• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registered mail woes? Coins vacationing in Florida!

28 posts in this topic

NGC mailed my submissions back on 7/9. The last 2 I've done were received in a matter of days.

Both packages arrived in Jacksonville FL at 1:08 AM on 7/11/15 and have not moved since.

The most discouraging part is this: "Estimated Arrival:Not Available"

Is anybody else currently dealing with this?

I have had many similar things happen with registered mail, I'm a couple thousand miles away from NGC, and sometimes RM has taken 3 days other times it has taken 12-14 days. Its crazy. The worst part is "because it's registered" they don't scan/update in the system so it looks as if they are sitting somewhere for days. Even thought usually aren't. The last batch from NGC was 2 orders sent right around the 4th of July. pkg 1 was sent 2 business days before pkg 2. I recieved the second package first, it arrived 2 days before pkg 1 that was sent two days earlier from the same place. You just never really know with registered mail.

So long as your coins come back rested, but not tanned, you're OK.

I had a nice frosty white 64+DMPL in that batch, I hope to heck she stayed out of the sun or there's bound to be freckles on it now.

If you want to know exactly where they are at you can call the Jacksonville post office, and they will be able to tell you where they are?

I live in California and it always takes a week to get them...

I have had many similar things happen with registered mail, I'm a couple thousand miles away from NGC, and sometimes RM has taken 3 days other times it has taken 12-14 days. Its crazy. The worst part is "because it's registered" they don't scan/update in the system so it looks as if they are sitting somewhere for days. Even thought usually aren't. The last batch from NGC was 2 orders sent right around the 4th of July. pkg 1 was sent 2 business days before pkg 2. I recieved the second package first, it arrived 2 days before pkg 1 that was sent two days earlier from the same place. You just never really know with registered mail.

Sometime Registered Mail does sit in the same place for days, waiting for the right signature, before it can move to the next stop. The shipping time can be measured in days, weeks, or months, depending on the circumstances.

Also, estimated times of arrival are not valid once Registered Mail is added to your shipment. The estimate is based only on the basic postage rate, such as First Class or Priority, when in fact Registered Mail does not follow those turnarounds.

So long as your coins come back rested, but not tanned, you're OK.

I had a nice frosty white 64+DMPL in that batch, I hope to heck she stayed out of the sun or there's bound to be freckles on it now.

:signfunny:

You're cracking me up! lol

But seriously, registered mail is SAFE but it is SLOW. When I upgraded and replaced one of the most expensive coins in my set; I sent it cross-country registered mail to a buyer. It took 10 or 12 days, if I remember correctly, and no daily updates. I was a nervous wreck by the time it finally arrived but it DID arrive.

That's good to know. The tracking still says it is in Florida so I can only assume it is lobster red and early signs of melanoma are starting to appear.

That's good to know. The tracking still says it is in Florida so I can only assume it is lobster red and early signs of melanoma are starting to appear.

If it still shows Jacksonville, the package could be sitting on a shoal just offshore with a pile of Spanish gold.

Chris

Over the past two months my wife shipped out some 20 coins all of which went registered.

Most arrived without a mishap.

One was shipped to Iowa, but was actually delivered to Kansas as per the tracking receipt.

Two days later and after a fair amount of communication the true recipient in Iowa received his package..

A second coin was shipped from NYC to LA. The coin was received in LA on the 10th of july and then nothing.....

The buyer as well as my wife spent the better part of the week tracking the coin down and the PO finally found the coin to be tied up in customs?

How did the coin which was shipped from NY to LA find it's way to customs?

Was registered mail always like this?

Was registered mail always like this?

The Postal Service has always been like that, it has nothing to do with the fact it's registered.

I had a registered package take 4 months to travel 12 miles.

I mailed from one FPO/APO to another, and because it was FPO the clerks didn't understand how to look for it, and there wasn't a contact for the facility where the box was resting.

I finally filed a fraud complaint and the box magically started moving again. I'm pretty sure whoever had responsibility for it stuck it in a safe right before transferring, and a new person never bothered going through old stuff.

The box had goodies I didn't want to carry on my flights personally, and I had no interest in trusting to the military movers overseas. Things like photos, my son's very beloved-but-outgrown stuffed bear, and a few coins. Two other boxes with MUCH more value did make it in a timely fashion.

Nowadays I'd give it 2 weeks before making a ruckus...but my local PO is full of nice, friendly and helpful clerks, so I know I'd get assistance.

The USPS won't take a claim report on Registered until after 30 days. I think most other categories you can file a claim after two weeks. They know it's slow.

A couple years ago I sent a batch of junk silver to Coinman in Texas. It took almost 3 weeks and I wound up calling the P.O. near his home where the package was going in circles. I had to give those people the actual directions to his address to get it delivered. If you don't believe this one just ask Coinman. I know at first he thought I was ripping him off because this was the first deal he and I had with each other. After 3 weeks the package finally got there

Hopefully, it shows up at your doorstep well-rested, with a nice tan and a drink in it's hand with some good stories to tell! (thumbs u lol

Tracking still has not changed. Worth a call to that post office at this point?? OR just patiently wait out the 2 weeks/1 month and then freak out?

Wow, Im surprised you really still do not have it. What part of the country are you in relative to FL? I think if I were you, I would probably not be panicking yet, but I think I would definitely call and see if you can track it down. If I remember right, I have tried doing that a couple times on Registered mail, it didn't go well, nobody could tell me anything. Which from what I understand, is ironically- "because its registered".

Good luck.

Wow, Im surprised you really still do not have it. What part of the country are you in relative to FL? I think if I were you, I would probably not be panicking yet, but I think I would definitely call and see if you can track it down. If I remember right, I have tried doing that a couple times on Registered mail, it didn't go well, nobody could tell me anything. Which from what I understand, is ironically- "because its registered".

Good luck.

I am in Oregon. In light of that, I realize now submitting coins to PCGS may make a lot more sense due to proximity. (not a knock on NGC)

The last 2 I've done I had in 3 or 4 days, they left on a plane to portland and it was done fast.

I know exactly what you mean about using PCGS, I am in Salt Lake City so sometimes I think I should just send my coins to PCGS instead but I guess at the end of the day I just prefer NGC more, cause that's where I keep submitting. For whatever its worth, I've had very similar situations as what you are describing with Registered packages coming from NGC. So I think u shouldn't panic yet. I do wish NGC would offer a different option to ship besides registered. I know they do it for insurance purposes, but I have my own insurance with "ship and insure" that I can insure with when they are leaving NGC/PCGS.

Good Luck

All ends well.

The registered shipment I made to LA took about 2 weeks to arrive. 1 week to get to LA, 1 additional week for the buyer to receive the parcel. Maybe a few phone calls did the trick? Maybe

the package would have arrived without a push?

I could have shipped the package by private carrier but I have been led to believe that without collectible insurance coins weren't covered for a lost parcel.

The P.O. registered at times has proved to be a hassle but since I insured the contents I never really was too concerned.

I finally received an update that the coins are in Seattle. Why they didn't get sent to Portland is anyone's guess but at least they are in the same time zone now, assuredly jet lagged if not a bit hungover from an extended stay in Florida. Although given the 10 day travel time they may have been sent via tractor, which would save the jet lag. (nice touch, USPS!)

Yep...They use Die Schweizerische Post's new "YodelPost" where it puts the package right in your alpenhorn, then flys off to heard the cows.