• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Looks REALLY Suspicious

15 posts in this topic

I was perusing ebay listings and came across this listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1944-D-Jefferson-Nickel-Five-Cent-PCGS-MS67-FS-25286575-/281355649995?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item41821a83cb

There seems to be something really off about this to me--maybe I'm just becoming a skeptic but my radar started buzzing.

First---I bought my 44-D MS67 FS nickel for less than $200...this coin does have a "+" but the price is ridiculous!

Second-- the coin looks kinda milky and has black lines on each side...not even close to what I'd think a 67 would look like ( although they are photos and in-hand could be different.?)

Third-- even with the high magnitude zoom on the reverse, there is clearly flatness in the are of the steps ( again, unless it is poor photography)--no way is this full steps...

The seller has over 10k transactions with 100% and his other auctions look legit ( maybe he sells so many coins that an occasional dud gets into his inventory?)..

What say you all? Is this some kind of sham?..is it even a real PCGS slab? By the photos what would you grade this coin?.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1944-D-Jefferson-Nickel-Five-Cent-PCGS-MS67-FS-25286575-/281355649995?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item41821a83cb

Looks totally fine --- just bad pics!! Using the PCGS value guide it is a couple hundred above value for a top rank PCGS set competition piece. For a NGC set and using coin world values you would think the price is well overpriced.

I have some coins that NGC value guide is tooooo low in my opinion and the prices are based higher to accommodate their rarity, just as I would say this coin is!! :)

Rick

This shows on the pcgs price guide at $650.

the 67+ are at $1350

with only 3 graded 68

You are right! I wasn't looking at the "+" price.

A pleasant $10 coin....nothing more.

I would love to look at all of your $10 and under coins to see which ones I would offer you double for.

That's approximately what it is worth to me. If you wish to pay more for common pieces, please do. This stuff exists in thousand-roll quantities.

thanks for those images from the PCGS website...it makes the coin look VERY different. Those black lines are actually just gold/brown streaks and the steps look full.

Still, I'll never get used to the ridiculous jump in asking costs for coins that get a "+"......like I wrote in a journal entry a while ago, I saw some on-line dealers asking more for an MS65+ than an MS 67 !! (shrug)

from the PCGS images it appears the steps are not full at the bottom under the third column.

PCGS just requires 5 steps (except recent stuff) while NGC will designate if 5 Step or 6 Step