• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan - Opinions?

16 posts in this topic

I agree. If those pictures are not hiding anything then that is a nearly perfect Morgan.

Common date but none the less an outstanding example of a non PL.

I am willing to go twice current melt plus 10%.

Deal? :grin:

MS67

Coin appears to be dripping with luster. Very few marks. Turned in the right light I think that mark on the neck appears to be worse than it really is. I feel it's a 67, 66+ at worst.

The coin appears to merit a very high grade (as high as MS67) provided that the images are not hiding things. With that said, I'm not sure if it is the lighting or your imaging technique, but the luster looks interesting for an 1881-S. Typically these come with brilliant and flashy luster as opposed to satin luster that is commonly seen on the New Orleans and Philadelphia pieces of the era. Put another way, I am not sure how reliable the images are but the coin looks unusual even though I cannot find any significant technical faults in the images. I would need more images before offering any opinion.

I agree with kenny. The pics make this coin look satiny which isn't normal. Are these your pics or a sellers that you are looking at. If the pics aren't hiding anything, tnen I would agree with the 67 guesses.

I think there is a bit of over reacting vis a vis "satiny luster". We are looking at photographs offered by the OP. No one can clearly interpret the luster of a coin based on photographs. That's just a reality we all contend with in playing the guessing game.

That being said, based on the clear fields and focal points, strike and "apparent" luster, this coin is IMO clearly MS67. If in hand, if the mint luster is very strong, 67+.

Carl

Nice cheek, Great fields, Superb details in feathers.

MS67 would be my guess based on pics without a light rotation viewing.

Sure worth the time and submission fees for grading. (thumbs u