• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mailing Coins

30 posts in this topic

I get the Priority Mail envelopes from the post office and cut them up. I wrap the sealed pouch I make for the coin in bubble wrap from the dollar store (a few inches does the job) then put that in a bubble mailer.

I've never heard any complaints.

I see no problem with the usps paying customers using as many of their free priority mailers, bubble mailers and tyvek envelopes as they need to guarantee safe delivery. I also will buy photo mailers in the case of when I need them when shipping currency. I also order sandwich mailers for coin shipments.

I get the Priority Mail envelopes from the post office and cut them up. I wrap the sealed pouch I make for the coin in bubble wrap from the dollar store (a few inches does the job) then put that in a bubble mailer.

Cutting up their Priority Mail supplies for use inside a non-priority shipment may be seen as a misuse of the product by the USPS. It would be interesting to know their opinion on the matter.

Cutting up their Priority Mail supplies for use inside a non-priority shipment may be seen as a misuse of the product by the USPS. It would be interesting to know their opinion on the matter.

from one of my priority mail envelopes

this packaging is the property of the u.s. postal service and is provided solely for use in sending priority mail shipments

misuse may be a violation of federal law. this packaging is not for resale. EP14 copyright u.s. postal service

If anyone remembers, the US Mint used to use USPS priority mail boxes to mail their products (for rolls and bags), even though they didn't use priority mail. They also used the boxes as packaging, while shipping them inside other boxes.

The USPS forced them to stop and the mint started using generic non-priority mail boxes. Same sort of packaging, but no USPS printing on it.

The tag on my pillow says "do not remove under penalty of law". Should I worry about tearing it off too? If I used their boxes to move or something then they'd have a gripe. To cut up a mailing envelope to mail an envelope seems like seems like an empty complaint.

The tag on my pillow says "do not remove under penalty of law". Should I worry about tearing it off too?

That tag is there to prove that the pillow/mattress whatever is a new product and not second hand. The retailer is actually supposed to remove the tag once the item is sold/delivered, but no one does.

I currently use a similar procedure but would like something a bit simpler.

I'm thinking perhaps a stiff cardboard mailing envelope in conjunction with the corregated Safe-T-Mailer.

this packaging is the property of the u.s. postal service and is provided solely for use in sending priority mail shipments

misuse may be a violation of federal law. this packaging is not for resale. EP14 copyright u.s. postal service

But if you have already shipped or received something in the box and would otherwise receive something in one of them, I wouldn't see it as misuse to recycle the individual components and put them to good use.

But if you have already shipped or received something in the box and would otherwise receive something in one of them, I wouldn't see it as misuse to recycle the individual components and put them to good use.

And, THAT is the distinction missing from those that would abuse the system. If YOU, or someone else, has LEGITIMATELY paid for the services that those boxes are for, then it should be ok.

However, Raisethis2 (and others) seem to be all about "well, it is there, so I will do what I want". Just because something is there doesn't mean you should help yourself outside of the bounds of what it is there for.

For instance.....around here, there are some places that have an honor system for flowers. The homeowners grow flowers, put out a few bouquets near the end of their driveway, don't "man the station" but put out something to collect payment in. Would it be ok to just drive by and take one? I would hope not.

Same thing with the boxes being discussed. The only way that the USPS could "fix" the problem would be not to offer the boxes until the service is purchased...then, people would complain.

So, people that abuse the system are the ones helping the costs go UP for all the rest of us. The boxes don't magically fall free to the ground outside the USPS buildings....someone has to pay for it.

This "justifying" of theft is always fun....like a few years ago on the PCGS boards when a member talked about taking coins out of the vacuum refuse in a bank. May be in the trash, but it is still bank property.

And, THAT is the distinction missing from those that would abuse the system. If YOU, or someone else, has LEGITIMATELY paid for the services that those boxes are for, then it should be ok.

However, Raisethis2 (and others) seem to be all about "well, it is there, so I will do what I want". Just because something is there doesn't mean you should help yourself outside of the bounds of what it is there for.

For instance.....around here, there are some places that have an honor system for flowers. The homeowners grow flowers, put out a few bouquets near the end of their driveway, don't "man the station" but put out something to collect payment in. Would it be ok to just drive by and take one? I would hope not.

Same thing with the boxes being discussed. The only way that the USPS could "fix" the problem would be not to offer the boxes until the service is purchased...then, people would complain.

So, people that abuse the system are the ones helping the costs go UP for all the rest of us. The boxes don't magically fall free to the ground outside the USPS buildings....someone has to pay for it.

This "justifying" of theft is always fun....like a few years ago on the PCGS boards when a member talked about taking coins out of the vacuum refuse in a bank. May be in the trash, but it is still bank property.

I have to admit that I have cut up Priority Mail boxes as stiffeners for mailing SMS Sets in bubble mailers

BUT

I did not procure the boxes for that particular reason. I procured them for mailing out multiples of Proof Sets and IKE Dollars.

They just happened to be there when I needed a stiffener and please, no wise-cracks! OK?

Huh....I just stick the stamp on one side of the coin and an address label to the other side. It's a little hard on proofs, but you can't see much change on the stuff graded MS-60-MS63 - they already have a lot of hairlines and marks.

Huh....I just stick the stamp on one side of the coin and an address label to the other side. It's a little hard on proofs, but you can't see much change on the stuff graded MS-60-MS63 - they already have a lot of hairlines and marks.

Ah you're just effing with me Roger!

I actually had a package sent to me the other day and when I opened it, there was about 4 new large priority mail envelopes in the top used for packing. I put them up to use for mailing something another day. The only time I use priority envelopes for packing is when I'll pack a bubble wrap envelope into a priority envelope and them put that in a priority box to mail. I guess that could be considered wrong but it does eliminate any movement inside the box. Of course, I haven't even mailed one thing this year so far.

Bochiman has a rather harsh view of others at times. I've paid for those envelopes many times over as a taxpayer and postal customer. Using a small piece of one for packaging to protect something BEING MAILED seems hardly the crime of the century.

Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of unused postage has been sold by the post office to Collectors over the years. These stamps will never be redeemed because they are in albums, drawers and files. This should result in the postal service having an enormous surplus. Rather, they're always broke. I suppose I'm the cause of that too.

People talk about opening taking advantage of others (people or a system) and what could/should be considered "theft", and, yes, I do take a harsh view.

No, you have NOT paid for those many times over. Not even once it appears. They are there to be used for the service paid. Not paying for a service and using many of them and calling it even.

Attitudes like you are displaying IS PART of the cause of their financial issues. Every little bit adds up. Always easier to think you don't do anything wrong, but, if you were honest to yourself, you would see that you are trying to find a gray area to justify your actions.

Do you go to the "take a penny" cups in stores and just empty them all into your own pocket? I am sure you can find a way to say you have "paid for them many times over" and that they were there for your use and taking ;)

By the way, according to your earlier post, you don't take ONE and cut it up, you take many....

Nice that you BUY from somewhere else, because you can't just take, but that, for the post office, you just load up and take and cut them up, so they have to pay multiple expenses (new boxes, transport, storage, etc) in order to replace so PAYING customers can use them. And, if you weren't using them at the agreed service level, then you shouldn't attempt to consider yourself a PAYING customer when it comes to that specific example.

You really have issues.

I would agree. It must be very difficult to be as perfect as Bochiman. Lord knows I have a ways to go. :)

Perfect? No. I make mistakes. But, I don't go around stealing from others, nor do I go around trying to justify it or be proud about it.

I have been told, many times, I don't "do gray". I am more black and white.

Sorry if that bothers people that like to justify getting away with things like theft of product or services.

You really have issues.

I would agree. It must be very difficult to be as perfect as Bochiman. Lord knows I have a ways to go. :)

Perfect? No. I make mistakes. But, I don't go around stealing from others, nor do I go around trying to justify it or be proud about it.

Sorry if that bothers people that like to justify getting away with things like theft of product or services.

lol, moral superiority rears its pompous head. Have a self-inflated day! :)

The boxes don't magically fall free to the ground outside the USPS buildings....someone has to pay for it.

Has the postal service tried planting box trees? hm

I've used the Uline mailers and shipping boxes. They are sturdy and I've never had a problem with finding the right size.

Where can I get some good solid stiff cardboard mailers??

I am not sure what you want, but ULINE has most things shipping

uline stay flat mailers

Thanks. I believe that this is what I am looking for.

A year or so back, I purchased the plastic bubble mailers and quickly decided that, even though they saved weight, I did not care for the sealing flaps which were difficult, for me, to get them to fold over evenly with what looked like a good seal. Instead, I'd always fumble with them creating bumps which could conceivable get caught in automated sorting machines. I guess I'm too anal.

At any rate, with the rise in Priority Mail rates (prolly too much overhead what with free supplies and all) I am looking for something that provides protection and ease in handling but is lightweight for cheaper 1st Class postage costs.

These Uline mailers might just do the trick.

As for Bochiman, I fully understand his position and support his views. Nothing comes free as costs get absorbed in other ways. Usually, this is through higher postage costs back to the consumer.

BTW, like the US Mint, the United States Postal Service is not supported by US Tax Dollars. As such, simply paying your taxes does not in any way support the USPS. They have to earn there way and like FedEx and UPS, HAVE to offer these free shipping supplies in order to stay competitive.

I like bubble mailers

like these on eBay

I agree with the questionable seal

I use eBay/PAYPAL shipping so include plenty of tape, over every edge and seal

Sometimes I even get a box of damaged/returns at a local auction that frequently has defective seals, which doesn't bug me as I use tape there anyway

You really have issues.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u ^^