fund my own collecting.

For example, NGC lists an FMV of $90 for a 1979-S Type 2 Anthony Dollar in PF 69 Ultra Cameo. But they just do not sell for that anymore. Typically, I see prices between 45-50 dollars on that coin regularly from all sellers who complete sales of those coins. Sellers who list those coins for $90 never sell them until they lower the price to the level I stated above. Check it out in completed listings on Ebay and you'll see what I mean. Even PF 70's only bring about half to two thirds of the listed FMV of $400, the two thirds on a good day to an aggressive buyer.

And that's just one example. I could give many others, but I don't want to make this longer than it needs to be. I think Critter is correct in that post. The FMVs on Fielding's coins are not even close to what those coins will bring in the real world. If a highly recognizable key modern issue doesn't bring FMV prices, what is a large lot of more generic US Moderns going to bring? Mr. Fielding also IS going to have difficulty selling 35 pages of various Modern US coins in one lot, especially for his asking price. He would be better breaking it up. In this instance, I'd say Critter was spot on.

Thank you. If he was speaking of NGC's "FMV", then my comments would not apply. I agree that many price guide prices for modern coins are unrealistically high. I also agree about the difficulty of selling the coins in question as a single lot.

Mohawk...You got it exactly how I meant it.

I probably shouldn't have put it out there in such a blanket way without clarification. Don't you just hate it when you know what you mean in your own brain, but it doesn't come out right in words lol.

To Mark and Critter,

I'm glad I was able to clarify for both of you and that I got the message clearly! Just an observation.....isn't it kind of humorous that this sale thread has turned into such a thing? Funny stuff......:)

Well guys you in a way have proving me correct. I have over 2010 coins in the collection that I'm selling, Grading fees alone are well over $30000.00 on these coins so the way I look at it I'm trying to recoup the grading fees and my NGC dues for over 4 years. And make a small profit. I am not in a place that I HAVE to sell this collection to live. I simply have found other interest in things that always go up in value and not down.

So pick at me all you want I have very thick skin. you all seem to think that ebay prices are the bible on coin collecting when I know for a fact that most coin sellers have their friends bid on items to inflate the price and you'll see the same coin for sale from the same seller a month later at a much lower price. I watch ebay myself and see it all the time as a matter of fact my local coin dealer told me to list my coins on ebay and him and his family would bump the price up for me. but being a God fearing MAN I could never do this so ebay is nothing but a joke.

I have most of my coins listed in a custom set called Coins for sale check it out and if your willing to make what I believe to be a reasonable offer email me the coins date mint mart and most importantly its cert # and we'll haggle. but stop putting me and my collection down you will win no points with me nor will I be as willing to come down with someone who has called me a fool you will pay top dollar trust me on this one..

May God Bless and forgive most of you...Mike

WOW....that went from somewhat reasonable, to really preachy and high and mighty VERY quickly. Obviously, your skin isn't as thick as you say. I normally wouldn't get into this with you, but I take offense at your lumping of all Ebay sellers together. I have sold many coins on Ebay since 2008 and I have NEVER used a shill bidder EVER!!! And I never will. I am a honest person in all of my transactions, even if it means I take a loss once in a while. Calling all of us dishonest because of your experience with a few bad sellers is highly unfair.

Also, with US Modern coins and many others, Ebay listings are a useful tool for what those coins currently bring in the real world. Say what you want about it, but Ebay is a huge and powerful market that many numismatists from all over the world use to buy all different kinds of coins every day. I know, these buyers are my customers and they're well informed in the market, I would say.

Also, I think the point that all of us were making is that we don't want the coins you have for sale. We're not saying what we were saying to knock your coins to get you to sell them to us cheaply, which you appear to imply with your post. Our point was that your lot is going to be a tough sell, especially since you're not breaking it up and your asking price is pretty high for what it is that you're trying to sell. Most of what you have up is not in demand stuff. I know. I looked at it so I'd be informed for when you came back on here and said something like you typed up there. I won't be paying top dollar because I don't want what you're selling. I could never sell it, especially if I bought it from you for your asking price.

I don't know why you have to get so preachy and aggressive at people when they do not share your exact opinion or point of view. I've seen you do this kind of thing before on here, and it's pretty sad. Critter, Mark and I were just discussing the real world value of your coins and the likelihood of your selling them. It wasn't meant as some personal attack on you, even though you took it that way. I hate to say this to anyone in this community, but since this type of thing seems to be your M.O. I'm glad you're leaving us.

Coinman,

I'm with you! I'd love to let this go! I just got a little steamed because he essentially insulted the integrity of every Ebay seller and the intelligence of all our customers. I hate to get involved with stuff like this and I usually don't, but this time I felt I had to. All that said, I'd love nothing more than for this to be the end of the whole mess!!

Mohawk, If you or any of the other ppl who have posted on this thread are not interested in my coins, Why have you all taken the time to post here? simply read the post decide your not interested and move on...

Because we were trying to help you - with respect to your apparent lack of knowledge of realistic market values and the difficulty of selling a large group of coins like yours as a single lot.

Mohawk, If you or any of the other ppl who have posted on this thread are not interested in my coins, Why have you all taken the time to post here? simply read the post decide your not interested and move on...

Because we were trying to help you - with respect to your apparent lack of knowledge of realistic market values and the difficulty of selling a large group of coins like yours as a single lot.

Mike,

Up till your latest post this was turning into an interesting read. You were selling a very large group of astronomical size (mostly low grades) inclusive to anyone that had too much money to spend. Moderns are fun to sell and in fact sell every day of the year.

Mark, Mohawk, Brandon, Critter and others that buy and sell every day on e-bay and auctions were simply having a nice conversation on selling such as you were offering. No accusations were made towards you intentionally but you in turn now have made your own towards the guys that are politely helping you.

Personally, I would be wary of your local coin dealer friend that offered a shill bid help on your selling coins. "He and his family" as you stated are looking to get them for highest "LOW" bid which many times proves to be very low cost as you list too many coins to a bidding frenzy at the wrong time or day. You probably should stay clear from auctions of your coins all together and list them at buy now or best offer coins.

You might in fact do very well with starting up your own e-bay site. I did see a couple listings where bulk collections were listed at $17.50 a coin that had over 1000 coins sold. That only takes one picture to list and you pick the coin they get. I would not buy such a coin unseen but seems that they are still selling that way. The higher value coins say above $40 NGC value guide (NOT to be construed as FMV) or so can be listed separately as buy now coins. Try it!!

Enjoy Selling!! (thumbs u

Well guys you in a way have proving me correct. I have over 2010 coins in the collection that I'm selling, Grading fees alone are well over $30000.00 on these coins so the way I look at it I'm trying to recoup the grading fees and my NGC dues for over 4 years. And make a small profit. I am not in a place that I HAVE to sell this collection to live. I simply have found other interest in things that always go up in value and not down.

So pick at me all you want I have very thick skin. you all seem to think that ebay prices are the bible on coin collecting when I know for a fact that most coin sellers have their friends bid on items to inflate the price and you'll see the same coin for sale from the same seller a month later at a much lower price. I watch ebay myself and see it all the time as a matter of fact my local coin dealer told me to list my coins on ebay and him and his family would bump the price up for me. but being a God fearing MAN I could never do this so ebay is nothing but a joke.

I have most of my coins listed in a custom set called Coins for sale check it out and if your willing to make what I believe to be a reasonable offer email me the coins date mint mart and most importantly its cert # and we'll haggle. but stop putting me and my collection down you will win no points with me nor will I be as willing to come down with someone who has called me a fool you will pay top dollar trust me on this one..

May God Bless and forgive most of you...Mike

If your ebay theory were correct, that would only mean your collection is worth even less than ebay prices.

This thread is OT now and moderators should delete all posts except original OP posts.

Anyway, this thread is good reminder for me, that I better have twenty $1000 coins in my collection, than 1000 $20 dollars coins - much easier to sell if I wanted to sell.