• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these lines caused by

113 posts in this topic

There is a small disagreement on another forum regarding this type of line.

One person says that die polish lines never criss cross. Both Jason and I supplied photos showing they do criss cross.

His rebuttal was to ask how Jason knew these were caused from die polish.

Does anyone have an alternative cause.

1959LincDiePolish2.jpg

The only problem I have with them being polish lines would be that polish lines should leave a scratch on the die. In the pic (great pic by the way) it appears the scratches are on the coin, incuse instead of raised.

The only problem I have with them being polish lines would be that polish lines should leave a scratch on the die. In the pic (great pic by the way) it appears the scratches are on the coin, incuse instead of raised.

Take my word for it they are raised. To my eyes they look raised in the photo.

Take my word for it they are raised. To my eyes they look raised in the photo.

Then I'm looking at it wrong. To me they appear scratched in. If they are raised, then I'm with the others, polish lines. ;)

there are definitely die polish lines on that cent

a closer in-hand examination would be needed to determine

if there are also any scratches or cleaning lines

Are they all with that kind of color? I'd be interested in owning something like that. Die polish lines and all!

1959MS66RBthumb.jpgBob_1959Linc_PCGSMS66plusRB_2289thumb.jpgBob_1959Linc_PCGSMS66RB_5096thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_8791thumb.jpgRobec_1959TV_MS66RB_6708thumb.jpgRobec_1959TV_MS65RB_6709thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_2537thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS65RB_2538thumb.jpgRobec_1959Linc13TV_MS66RB_637thumb.jpgRobec_1959Linc14TV_MS66RB_636thumb.jpgBob_1959Linc_PCGSMS65RB_9971thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_544thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_545thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS65RB_543thumb.jpgRobec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_542thumb.jpg

Extremely cool.

Was this a roll you picked up at Long Beach ? I saw a similarly toned roll there. I didnt put a glass to them so I dont know if they had polish lines as well.

Amazing! How did you acquire them?

These were on eBay about 2 years ago. The seller had a roll of them. I was able to win 19. Winged Liberty picked up 13 or so. I'm not sure where the others went. I continuously check the sellers store, but there are no more.

I'm thinking that the coin has both die polish lines and die scratch lines. Two different things. The machine that is used to polish dies will leave straight lines in one direction. Lines that cross come from the die being cleaned while still in the press. I may be wrong but that's the way I understand it.

Many folks don't agree on this topic. I'll bet Roger probably knows for sure.

The brain plays tricks on visual references...if you picture the light coming in from the right you see raised bumps,

but once you figure out the light is coming in from the left, you see craters. Same applies to the marks on the surface

of the coin. (color removed and a section magnified, light is coming in from the left)

mooncrater_zps7cf4d160.jpgpolishIIII_zps7502df8e.jpg

One person says that die polish lines never criss cross. Both Jason and I supplied photos showing they do criss cross.

His rebuttal was to ask how Jason knew these were caused from die polish.

Does anyone have an alternative cause.

1959LincDiePolish2.jpg

Bob, I wanted to disagree with him, too, but since I already get into enough disagreements over there, I decided to skip it.

Chris :slapfight:

If you look at the two coins below the lines are exact so this would preclude anything other than mint made from the same die. They are raised and don't cross the devices. I'd call it die polish.

Edit: Yep, just now realized i'm looking at the same coin doh! - So are there 2 or more out of your hoard with the same exact lines?

Robec_1959Linc9_MS.jpg

Robec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_545.jpg

To my eyes they look raised in the photo.

Mine too.

Very cool.

Why cant polish lines cross ? I dont understand that.

And no I have no alternative explanation.

I agree with you. To state that die polish lines can never cross defies common sense.

I remember seeing a roll of these at the Philadelphia show two or three years ago. I believe they were all dated 1955 though, and only one was slabbed. There was some disagreement amongst the community as to whether the toning was natural, and the dealer admitted not knowing one way or the other. For what it's worth, these look prettier to me.

If you look at the two coins below the lines are exact so this would preclude anything other than mint made from the same die. They are raised and don't cross the devices. I'd call it die polish.

Edit: Yep, just now realized i'm looking at the same coin doh! - So are there 2 or more out of your hoard with the same exact lines?

I'm sure there are more but these two have the same obverse lines.

Bob_1959Linc_PCGSMS66plusRB_2289.jpg

Robec_1959LincTV_MS66RB_8791.jpg

Keep in mind that dies can get lines from many ways. Polishing, cleaning from a file card or emery cloth, feed fingers from the press and poor handling are some. I don't know about the coin in question or what was said in the other thread.

Link?

CT Link

Figures. Consider the source of the comments. It isn't the first time that the poster has made ridiculous categorical statements based on his "logic" which is really nothing more than uninformed (or at least deeply misguided) opinion disguised as "fact." I have had arguments with him in the past about die polish on devices, etc., and this is just a greater extension of his misunderstanding of how dies are actually polished. Common sense is at odds with his categorical statement.

Thank you for posting the link!

Check out the die polish lines in these two examples of the Large Hat variety of 1921 Pilgrim. In the Large Hat variety, all examples have the same die polish lines, and they cover most of the obverse field area.

PilgrimLHA6479obv.jpg

PilgrimLHN6508obv.jpg