• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need opinions on this one....

15 posts in this topic

Been looking for a well struck 12S for some time to complete my collection. Can I have some other thoughts on this nickel? Seller's pictures. PCGS MS64 CAC stickered, but I have a couple of concerns.

33vmfj4.jpg

oj1oqg.jpg

Looks to be a well-struck, overall MS-64 coin but with a ding on the mint mark. Since the mint mark is the main attraction of the coin, that might be a problem down the road.

What were YOUR concerns?

It has been my understanding that the 1912-S and 1912-D nickels were washed with a solution that caused the Mint State pieces to tone with a brownish color. Most all of the original surface pieces that I have seen had this. It not what I would call "attractive,' but if you want a piece that has not been treated, it's what you can expect to get. One thing to remember is the "white" does not seem to be an original color for these coins.

It might be an issue with the photography, but this piece looks dull and washed out with a limited amount of mint luster. That lead me to say that it has been treated.

If you are happy with this look, then by all means buy it. If you want an original surface piece, you might consider looking at some of the toned examples. Not all of them are unattractive.

If you do buy it, I'd feel safer if it were in an older slab. If it's in a new slab, it might not be stable and could turn to a different, darker color. If the slab is old the coin probably won't change if it gets proper storeage.

I was under the impression that the mint marks on these were odd looking with metal pushed in the wrong places. CptnHenway and Bill Jones forgot more than I'll ever know so I defer to their input.

Looks to be a well-struck, overall MS-64 coin but with a ding on the mint mark. Since the mint mark is the main attraction of the coin, that might be a problem down the road.

Agree that coin looks to have a decent strike but the mintmark looks to be mal-formed and been dinged. That would likely BOTHER me.

It might be an issue with the photography, but this piece looks dull and washed out with a limited amount of mint luster. That lead me to say that it has been treated.

If you are happy with this look, then by all means buy it. If you want an original surface piece, you might consider looking at some of the toned examples. Not all of them are unattractive.

Could be diffused lighting used in the photography. I bought a Walker like that once that looked very dull in the images but turned out to be a luster-bomb. If the Nickel looks like that in hand, though----I wouldn't like it and I'd go with a more lustrous and/or a toned piece.

One of my concerns was the dipping. While not necessarily a deal breaker I would prefer one with a touch of more originality. It didn't bother either PCGS or CAC. My goal was a MS64 for this one, so the minor dings would be expected.

The biggest concern I have is what I wonder might be the remnants of a fingerprint on the cheek, which might have been the reason for the dip. It could be my imagination and it could be pretty small given the relative size of the photos. Can anyone else see what Im talking about?

The coin is in a newer holder too.

The coin is far from irreplaceable and you have one or more concerns about it, so pass. ;)

I agree. If you have doubts now of what you can see, the bright pics may be hiding a little more with a 64 grade.

There are hundreds of 1912-S and 1912-D nickels in various uncirculated grades floating around. Be patient and get what your really want, not what is expedient.

I've never heard the D & S rinse story. What're the origin and substantiation?

The pics look overexposed to me so it's tough to say very much about the true color and luster. As it is CAC'd and as gneral rule CAC does not sticker washed out dull and lifeless coins I do not think that will be an issue. If the seller has a decent return policy I would be inclined to take it for a test drive and see what it looks like in hand.

I know a dealer who has one in one of the early NGC MS60 holders for around $1300, toning is a little unattractive, he says it needs conservation and would upgrade significantly. If I have heard that line I have heard it dozens of times.

I agree with those saying that it is difficult to judge from the photographs. CAC will usually not sticker a washed out coin, leading me to believe that the coin looks better in hand. Why not call CAC (explain the situation) and ask what its current bid level is for these coins? If you can get the coin at that price (I have had surprising success in the past), if you hate it, you can sell it to CAC and the whole thing will be a wash.

Edited: For those mentioning the mint mark, hit notwithstanding, I still think the coin is deserving of a MS64 grade.

There are hundreds of 1912-S and 1912-D nickels in various uncirculated grades floating around. Be patient and get what your really want, not what is expedient.

I've never heard the D & S rinse story. What're the origin and substantiation?

I've heard this story since the late 1980s, and over that time I've looked at a fair number 1912 D and S nickels in Mint State. All but one or two that had an original look to them were darkly toned. If you check out the "Coin Facts" pagea for these coins, you will see more of the same. The one or two looked like they were pieces that had been worked on that "got luckey." In other words I thought that they had "been done," but they were not screaming that "I have 'been done.'"

Years ago I knew a dealer who was an expert in modern coinage. He told me that is why it's hard to find a 1914-D Lincoln cent with full orginal red, and when you do it will be more of brick red color than the usual red, if the coin has original surfaces.

If you are looking for an orginal surface, Mint State, "white" Liberty Nickel from the Philadelphia Mint, it's easy to find one. If you are looking for a D or S mint coin, it's very hard to do.