• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a guess of NT or AT thread? GRADE UPDATE!!

93 posts in this topic

While I was out driving around for work, I stopped at a little B&M shop. I found this peace dollar and it intrigued me. The owner says he got it out of an old Whitman album. He didn't want too high of price for it, so I decided to buy it and get ya'lls opinion of it. So do you think it's AT or NT? Feel free to throw some grades at it also.

1922PeaceDollar_zpsf32b5cf8.jpg

Nah. It didn't look like any album toning to me but I'm not an expert by far. I paid $28 for it. Wasn't that much just to put away in my box of misc stuff. lol

Well, I think paying almost double what it's worth is "too much," but it's your money.

:)

Well, I think paying almost double what it's worth is "too much," but it's your money.

:)

Heck I would buy peace dollars all day for $14. Got any for sale??

I love that Peace dollar and I would have bought it. Furthermore, I would send it in as well (if it were me. I am not 100% convinced that it is AT.).

Good idea for a thread. Here is one that I am absolutely clueless about. It is a 1942 proof cent, and although the pic isn't great, you can get the idea... it is a stunner.

20140624_144819-1_zps50737c54.jpg

AT or NT???

Sorry Bobby, AT. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

There is absolutely no way you can be 100% certain from a picture, regardless of picture judging experience.

An opinion, I understand.

Absolute certainty I don't understand. That is not opinion. That is final judgement without reprieve or appeal of sentence.

So do you think it's AT or NT?

Well, let me see. I don't think I ever saw toning quite like that on a Peace Dollar, therefore, it's AT. Then, again, the guy didn't intend to do it, therefore, it's NT. Then, again, still, one side has the toning on it, and the other side doesn't, therefore, it's half-AT, and half-NT. Therefore, it's QT.

So do you think it's AT or NT?

Well, let me see. I don't think I ever saw toning quite like that on a Peace Dollar, therefore, it's AT. Then, again, the guy didn't intend to do it, therefore, it's NT. Then, again, still, one side has the toning on it, and the other side doesn't, therefore, it's half-AT, and half-NT. Therefore, it's QT.

lol (thumbs u

Did that grade?

Even if it theoretically did, it is copper and will tone differently than 90% silver. (I know you know this Sam, but I thought I would throw that out for anyone who is reading along in cyberspace).

There is absolutely no way you can be 100% certain from a picture, regardless of picture judging experience.

Absolute certainty I don't understand. That is not opinion. That is final judgement without reprieve or appeal of sentence.

I never stated that it was absolutely AT, I was just giving my opinion. I believe that's what Bobby asked for and that's what I gave. Bobby is man enough to accept a little constructive criticism or he wouldn't have posted that here.

Now as for submitting it... for the upside of what it might turn out to be if it grades, I would submit it. If it did grade MA, just because I feel it's AT, doesn't mean it would grade AT, someone would snatch that thing up like Kung Fu snatched the pebble from the masters hand given half the chance. And Bobby would be hounding the store owner for the rest of them! :)

Did that grade?
Even if it theoretically did, it is copper and will tone differently than 90% silver. (I know you know this Sam, but I thought I would throw that out for anyone who is reading along in cyberspace).
Thanks for pointing that out. I think there are times we assume that everyone has a certain base knowledge when we don't. I know how copper tones and I know you do, but not everyone does. In fact, proof copper tones differently from mint state copper. Anyhow, I have a 1940 I believe proof cent that is ugly mottled but when you turn it in the right orientation it has beautiful colors, but only when tilted. I would have never guessed it would have graded but it did. PCGS holder in case you're wondering.

I never stated that it was absolutely AT, I was just giving my opinion. I believe that's what Bobby asked for and that's what I gave. Bobby is man enough to accept a little constructive criticism or he wouldn't have posted that here.

Now as for submitting it... for the upside of what it might turn out to be if it grades, I would submit it. If it did grade MA, just because I feel it's AT, doesn't mean it would grade AT, someone would snatch that thing up like Kung Fu snatched the pebble from the masters hand given half the chance. And Bobby would be hounding the store owner for the rest of them! :)

I'm thankful for all of the opinions I'm getting. It's been about 50/50 ATS also. The pro 50% is saying it's worth trying to slab. Some of the Neg 50% is saying it's worth the shot also. lol I was actually offered 5x what I paid for it already. I don't really think I made too bad a decision at this point. hm

lol Heck Bobby, I'm in the AT camp and I'm saying slab that sucker! If it doesn't make it then you might still have that offer for 5x what you paid because at some point, one of the big two will probably put that in a no problem slab!!

An opinion starts with I think, I vote, it looks like, etc.

A qualifier.

"Sorry...,hope you didn't pay too much for it." is finite certainty, and an absolute statement. It is not even constructive criticism.

It has nothing to do with being man enough to accept an opinion.

Had you posted with a qualifier, and then posted the 2nd paragraph from your most recent Post as part of it, then that I understand.

Finality and "sorry" judgement from a picture I do not understand.

I'm sorry I offended you John. Please accept my most sincere apology with my statement below.

Bobby, I believe that coin to be quite possibly AT. In no way am I stating that that coin is absolutely AT. I hope that's the way you took my original statement as that's the way I meant it.

And for those that read complete and total finality in my statement, you were wrong and you don't know me.

Thanks for listening. :)

No opinions that have been posted here have offended me in any way! I appreciate your post also John and I have learned that people express opinions in their own way. Non have been offensive. Not even RWB's. lol

I never stated that it was absolutely AT

Otherwise known as, AAT. :grin:

PS: Do we ever think to ask whether we like it, or do we only think to ask whether the "graders" like it? I know one thing the "graders" love, keeping us collecting toning on these silly standards.

PPS: And just for the record, I'd have bought that coin in a heartbeat at that price...

No opinions that have been posted here have offended me in any way! I appreciate your post also John and I have learned that people express opinions in their own way. Non have been offensive. Not even RWB's. lol
Bobby, I don't know about you... but RWB almost always offends me... but not absolutely every time. :)

Bobby, I don't know about you... but RWB almost always offends me... but not absolutely every time. :)

lol Yea, but I enjoy his knowledge, so that takes over the rest. lol

So I've never been one to take a gamble, but I'm thinking of trying to get this slabbed. If it doesn't grade and an offer I was given still stands, I really wouldn't be out the grading fees. If the offer goes away, then it's just a gamble that I take.

Bobby, I think that you ought to go ahead and send that awful toned Peace dollar to me. I will go ahead and pay for you picking it up for me (ie handling charge) and be glad to take it off your hands. ;)