• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another peace dollar toning opinion thread

19 posts in this topic

So Bobby's thread about his toned peace dollar got me thinking that I had a peace dollar with similar toning, I found it and sure enough it looks very much alike. the problem is I cannot photograph it well enough to post for opinions, I will keep trying to photograph it but in the meantime I ran across this peace dollar that I had Shane photograph and offer an opinion on. I just love this coin in hand and I go back and forth on whether it would grade or not. What do you guys think.

Nick

Consignments86158_zps292fa429.jpg

Consignments86160_zpsa97d6764.jpg

i am gong with natural, i have some that have a similar type pattern of toning. peace dollars generally do not tone like morgans or others, they somehow react differently

So Bobby's thread about his toned peace dollar got me thinking that I had a peace dollar with similar toning, I found it and sure enough it looks very much alike. the problem is I cannot photograph it well enough to post for opinions, I will keep trying to photograph it but in the meantime I ran across this peace dollar that I had Shane photograph and offer an opinion on. I just love this coin in hand and I go back and forth on whether it would grade or not. What do you guys think.

Nick

Consignments86158_zps292fa429.jpg

Consignments86160_zpsa97d6764.jpg

It looks like someone brought a crayon and drew all over it. Sorry

Ive seen those blues on Peace $ before. Ive seen those blues on Peace $ slabbed by NGC and PCGS.

Ive just never seen toning like that before on a mint state Peace $. Its a little too splotchy.

Do I think its natural, yes. I would go with cleaned and retoned though. The second one definitely looks cleaned but Im not seeing the cleaning on the first one.

BTW the reverse on the first one looks natural IMHO.

Either way I say its not MA.

NGC gave mine "UNC Details Artificial Toning".

Im not surprised. Thats their default grade on toned Peace $ they dont like.

Can I ask where you bought it from, how much you paid - the history of the coin ect ? Sometimes I think the history of the coin can explain more than a set of eyes in Sarasota FL or Newport Beach CA.

"Im not surprised. Thats their default grade on toned Peace $ they dont like.

Can I ask where you bought it from, how much you paid - the history of the coin ect ? Sometimes I think the history of the coin can explain more than a set of eyes in Sarasota FL or Newport Beach CA."

I purchased the coin from an estate auction (Iowa) on Proxibid (Dec. of last year). The picture was poor but good enough to tell it was Unc and toned. All total, I paid just short of $60 for the coin. As the coin was raw, I sent it to NGC for grading in April of this year.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I was expecting the opinions given. I personally like it and will enjoy it raw. The color is much more subtle then the pictures suggest. And fwiw Shane's opinion was it is secondary toning.

Nick

The color looks blatantly unnatural to me.

There's a new one, BUT (Blatantly Unnatural Toning).

not natural and not appealing

There are two more, NNT (Not Natural Toning), and NAT (Not Appealing Toning).

And fwiw Shane's opinion was it is secondary toning.

Oh, and I really like this one, ST. Where did you get that? That's the best of the bunch!