• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Kennedy 50c sells for $100,000

46 posts in this topic

" 'It's an important coin,' Hendrickson said in defending the $100,000 price the Yadgarov coin garnered. 'It's the first coin sold — the first coin released of the Kennedy gold coins. There could never be more than one being the first.' "

As TR might say: "De Lusional !"

Bet that Yagdarov guy feels pretty dumb right now....

And did you catch that the guy who bought it is a longtime customer from the CoinVault TV show.....

That is one good customer. :facepalm:

imagine having that much money..... are you imagining it? .....

Now, imagine having that much money, -AND- an EGO that is even bigger than how much money you have.... I feel sorry for the poor guy.

And did you catch that the guy who bought it is a longtime customer from the CoinVault TV show.....

I'm not surprised. But, before the article, I didn't know that Silver Towne runs the Coin Vault TV program. I have even less respect for them now. In my opinion, if states like Minnesota want to regulate coin dealers, why not go after companies like this and leave everyone else alone? In my opinion, most of the unscrupulous misrepresentations of value, rarity, and investment claims come from companies like the Coin Vault.

For legal purposes, every thing in this post is meant as opinion and not as fact. I don't want SilverTowne to go Larry Shepherd on me. lol

A two-day turnaround, no less, that's all it took. He must have felt like he's watching his life passing before his eyes.

Maybe, maybe not. After all what else would he have done with it? He wouldn't have had the "pull" to get the "First coin sold" on the label himself. So if he didn't sell it to someone like Silvertowne the best he could have done was a regular ANA label and get around $3K or so.

It is right up there with the $10,000 the Remington Typewriter Company paid for the Columbian Half Dollar. At least that was a business ploy. This is madness.

I am just completely amazed.........

Also, who cares that it was the first sold. I would rather have the first STRUCK.

And if I was Yagdarov------I'd be pissed off.

But at least with the Remington coin it was known to be a PR stunt and there was no expectation that the coin was really worth that. There was no intention to try and promote it and sell it for a profit in the future.

Does this set the world record for the most expensive piece of plastic? Insanity:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/first-gold-kennedy-half-dollar-sold-at-ana-show-resells-for-100000.html

It seems everyone has missed the fact that this coin will be shown on Coin Vault :jokealert: . How can there be any better venue to appreciate the numismatic value of an incredibly unique modern era issue.

I can envision the sales pitch. "Watch the coin as it swings, see the great cameo contrast, note the beautiful plastic, it clearly states that this is the first coin graded PF70. Yes, first, no other coin can come before it. Bow down and pay."

Sad, really sad.

Carl

If I had this:

tn_HundredThousand.jpg

I could buy this:

1793 C-3, B-3 Half Cent, MS63 Brown

$95,175.00

tn_1793-obv.jpgtn_1793-rev.jpg

or perhaps this:

1837 No Stars Half Dime, PR67

$105,750.00 (well, I'd have to come up with 5,700 extra on this one)

tn_1837-obv.jpgtn_1837-rev.jpg

this one is not too bad either:

1842 Small Date, Small Letters Half, MS64

$99,875.00

tn_1842-obv.jpgtn_1842-rev.jpg

OR we could really splurge on some A W E S O M E plastic:

2014-W Gold Half, First Sold, PR70DCAM

$100,000.00

pcgs-kennedy.jpg

--

With my apologies to Eugene H. Gardner; sympathy and disgust to the last

--

If I had this:

I could buy this:

$95,175.00

or perhaps this:

$99,875.00

$100,000.00

--

True, but I can think of even better coins to buy with the money than those three...and they are all pretty good coins.

If I had this:

I could buy this:

$95,175.00

or perhaps this:

$99,875.00

$100,000.00

--

True, but I can think of even better coins to buy with the money than those three...and they are all pretty good coins.

Besides, you could buy them all as the $100K note is worth $1.6 Million today. :)

If I had this:

I could buy this:

$95,175.00

or perhaps this:

$99,875.00

$100,000.00

--

Besides, you could buy them all as the $100K note is worth $1.6 Million today. :)

Indeed! But, I thought this thread was about giving money away ;)

It seems everyone has missed the fact that this coin will be shown on Coin Vault

Will it? After all it has already been sold. On the other hand they might borrow it to show to helps hype the "value" of coins 2,3, 4, 5, and 6. Maybe not as much help for #'s 5 and 6 as they are ONLY PF-69. :)

There is always the possibility that this is a hoax to drum up demand for the other numbered coins that are on the list. Given the conduct of some of the dealers who put their stooges on line to buy the coins, you can't put it past them.

I think it's just a cheap advertisement for SilverTowne and Coin Vault.

Has anyone seen the receipt for $100K? I don't think so coin was sold for that much, but who can prove otherwise?

I just hope the tax authorities will be doing their due diligence making sure all this crazy money being made gets fully taxed, probably not that hard to do with all the publicity.

wow 100k sweet............................

articles about this and the circumstances around the purchase

in the coming weeks on news media will only make the coin hobby and the professional numismatists involved much more endearing to the american public

kudos to silvertown, kevin lipton and coin vault (thumbs u

if i might ask in what large metropolitan area is this coin vault located? as if it is close; i would love to travel to the vault to see the first slabbed 70 kennedy in hand for a look see :shy:

if they allow visitors to the secure area

and might this example be used in business

schools as a course on american entrepreneur-ship hm

Michael, I for one appreciate your positive attitude toward this whole deal. You make valid points, and I agree, with the coverage this will get by the media it will only bring attention and steer folks to the hobby... which is NEVER a bad thing over all.

All that said though, I am genuinely wondering, do you really think you (or anyone else for that matter) could notice a difference between the "first 70" or whatever you said, versus say... the last 70 out of the 25K they minted or whatever??? I truly wanna know, because I think that not even the most trained eye could pick out differences. Not to mention the fact that just because they were the first 70 sold, doesn't mean anything to whatever order they came off the press.... I think this "first release, first coin sold, first minted, early release, etc...." is the biggest crock is shiz that is currently happening in the hobby... what a load of shi!.

Anyways, I am genuinely curious, do you really think you could tell a difference?

after thinking about this you are 100% absolutely correct i could NOT tell the difference and out of the holder yes it is just the same as a kennedy delivered by the mint by mail to someone months down the road