• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay forcing a refund

32 posts in this topic

I listed a BU roll of 2004 D Wisconsin state quarters. I purchased the roll directly from a seller on ebay for 70ish dollars looking for the error varieties. I personally had no luck. I had this item sent in the mint packaging and I knew what I was getting....

After opening my roll and not finding any of the errors, I said lets list this BU uncirculated roll on ebay and sold it for 16 dollars. The roll I used was a standard bank issue quarter roll (not the unopened mint roll I received the original product in). I included 3 pictures from all different angles, said this was a BU roll etc.

The buyer claims that my listing is not uncirculated because I opened the roll and "cherry picked" its contents (unfortunately there was no error in my roll). I listed no return on my listing because the buyer would be handling these coins and I do not know what condition they would be stored or examined etc. He wanted to return them, I said no. I contacted ebay and ebay said yes because the buyer protection for the sale covers him. so they are now coming back to me, the money is going to be refunded to him....

WHAT THE HECK!!!! What can I do???? its 18 dollars, so the money matters not, its the principle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261978555447?ssPageName=STRK:MEREX:IT

Can you show us a link to your listing?

Mark,

Based on the userID (here and ebay), the content, and the price realized, I am going to go out on a limb and say this is likely it ;)

Ebay Link

Very clear and concise and not misleading (roll isn't stated as an unopened bank wrapped nor does it even look like someone tried to make it look unopened)

Buyer is unreasonable, imho.

Can you show us a link to your listing?

Mark,

Based on the userID (here and ebay), the content, and the price realized, I am going to go out on a limb and say this is likely it ;)

Ebay Link

Very clear and concise and not misleading (roll isn't stated as an unopened bank wrapped nor does it even look like someone tried to make it look unopened)

Buyer is unreasonable, imho.

Thanks Ron.

yeah that was/is it. I thought my link would work under the original post....

It did - I had missed it.

In looking at your listing, I think it's unfair that you were forced to cancel the transaction, but Ebay has a history of favoring buyers over sellers, even if/when they shouldn't.

I listed a BU roll of 2004 D Wisconsin state quarters. I purchased the roll directly from a seller on ebay for 70ish dollars looking for the error varieties. I personally had no luck. I had this item sent in the mint packaging and I knew what I was getting....

After opening my roll and not finding any of the errors, I said lets list this BU uncirculated roll on ebay and sold it for 16 dollars. The roll I used was a standard bank issue quarter roll (not the unopened mint roll I received the original product in). I included 3 pictures from all different angles, said this was a BU roll etc.

The buyer claims that my listing is not uncirculated because I opened the roll and "cherry picked" its contents (unfortunately there was no error in my roll). I listed no return on my listing because the buyer would be handling these coins and I do not know what condition they would be stored or examined etc. He wanted to return them, I said no. I contacted ebay and ebay said yes because the buyer protection for the sale covers him. so they are now coming back to me, the money is going to be refunded to him....

WHAT THE HECK!!!! What can I do???? its 18 dollars, so the money matters not, its the principle

I understand the principle.

However, the buyer is not completely unreasonable. It is stated that it is a brilliant uncirculated roll. The pictures are clear, that one end is crimped, and one end is a fold over, and the elongated photo states the manufacture roll type.

The buyer may not be experienced in the nuances of language in such a venue, and might have been buying it as a gift for somebody, or himself, just starting out as a collector. It may be he received the roll, and someone with knowledge informed him it is not an OBW Roll. I think the average collector would agree that such a roll was certainly not original and not searched and not uncirculated ( I really never liked that word), and brilliant is in the eye of the beholder, within the meaning of numismatic language (and collector language).

After all, you did open the roll. You did search it. You received it in the Original Mint packaging.

Would it have been helpful to have been a bit more open, and state that the Roll was opened, or searched for varieties, or re-rolled, or something that would indicate that it was not, in fact, uncirculated? After all, you did handle the coins, in your search.

You may not have intended to be misleading, But clarity was lacking, in that a young buyer without the level of knowledge you posses, may have thought the roll was untouched, if you will, for lack of a better definition.

Would you have offered such a Roll at a gathering of knowledgeable collectors, with the same description and pictures?

I would think the principle is, that clarity and openness serves the buyer and the seller, and enhances the venue doing the selling. You did search the roll. You did not state this. You did re-package the roll. You did not state this. It certainly became a circulated roll the moment you removed the coins from the original packaging and searched the coins.

However, the buyer is not completely unreasonable. It is stated that it is a brilliant uncirculated roll. The pictures are clear, that one end is crimped, and one end is a fold over, and the elongated photo states the manufacture roll type.

The buyer may not be experienced in the nuances of language in such a venue, and might have been buying it as a gift for somebody, or himself, just starting out as a collector. It may be he received the roll, and someone with knowledge informed him it is not an OBW Roll. I think the average collector would agree that such a roll was certainly not original and not searched and not uncirculated ( I really never liked that word), and brilliant is in the eye of the beholder, within the meaning of numismatic language (and collector language).

After all, you did open the roll. You did search it. You received it in the Original Mint packaging.

Would it have been helpful to have been a bit more open, and state that the Roll was opened, or searched for varieties, or re-rolled, or something that would indicate that it was not, in fact, uncirculated? After all, you did handle the coins, in your search.

You may not have intended to be misleading, But clarity was lacking, in that a young buyer without the level of knowledge you posses, may have thought the roll was untouched, if you will, for lack of a better definition.

Would you have offered such a Roll at a gathering of knowledgeable collectors, with the same description and pictures?

I would think the principle is, that clarity and openness serves the buyer and the seller, and enhances the venue doing the selling. You did search the roll. You did not state this. You did re-package the roll. You did not state this. It certainly became a circulated roll the moment you removed the coins from the original packaging and searched the coins.

John, I agree with most of what you posted above.

However, I don't think that removing the coins from the roll, looking through them and and re-rolling them necessarily caused them to be other than "brilliant uncirculated". If treated carefully, the coins could very well have been in the same condition as they were before the roll was searched.

That said, disclosure of the type you advocate might have resulted in a satisfied buyer.

It may be he received the roll, and someone with knowledge informed him it is not an OBW Roll.

This roll was not advertised as an OBW roll. I don't see anything that says the item is anything other than what was represented.

Certainly looking through a roll doesn't change the fact that it is still an uncirculated roll. If I buy a roll of BU 1882 P Morgans would I ever believe that it has never been looked at ?

I think ebay is out of line here.

Paul

It may be he received the roll, and someone with knowledge informed him it is not an OBW Roll.

This roll was not advertised as an OBW roll. I don't see anything that says the item is anything other than what was represented.

Certainly looking through a roll doesn't change the fact that it is still an uncirculated roll. If I buy a roll of BU 1882 P Morgans would I ever believe that it has never been looked at ?

I think ebay is out of line here.

Paul

We simply disagree. It is probably my fault, for not being clear in my comments and causing you to misinterpret my opinion.

John, I agree with most of what you posted above.

However, I don't think that removing the coins from the roll, looking through them and and re-rolling them necessarily caused them to be other than "brilliant uncirculated". If treated carefully, the coins could very well have been in the same condition as they were before the roll was searched.

That said, disclosure of the type you advocate might have resulted in a satisfied buyer.

Acknowledged, Mark, and Good Morning. Not necessarily, of course. It is the "ifs" that cause misunderstandings. Finite statement of condition is subjective given the circumstances. I think we concur as to intent. I like logic.

It might be best to just make the guy happy. He would probably give you a neg. if he does not get a refund.

(thumbs u +1

Isn't worth the hassle with respect to the money, give him his money back and put him on your cant bid list for all your future auctions.

It might be best to just make the guy happy. He would probably give you a neg. if he does not get a refund.

(thumbs u +1

Isn't worth the hassle with respect to the money, give him his money back and put him on your cant bid list for all your future auctions.

From what the OP wrote, he has no choice in the matter, anyway.

(thumbs u +1

I saw that, I guess my point was that the amount of money that would have to be refunded is not worth the effort to escalate the thing and end up with a negative feedback and still have to refund the money.

I once sold a coin on ebay with no returns and described the raw bullion coin as "no issues". When the buyer received it he claimed it had a scratch across the obverse of the coin. The coin I sent did not have any scratches on it. The one he sent back to me had a scratch across the face of the Queen. Not a hairline, a scratch, so I am guessing he switched it out with one he had. I refunded the money and put him on my banned list. Learned a very valuable lesson.....don't sell raw coins on ebay, unless you are willing to deal with dishonest people from time to time. There always seem to be someone who is more than willing to exploit others for personal gains.

Everything I sell on ebay I offer returns on, the last thing I would want is someone who feels like they are forced to keep something they don't want. Generally the problem transactions are a lot more likely under $100 than over it on ebay.

(thumbs u +1

I saw that, I guess my point was that the amount of money that would have to be refunded is not worth the effort to escalate the thing and end up with a negative feedback and still have to refund the money.

I once sold a coin on ebay with no returns and described the raw bullion coin as "no issues". When the buyer received it he claimed it had a scratch across the obverse of the coin. The coin I sent did not have any scratches on it. The one he sent back to me had a scratch across the face of the Queen. Not a hairline, a scratch, so I am guessing he switched it out with one he had. I refunded the money and put him on my banned list. Learned a very valuable lesson.....don't sell raw coins on ebay, unless you are willing to deal with dishonest people from time to time. There always seem to be someone who is more than willing to exploit others for personal gains.

Sounds like you are sparing yourself potential problems and giving yourself that all-important peace of mind.

Well the OP has now learned something that we "oldtimers" have known for some time. "No returns" has no meaning in an ebay auction, the buyer can always do a return.

Looks to me like you almost got what you wanted.

Someone to scan the listing then get stuck paying you back some lost funds. Not saying the buyer shouldn't be more thorough, but you should have just taken them to the bank.

It certainly became a circulated roll the moment you removed the coins from the original packaging and searched the coins.

while I disagree with some of your other opinions too regarding the circumstances of this post, I want to point out only that your assertion that simply opening a mint roll of coins somehow makes the coins within 'circulated' is silly on it's face. That means that every coin ever handled is circulated, and we all know that that is impossible, or there would be no MS coins in slabs, would there? In my fifty years in this hobby, I have never seen that standard argued until recently, but it really can't be argued or we'll have to recall fifty million 'uncirculated' coins in professionally graded slabs. Things are what they are, and those quarters were what he advertised. Ebay's own rules stat that you must ask pertinent questions. Did the biyer ask the questions that you say the seller was wrong for not stating? Any logical person would ask if it was searched for errors if that is what the buyer's goals were. Any logical person would have to assume that the coins were repackaged from whatever form they orginated from. Ebay got it wrong, that is clear, and it is also clear that some people have too much time and money to waste- I would have given the roll away before I returned it and cost the seller all that expense. Shame on him...

It certainly became a circulated roll the moment you removed the coins from the original packaging and searched the coins.

while I disagree with some of your other opinions too regarding the circumstances of this post, I want to point out only that your assertion that simply opening a mint roll of coins somehow makes the coins within 'circulated' is silly on it's face. That means that every coin ever handled is circulated, and we all know that that is impossible, or there would be no MS coins in slabs, would there? In my fifty years in this hobby, I have never seen that standard argued until recently, but it really can't be argued or we'll have to recall fifty million 'uncirculated' coins in professionally graded slabs. Things are what they are, and those quarters were what he advertised. Ebay's own rules stat that you must ask pertinent questions. Did the biyer ask the questions that you say the seller was wrong for not stating? Any logical person would ask if it was searched for errors if that is what the buyer's goals were. Any logical person would have to assume that the coins were repackaged from whatever form they orginated from. Ebay got it wrong, that is clear, and it is also clear that some people have too much time and money to waste- I would have given the roll away before I returned it and cost the seller all that expense. Shame on him...

A great many coins have been (technically) circulated, but understandably, still receive MS grades, based on their appearance. Extremely minor circulation doesn't necessarily show to the extent that would preclude a high MS grade.

Everything I sell on ebay I offer returns on, the last thing I would want is someone who feels like they are forced to keep something they don't want. Generally the problem transactions are a lot more likely under $100 than over it on ebay.

as a power seller on ebay I agree- I rarely have a problem on a $10k gold ingot or $5k rare coin, even if raw, but have had problems on the low end even though when I sell low priced coins, I tend to do so at such attractive prices for the quality that I wouldn't expect a problem, but as another replier said in this thread- they just don't have the experience to know what they have in front of them or the value they got. And to show how fickle buyers are, although we don;t get returns very often, we have gotten back as many nice slabs as raw coins. Still we keep trying try to do the impossible and please everyone...

A great many coins have been (technically) circulated, but understandably, still receive MS grades, based on their appearance. Extremely minor circulation doesn't necessarily show to the extent that would preclude a high MS grade.

I agree Mark, my point exactly. I've actually tested that theory Mark- put a known BU coin in a pocket with some small change and leave it in that pant pocket for a while, checking daily to see if there is wear yet. Circulation wear doesn't show on a cupronickel coin for quite a while simply because there are hardening agents added to the alloy to make our coins last a lot longer. I tried this with BU silver coins also, they show visible signs of 'circulation' within a day, while the cupronickel coins took as much as a week or more of actual 'circulation' before it was obvious. Needless to say, the results were interesting and show why our clad coinage doesn't wear much over the years.

we are power sellers on ebay and have had many horrible experiences with them over the years. We recently endured a forced return from a *dealer*, of all people, who opened our sealed holder and returned it in violation of our clearly stated policy. Some of the utter braindead phone reps at ebay, who are college educated but still can't reason their way out of a wet paper bag with holes in it, still forced us to refund AND we took a hit that almost lost us our preferred seller status because the jerk turned around and gave us a negative and low star ratings to mar our otherwise perfect feedback and five solid stars. If there was a better place to go, we'd have left ebay just for the disgrace that ebay has become- it is full of problems and errors in the system code, yet they call sellers 'defective' if a buyer claims something even if it isn't true. What an inane feedback system, the patients are running the assylum. Anyway, the negative disappeared so ebay must have actually investigated like they promised, but it took them months and we looked bad and lost sales while it was there. Paypal policies are even worse- read the terms- sellers are obligated 180 days out! We're searching for a better alternative, and if we can't find one, we'll probably just leave ebay altogether. We were close when we almost lost preferred seller status and the hefty 20% off fees that it provides. Next hit is our last. Good luck to you sir...

I offer a no-questions-asked return policy on every item I sell. I get very few returns, but when they happen, it is typically an example where the buyer failed to read the description or examine all of my high-resolution photos.

On this listing, it is possible that the buyer simply didn't expect to get a searched roll and never bothered to check out your complete lsiting before dropping the $16.

I would suggest eating the tiny loss and moving on with you life. People make mistakes, and while it is unfair to you in this case and probably very irritating, it is a pittance of money and not really worth the grief.

yeah, this is a tiny loss. at most 7 dollars if I just spend the quarters. the thing that irritating is 5 minutes after I send the "please have Ebay step in" I get an email that states, "after a thorough investigation we have sided with the buyer." I would prefer to lose all 17 dollars as long as the buyer did not get anything.

the roll he expected, the roll from the mint unopened, is a 60-70 dollar roll on ebay. How could he not have expected to be getting something different? I have 25 auctions on ebay right now and I think they all have returns allowed.

Incidentally, I have not yet received the roll back and no refund provided, although I have not checked my paypal account.

yeah that was/is it. I thought my link would work under the original post....

It did - I had missed it.

In looking at your listing, I think it's unfair that you were forced to cancel the transaction, but Ebay has a history of favoring buyers over sellers, even if/when they shouldn't.

eBay looks at buying and selling in a different light than most coin dealers and collectors.

This means that they simply do not understand certain issues with selling coins.

IMO, the roll was BU except that the buyer was expecting to find perhaps some extra leaf coins or maybe some clips or who knows what. When nothing was found, the buyer used eBays generic return system to get his/her money back.

I had one fellow bid and buy a slabbed MS69 Silver Eagle that wanted to return it because he didn't agree with PCGS's grade. He had the nerve to ask if I had any others that I would be willing to pay all the costs associated with shipping the items to and from him for his approval. eBay should not be a "Buy on Approval" venue but, it is their system and their rules.

Which gives us as sellers the option of never having to deal with these buyers in the future via the "Blocking" function of eBay.

I offer a no-questions-asked return policy on every item I sell. I get very few returns, but when they happen, it is typically an example where the buyer failed to read the description or examine all of my high-resolution photos.

On this listing, it is possible that the buyer simply didn't expect to get a searched roll and never bothered to check out your complete lsiting before dropping the $16.

I would suggest eating the tiny loss and moving on with you life. People make mistakes, and while it is unfair to you in this case and probably very irritating, it is a pittance of money and not really worth the grief.

The OP is being forced into "eating the loss" and he'll have to pay the buyers return shipping costs as well.

It's a dog eat dog world and you're either the dog or you're the dog.