• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats a cool coin to buy?

41 posts in this topic

Since you're asking without any parameters or preconditions, my answer is to get a 1917 type I quarter, with Miss Liberty showing off a bare breast. I'd pick an individual coin where the bare breast is unmistakable, condition not detracting.

They were also made in 1916 but those are relatively rare and extremely expensive.

A US coin with a woman's bare breast couldn't be minted today.

An added bonus for making that choice is its approaching centennial.

Since you're asking without any parameters or preconditions, my answer is to get a 1917 type I quarter, with Miss Liberty showing off a bare breast. I'd pick an individual coin where the bare breast is unmistakable, condition not detracting.

They were also made in 1916 but those are relatively rare and extremely expensive.

I can just see the grading services adding the "FB" designation if your idea were to catch on. lol

I can just see the grading services adding the "FB" designation if your idea were to catch on. lol

Actually, I want to see the designation "FN" as I am looking for a nicely struck example showing what looks to be the nipple. I've seen a few but they were a grade I wasn't comfortable with. To me, that is a cleaner showing of the strike than the FH designation. While it may, or may not, be true, to me it does look like it.

Leave a comment of what kind of coin and why.

Icelandic coins are cool.

I have never actually looked at an Icelandic coin. I'm going to look some up

way super cool coin to buy with excellent history AND value opportunity

---circulating contemporary counterfeit federal coins

----decent electrotypes of colonial coins

----1902-o micro o morgan dollars still in third party grading companies slabs by pcgs/ngc/anx

-----1870-cc liberty seated dollar first year and coin struck at carson city mint cant get any more history and romance than that...............................

-----spanish colonial coins struck in south america that circulated in the thirteen colonies

and into the 19th century

-----genuine colonial coins that circulated in the american colonies like the new jersey coppers first coin to have the latin phrase e pluribus unum you find on most every usa circulated coins today in one many in other words you have thirteen separate colonies but under one strong federal govt also to have a shield with thirteen stripes signifying the thirteen original colonies ( i am sure if i am mistaken i will be corrected but it is rather early am here)

-----the list could go on and on for pages

-----

Yea, verily.

I sold my 1870-CC dollar I bought from David Lawrence years ago, and I wish at times I still had it.

Inexpensive coins with cool stories include:

- Mid-to late 18th century Spanish 2 reales.

These circulated in the colonies and early states for 20 cents, making them the first 20 cent pieces used here.

- Chopmarked coins

They show that they made it to China and back, and common ones are fairly inexpensive. They can get pricey, though, if they are on particular coins or are of a particular design.

- Mid-19th century 1 bu coins

These little rectangular coins were some of the most pure circulating silver coins ever made. I read that an assay of some pieces showed them to be .991 fine. They certainly look "pre modern".

- Early 19th century francs

During the Gold Rush these circulated in California as quarters, even though they only contained 20 to 22 cents worth of silver in them. Speculators imported as many as they could to profit from their overvaluation. By the mid 1850s they were called a "drug on the market" and were only taken at silver value, leaving the holders with a loss.