• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats a cool coin to buy?

41 posts in this topic

The 1894 Morgan. I just read an interesting article on how to authenticate one. Also, it has a LOW Philadelphia mintage of 110,000 (which I already knew). They can be had for $5-10K in MS 64. A GOOD value IMHO.

The 1894 Morgan. I just read an interesting article on how to authenticate one. Also, it has a LOW Philadelphia mintage of 110,000 (which I already knew). They can be had for $5-10K in MS 64. A GOOD value IMHO.
I was actually looking at the 1894 morgan but i can never find anyone with it. Considering they made only 10000 more than the 1893 S and its a lot cheaper. I just have to find someone with a 94.

Such a wide open question with no parameters!

I think an off center error large cent would be cool in AU or Unc. This would be distinctive since they are not commonly seen.

I think an original looking no motto AU Seated Dollar would be great to own since most seated dollars are ruined due to cleaning.

My favorite coin design, though, is the arrows and ray seated half and that is a cool coin to have in any grade.

My favorite coin design, though, is the arrows and ray seated half and that is a cool coin to have in any grade.

One of my favs, also---excellent choice! :thumbsup: I would have to go with an AU-MS example, though.

I think an off center error large cent would be cool in AU or Unc. This would be distinctive since they are not commonly seen.

I think an original looking no motto AU Seated Dollar would be great to own since most seated dollars are ruined due to cleaning.

I thought there aren't that many off center large cents? How come there are so many cleaned seated dollars?

I thought there aren't that many off center large cents? How come there are so many cleaned seated dollars?

Back in the day----it was considered acceptable to wipe and clean coins. That's why so many seated proofs have hairlines.

I was actually looking at the 1894 morgan but i can never find anyone with it. Considering they made only 10000 more than the 1893 S and its a lot cheaper. I just have to find someone with a 94.

Yes---the entire mintage was minted using the same pair of dies, so the die characteristics and diagnostics (no pun intended) are the same for each and every authentic piece.

Back in the day----it was considered acceptable to wipe and clean coins. That's why so many seated proofs have hairlines.

It's such a shame for gorgeous examples to be cleaned :(

I thought there aren't that many off center large cents?

Yes, that's the idea. My advice is to strive to own coins that are distinctive for one reason or several.

BTW - here's an off center large cent from Dave Wnuck, but I see it's already been sold Dave Wnuck's site (while the coin is still listed)

Edited to add pic:

18351c15pcto-c_zps097dc8a9.jpg

I thought there aren't that many off center large cents?

Yes, that's the idea. My advice is to strive to own coins that are distinctive for one reason or several.

BTW - here's an off center large cent from Dave Wnuck, but I see it's already been sold Dave Wnuck's site (while the coin is still listed)

Time to crack open the bank

When I think of a "cool" coin to buy, what comes to mind right away are some mint errors or die varieties that are BOLD AND OBVIOUS even to the naked eye, without magbification.

These are very interesting to me, and are great conversation pieces, even when you show and explain them to non-collectors!

Examples that I like best:

1848 half dime large date

1955/55 lincoln cent

1942-1 mercury dime (Phil. Issue only)

1813 50/UNI Bust Half

1817/3 Bust Half

1820/19 Bust Half

1807 CBH bearded goddess

Etc etc etc.. You get the idea

When I think of a "cool" coin to buy, what comes to mind right away are some mint errors or die varieties that are BOLD AND OBVIOUS even to the naked eye, without magbification.

These are very interesting to me, and are great conversation pieces, even when you show and explain them to non-collectors!

1955/55 lincoln cent

1813 50/UNI Bust Half

1817/3 Bust Half

1820/19 Bust Half

1807 CBH bearded goddess

I get the idea. I got the 1955 double die I want a mint state 1942/41 fb dime. I got to find one

way super cool coin to buy with excellent history AND value opportunity

---circulating contemporary counterfeit federal coins

----decent electrotypes of colonial coins

----1902-o micro o morgan dollars still in third party grading companies slabs by pcgs/ngc/anx

-----1870-cc liberty seated dollar first year and coin struck at carson city mint cant get any more history and romance than that...............................

-----spanish colonial coins struck in south america that circulated in the thirteen colonies

and into the 19th century

-----genuine colonial coins that circulated in the american colonies like the new jersey coppers first coin to have the latin phrase e pluribus unum you find on most every usa circulated coins today in one many in other words you have thirteen separate colonies but under one strong federal govt also to have a shield with thirteen stripes signifying the thirteen original colonies ( i am sure if i am mistaken i will be corrected but it is rather early am here)

-----the list could go on and on for pages

-----

1955/55 lincoln cent

1813 50/UNI Bust Half

1817/3 Bust Half

1820/19 Bust Half

1807 CBH bearded goddess

I get the idea. I got the 1955 double die I want a mint state 1942/41 fb dime. I got to find one

Nice! 42/1 in MS and FB is not gonna be easy, or cheap, to find. I would pick a nice PQ AU example. In 64-65 FB it would probably cost mid 5-figures, and only a handful are graded at this level

1955/55 lincoln cent

1813 50/UNI Bust Half

1817/3 Bust Half

1820/19 Bust Half

1807 CBH bearded goddess

Nice! 42/1 in MS and FB is not gonna be easy, or cheap, to find. I would pick a nice PQ AU example. In 64-65 FB it would probably cost mid 5-figures, and only a handful are graded at this level

I was thinking of trying to find a 62 holder one. Since i can maybe acquire one in full bands for around 4500 hopefully.

I have two favorites the 22 no d now has a gold CAC sticker and the 55dd

1922noD_zps371c2341.jpg55ddrb_zps47c6f7ac.jpg

I'm trying to get the 22 no d but to get a nice one is so tough!