• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1923 or 1928 Peace Dollar you decide (PICS added result in)

29 posts in this topic

Heres a peace dollar I bought in a lot over a week ago i Don't have it in hand yet but only paid a small amount for everything in lot. about the silver melt value.

I bought it for the world coins but notices the peace dollar looks like a 28. ive heard 1 23 or 28 any idea from the expects on this series.

the first picture is zoomed in on my computer screen. Bought from UK.

chris

1928-.jpg

1928.jpg

optical dillusion looks like 1923

BUT SINCE I AM USUALLY WRONG WITH UNCLEAR, ANGLED PHOTOS

I HOPE IT TURNS OUT TO BE 1928, IF SO GOOD FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please let us know when you get the coins in hand

optical dillusion looks like 1923

BUT SINCE I AM USUALLY WRONG WITH UNCLEAR, ANGLED PHOTOS

I HOPE IT TURNS OUT TO BE 1928, IF SO GOOD FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please let us know when you get the coins in hand

It looks like a '28 to me, but the question remains....."Does it have a mintmark?"

Chris

I saw that exact listing a few days back and I thought then, and still do, that it was/is a 1928 but the staged photo scene with the lone 28 on top and all that other 'junk' underneath (to a person uneducated in world coins) had me walk on by.

Hopefully for you it is a 28 and in a well preserved state. ;)

Similarly, I have a 1923 (or a 1928) Peace Dollar that I pull out every once in a while and stare at. After countless times looking at this particular coin, I have finally convinced myself that it is clearly a 1923 (or a 1928).

I couldn't tell with any real certainty until the rotated image several posts down. But what I did KNOW for sure was that mostly everyone would vote 23 without giving it much thought, because everyone on coin forums is negative first unless they are kissing some big collectors a&&. I think its clearly a 28. Id say 75% certainty since the pic could be shopped. There's a slight shadow at the closing of loops making it look like a gap, but the cross line is definitely closed as an 8 would be. Question is is it a 28 p or s, so may not still be that much of a score.

It will be interesting to learn what date was on the dollar when the buyer receives it.

It is a 23 photoshoped to look like a 28 . Look at the top circle in the date – it should be smaller than the bottom one. This could also be a counterfeit 1928 .

looks like 1923 to me - small ball on bottom loop

the entire coin looks odd to me, and would not be totally surprised if sticks to magnet

I should have the coin in hand sometime this week and ill update with better pictures.

and anything else that might be of interested from the US in that lot.

chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The broad rim identifies it as a 1923. As another responder noted, 1928 dollars have slim, chamfered rims. This feature seems to have come about as a means of channeling more metal into the central part of the dies to strike up more fully.

The broad rim identifies it as a 1923. As another responder noted, 1928 dollars have slim, chamfered rims. This feature seems to have come about as a means of channeling more metal into the central part of the dies to strike up more fully.

Interesting! Thanks, David.

Chris

Well I got the coin in hand it is a 1923. No trick photography even in hand if you don't look really close it looks like a 1928 as the ends of the 3 curve up

chris.

Well that may not have been what you were hoping for but maybe there is even a greater treasure find in that box.

Keep us posted.

actually yes I found a lot of nice darkside coins in there.

BU 1920 Farthing, silver boliva 1854 4s

silver UK 1928 florin

Proof 2002 Canada 50Cent

Key date 1915b Swiss 10 Rappen in great shape

very well worth what I spent on it.

Good, good... sounds like that made up for the temporary disappointment + you got .78 oz of silver in that 1923 Peace Dollar. That's $12.00 + right there. ;)