• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a guess of NT or AT thread? GRADE UPDATE!!

93 posts in this topic

1922 Peace Dollar = Natural Toning (IMHO)

1942 Lincoln = Natural Toning (also IMHO)

I agree with the above.

jom

I've won on long shots before, but not very often. 30-1 odds it grades is definitely a long shot, just as well tape a $2 bill to a rock, throw it off the river bridge and see if it floats...hope it even finishes the race.

Good luck Bobby!

Well it came back from PCGS as

Genuine - UNC Details (94 - Altered Surf.)

Sorry to hear that, Bobby. In light of all the circumstances-----I still think it was worth a shot. Had you not sent it in; you would have always WONDERED. A GOOD LEARNING experience.

What I find wierd is why it was graded altered surfaces. They have codes for color. I examined this coin with a loupe as I do all in-hand purchases for cleaning. No hairlines, circular loops or anything that indicated an obvious cleaning.

Sorry to hear that, Bobby. In light of all the circumstances-----I still think it was worth a shot. Had you not sent it in; you would have always WONDERED. A GOOD LEARNING experience.

You are correct! At least there is still a small market for it to try to recoup my losses. lol

You are correct! At least there is still a small market for it to try to recoup my losses. lol

If you like the piece it's still a great buy :D

Not after paying for submission privileges, grading fees and mailing fees. lol

Mood killer :(

Well, hopefully you will be using the submission privileges (and "free" gradings) on other coins to help spread the cost out.

I would have been amazed if that coin had graded, but IMO it was worth the shot, because if it did grade you'd have been amply rewarded.

As to the altered surfaces, I trust your eyeballs on the coin.

Well, hopefully you will be using the submission privileges (and "free" gradings) on other coins to help spread the cost out.

I would have been amazed if that coin had graded, but IMO it was worth the shot, because if it did grade you'd have been amply rewarded.

As to the altered surfaces, I trust your eyeballs on the coin.

Thanks Sy. I only purchased the lowest membership and may use it again. I'm thinking that they may have suspected a dip or something causing the toning as for the altered surfaces. I thought I checked it good but I'm gonna recheck it when I get it back.

What do you have into the coin ? If its reasonable I'll give you that + a 10% profit.

This is why I hate the way that PCGS assigns codes for details graded coins. Sometimes there is more than one problem, yet only one code will be listed on the slab. As a result, we can't say whether there was something else we missed in the photos, whether PCGS agreed that it was artificial or questionable toning, or possibly all of the above.

Edited: Altered surfaces can mean a lot of things.

This is why I hate the way that PCGS assigns codes for details graded coins. Sometimes there is more than one problem, yet only one code will be listed on the slab. As a result, we can't say whether there was something else we missed in the photos, whether PCGS agreed that it was artificial or questionable toning, or possibly all of the above.

Edited: Altered surfaces can mean a lot of things.

It can also mean nothing, as it is an opinion, and an opinion without full disclosure, which is of no value. at all, and misleading.

A mistake is when you do not learn from something like this. learn from it and it becomes a learning experience and my well pay for itself many fold next time you are offer such a coin.

A mistake is when you do not learn from something like this. learn from it and it becomes a learning experience and my well pay for itself many fold next time you are offer such a coin.

I'm not sure I understand your statement. I don't feel I made a mistake buying this coin. I thought it had a chance of grading and so did others. In the end I'm not going to lose anything, so really I took a chance of it becoming worth quite a bit more than I paid for it, but even with these results is worth more than I paid for it.

Maybe you should send the coin to an advanced toned or peace collector. Or both.

It is not like many coins have not been resubmitted and came back problem free.

I would get another opinion and then maybe just set the coin back for a while. You can always wait till you have a small group going. Even if it is a year from now.

By the way, I like what I see in the pics

Some learning experience. He just learned PCGS has an uneasy feeling about letting this coin play in their market at their price guide so they gave it one of their ill-defined, conclusory, and just-as-meaningless reasons to keep it out. At least he learned for his money it's genuine.

What I find wierd is why it was graded altered surfaces. They have codes for color. I examined this coin with a loupe as I do all in-hand purchases for cleaning. No hairlines, circular loops or anything that indicated an obvious cleaning.
Could be they had a problem with whatever was applied to the surface. Or it could be that, while they were grading 9,000 coins that day, they screwed up one or two.

You could try again. And again. My record is eight for a fair shake. I'm not proud of that but I'm happy I finally got what I felt the coin deserved.

Lance.

Could be they had a problem with whatever was applied to the surface. Or it could be that, while they were grading 9,000 coins that day, they screwed up one or two.

You could try again. And again. My record is eight for a fair shake. I'm not proud of that but I'm happy I finally got what I felt the coin deserved.

Lance.

You submitted the same coin 8 times?

Lance.

I think 8 is actually something you should be proud about......

Bobby, sorry to learn that things didn't go as hoped.

It's interesting to note that PCGS deemed it "Artificial Surfaces". Quite a few years ago, I submitted a Morgan to NGC which also came back (in a body bag) "Artificial Surfaces", and after submitting it for review, the decision was upheld. Then, I submitted it to PCGS and they gave it a problem-free grade at 64PL. Go figure!

Chris

Bobby, sorry to learn that things didn't go as hoped.

It's interesting to note that PCGS deemed it "Artificial Surfaces". Quite a few years ago, I submitted a Morgan to NGC which also came back (in a body bag) "Artificial Surfaces", and after submitting it for review, the decision was upheld. Then, I submitted it to PCGS and they gave it a problem-free grade at 64PL. Go figure!

Chris

One way to figure it is they don't know what they're talking about.

Well it was only hope and a few people saying it was worth the shot was the reasoning behind trying to get it graded. My main intention of buying the coin was because I liked it. I still like the coin and am debating on selling it or keeping it in a problem slab. I have already been offered enough ($200) for it to recoup all the expenses that I have incured for trying to get it graded, so I feel comfortable that it was not a mistake for liking and buying the coin. I have no bad feelings towards pcgs and would not have any negative feelings towards them or ngc if I tried again and it fails. I have respect for both tpg's as do many others or people wouldn't be sending coins to them. I just don't know if I want to play the crackout/resubmit game for the next 2 years. I think I may just wait til I get it back home and see if my feelings for the coin are still there. I appreciate everyone's help, comments, and opinions that I have gotten. Thanks again guys for all your valuable help!!!!