• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Morgan, only had 2 min. to bid! Updated pics last post!!

27 posts in this topic

So I'm working out of town and just sittin in my hotel room. I get to looking on the bay and I ran across this Morgan on ebay Well it looked at least MS62 with some end of roll toning. Was I wrong or do you think it was worth it? Thanks!!

Looks washed out. Rim hits are a real negative but it might work out.

14 day return, only way to buy.

I seen those, didn't think they would cause a bodybag if graded?? I'm not going to have it graded but just suggesting if they would.

Looks washed out. Rim hits are a real negative but it might work out.

14 day return, only way to buy.

I seen those, didn't think they would cause a bodybag if graded?? I'm not going to have it graded but just suggesting if they would.

In my opinion, the hits are not serious enough to cause a no grade situation. It (in addition the the chatter on the obverse) is enough to keep it below a MS62, and I wouldn't be surprised with anything in the AU58-MS61 range. In hand, be sure to assess the luster. In addition to friction on the high points, you should also look for friction in the field. In any event, with the toning, I think you could easily recoup your money if you don't like it.

I'd say that's bag toning and not EOR... Nonetheless I hope you like it!

I agree.

Yep I agree also. I get confused at some of the different types of toning. Definately not EOR. I did like the toning though, just hoping it has a little bit more umph to it just to toss in with my other raw morgans. lol

I'd say that's bag toning and not EOR... Nonetheless I hope you like it!

I agree.

Yep I agree also. I get confused at some of the different types of toning. Definately not EOR. I did like the toning though, just hoping it has a little bit more umph to it just to toss in with my other raw morgans. lol

For whatever it is worth to you, I don't often see 1881-O Morgans with nice color that often, so it does stand out (in a good way). Also the 1881-O is a better date piece.

Nice find Bobby. I think 62 max if you decide to get it graded, but in hand, I'd check the high points for wear.

Either way, you picked up a 81-O with some attractive toning for a vey nice price.

I certainly don't see how it could be a bad deal with the coin pictured, and the price you paid... and yes, I would also agree that it is a 62 or poss 63 if the coin looks spectacular in-hand....

I like it. I love those, "oh , only minute left before it ends" type of coin-purchases.. they add a fun and exciting spin to the never-ending Ebay surfing....

Thanks guys!! I think it'll be worth keeping. I didn't buy it to slab or make any profit on it, just to lay next to the others I have. lol

I like it better inhand. The pics are just a little darker than it actually is but I wanted the luster and color to show. I still think it is a nice MS62 after getting it inhand.

I don't know if it's here or ats but here seem to like it and those ats think I got screwed. I think its fine myself. I see decent MS details but others think because of some rim nics that its circulated. Couldn't the rim nics be caused by bag storage? I would think the if circulated that there would be more flatness in the high points. (shrug)

I don't know if it's here or ats but here seem to like it and those ats think I got screwed. I think its fine myself. I see decent MS details but others think because of some rim nics that its circulated. Couldn't the rim nics be caused by bag storage? I would think the if circulated that there would be more flatness in the high points. (shrug)

Yes, the rim nicks could be caused by storage in a mint bag.

could be caused by being dropped in the bottom of the bucket and then having hundreds of others dropped right on top of it shortly after it was minted, or in the bag with 1000 others while taking the bumpy wagon ride to whichever bank it ended up at... and/or possibly by someone (or a machine) who had a hopper full, and wrapped them in $20 rolls.... regardless though, it is Uncirculated. No matter what the surface preservation of a coin looks like, there is a very big difference between "ware" and "contact marks" (scuffs/dings/abrasions/scratches/etc)

I feel I am "the newbie" when it comes to coins, and it is very interesting to me that so many in this hobby are so quick to share/voice their opinions about a grade when it is so apparent that they do not even understand the basic fundamentals about the ins and outs of "coin-grading". I It is something I noticed right away, but it still surprises me.

Nice coin, I stick with MS63. But lets say it is a AU, for someone who thinks it is AU to say you got "taken" or whatever they said... makes even less sense to me. downers man....